Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202930
Results 1,016 to 1,028 of 1028

Thread: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Default Re: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Place to live? Isn't that what boats are for? Can't see the point in houses, they don't go anywhere, not even straight downwind.
    Fair point, but with your excitement about no rego etc on trailers, that would imply using a car. Car+trailer+boat = expensive storage. I had friends paying more to live afloat alongside a wall than some peoples monthly mortgage. If the idea is to travel, UK is wet and ............! Warmer spots down South with better food and cheaper living.

Hmmm, I see what you mean. My rose coloured glasses are becoming less tinted, but it seemed very exciting to hear that there are places in the world which don't have the ridiculous degree of idiotic red tape which seems the norm down in this part of the world. Peter's trailer is a typical example.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Fair point, but with your excitement about no rego etc on trailers, that would imply using a car. Car+trailer+boat = expensive storage. I had friends paying more to live afloat alongside a wall than some peoples monthly mortgage. If the idea is to travel, UK is wet and ............! Warmer spots down South with better food and cheaper living.
    Sailing JIM to the UK might be pushing things a bit !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Sailing JIM to the UK might be pushing things a bit !
    yes, i hear pushing upstream against the Danube from the Black Sea is a bit challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    yes, i hear pushing upstream against the Danube from the Black Sea is a bit challenging.
    So how about having craft that can be loaded onto a hired box trailer, for hauling through Europe in a northerly direction.
    Going the other way has been done by kayak alone.

This was down through Germany, starting on the Danube then switching to the Vardar and making it to the Med......then down the Euphrates to the Persian gulf and coasting or Island hopping on down to Australia.
    having the ability to load onto a hired trailer has got to be the best way around all these beaurocratic issues.
    Of course` it means the design has to be considerably 'outside the box'

^, Yes, it was that German fella in the Kayak that makes the journey seem possible (in theory). Many boats will slide onto a flat bed or car recovery trailer. I did hear of one guy who towed a boat down to Greece on a cheap trailer and a cheap car which he scrapped once he got down there; i think he justified the cost by saying what he spent in 4 days, he would have spent had he gone the water route over 4 months. Much would depend on if you see the destination as the target or the journey. It would certainly make a lot of sense to me to trailer to Lofoten Islands and cruise for the summer, rather than spending most of the summer trying to get there and back, and losing time actually being there. Small boats definately have an advantage here, and we know small boats can go almost anywhere, in the right hands....

^, Having heard just yesterday, that beurocratic approval is now necessary here in NZ for home-built trailers, the small boat idea for hire trailer transport makes all the more sense.
    German Oskar Speck showed that staying afloat does work......if living without shelter for the sake of a favourable outcome at journeys end is the prime objective.

Starting off from where he ended up is of course entirely different, so I think that some shelter and sail propulsion needs to be a basic requirement.
    Sail and oar with shelter, offers as much as any fit and able person needs; especially if they can have shade and rain catching ability from an overhead tarp, while in the tropics.

How about a plywood craft that can be handled by one person (in the trailering and launching), but can accomodate at least 2 persons for overnight periods when sailing.
    Sure, it would be difficult to achieve this at the same time as staying within the basic auxiliary sail powered rowboat of Europeantype.
    It also means stability needs to be gained by using 2 hulls, although, having 2 essentially conventional (albeit skinny) boast joined by Beams or a bridge deck is not going do the trick, I think.
    Something right out of the box cold be the thing, however.

Would I build this craft?, definitely once Have finished the bigger Pahi.
    Last edited by Lugalong; 10-29-2018 at 03:13 PM.

I've just finished a trailer for my boat. Make sure you check with the rego department about requirements. I'm having trouble at the moment because I need receipts for every bit of steel and all the components.... and I didn't know so didn't keep them.

Attachment 25005
    If the Registration process becomes too problematic I can always register it for you in Queensland which is still easy for homebuilt trailers.When the initial 6 month rego runs out you register it back in your name with a bill of sale.

Although not designed for offshore, the Core Sound 17-20 Mk3 can sleep two, self righting with water ballast (i would fit a fresh water liner inside the tank that can fill with sea water as the fresh is consumed) , and only needs the cheapest kind of trailer and small vehicle to pull it.
    That book 2 years in a 12ft boat was a bit of an eye opener for minimal adventure too. I think the real limits are defined by the individual human stuff, rather than the fundamental size and weight of the boat.
    Been a few of Maderski Pasja 15s crossing of the Atlantic now, none have been lost, and not that slow either, another boat that will tow on an unbraked trailer behind a tiny car, yes you can have your cake and eat it.........

I've just finished a trailer for my boat. Make sure you check with the rego department about requirements. I'm having trouble at the moment because I need receipts for every bit of steel and all the components.... and I didn't know so didn't keep them.

Attachment 25005
    Out of curiosity, how does building your own trailer compare to buying one, price and functionality wise? I'm pricing trailers for a 22'-24' boat and the prices vary from $5,000 to $10,000. I have zero experience welding, but am happy to learn if it saves me a couple of grand!

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

A bloke on Waiheke built a Centennial II, kept it in Putiki Bay near where he lived. I saw it when nearly ready to launch - he seemed to have done a good, true-to-plan job. Shortly after launch I saw him grounded out for a tide at Awaawaroa Bay, not too far from home. Next time I anchored in Putiki Bay she was ashore at the yacht club and for sale. Seems she was out for an afternoon sail on Putiki Bay, caught a gust, fell on her ear, and stayed there. I was told that the ballasted bilge boards (leeboards?) were down at the time. Bloke had a real fright and put her up for sale - don't know what happened to her.
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    We spent 6 months in Tonga and Fiji on my dads 23 footer. Back then there was no limit on personal baggage on cruise ships. We initially hired a car trailer planning to tow the boat to Sydney then load it onto the Oriana I think as baggage. It turned out to be too heavy for the trailer so we got a backload on a truck. All a bit frantic as the cruise was booked. The ship craned her straight into the water in Nukualofa. Maybe she qualifies as an offshore capable trailer boat. Almost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which reminds me that back not a few years, there was an Aussie airline pilot who had a 30' Maurice Griffith "Waterwitch"(?), the leeboard version called "Iota". If he wanted to cruise in (say) Tahiti, he'd have the boat lifted onto a freighter (usually in those days with its own derrick), dropped onto a layer of old car tyres on the deck and lashed down. On arrival at Papeete (or wherever) the process was reversed and the boat parked ..... somewhere. The owner would fly in, lift the rig into position ("Iota" was a ketch) and away she'd go. After cruising in the chosen waters, she was either shipped home or to her next destination.
    On the same theme, I've read of the doings of such as Albert Strange, George Holmes and others in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They sailed ballasted canoe yawls in some pretty rugged places, and also loaded their boats onto trains and coasters so could they explore France, Germany, Denmark etc. etc. The modern version might be your "Outback Truckers". Instead of a trailer, build a good sturdy cradle - forklifts can be found all over, marinas have their travellifts as well.
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

Oskar Speck did not arrive in Australia on the same boat he left Germany. The Pionier factory replaced it a few times when it got damaged. But his was a folding kayak, you could ship that in a crate.

How about the inflatable russian trimaran? Build in Siberia, shipped to Thailand, sailed to Brazil. Can also handle surf.