Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192829

Thread: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Default Re: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by jan labij View Post
    Small mains and large jibs make happy sailmakers and happy racers.
    Is this post from the 1970's?

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I don't think weight makes a lot of difference as long as the tow vehicle is up to it. Draft is the bigger bugaboo. If the waterline is 4' above the pavement, that means backing a long way down the ramp. If the waterline is just 2' off the ground, it's pretty easy to float the boat off at most ramps. Where I launch, if you back down too far the wheels go off the ramp and into mud. Not good.
    Sure! weight of even powerful and solid motor fishing boats are regularly taken care of by some fishermen down south on the west coast of the NZ South Island.....I'm not sure exactly where, because I have only seen TV footage of it happening - where they use Caterpillars to haul the trailers over soft sand beaches, right into the surf break.Launching and retrieving through breaking waves directly onto trailers with fences to to guide the boats on and off.
    Conditions there are as rough as it gets anywhere along the Australian S coast, or even the North Atlantic seaboard of America, for the matter.

Draught comes into things, in that these are power craft.
    Sailing requirements would probably favour a scow then, if using a Caterpillar is OK.

Going smaller and lighter gets around both weight and draught issues, if multihulls simply have to be disqualified.

This kind of racing is still going on here because 10's of thousands of I.O.R. boats were built here back in the hay day of factory built fiberglass boats. These are still popular because there are so many of them. They rate under PHRF rules, which, in theory, "is the most carefully made handicapping system known to man," or so they say.

Yep, but the racing rigs created by the technology of the '70s can't be related to cruising or racing rigs of 2018. As someone who has changed their boat from an IOR style masthead rig to a modern short-overlap fractional rig, it's gotta be said that you really can't compare the two.

I think sailmakers are happy either way, a 3 sided sail is always cheaper than a 4 sided sail; though there is more hardware in a big main the equivalent sized headsail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Yep, but the racing rigs created by the technology of the '70s can't be related to cruising or racing rigs of 2018. As someone who has changed their boat from an IOR style masthead rig to a modern short-overlap fractional rig, it's gotta be said that you really can't compare the two.
    Well, if the modern short overlap fractional rig has the advantage in both cruising and racing over the masthead 150% genoa school of design, which I don't doubt, then it has to be better by comparison, so it is "related".