Page 1 of 28 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Default An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Does such a thing exist? I don't mean a globe girdler rather a boat capable of extended along shore passages but with the ability to return home via trailer if the need arose.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 04-07-2018 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Plenty of boats in the 20-24' range would be able to meet that requirement I feel. Also, 40 footers are trailerable, but you have to hire the trailer! Maybe not a big deal if its just once at the end of a bucket-list voyage.

What construction method and type are you considering?

How about Oughtred's Grey Seal or Roan Mhor?

Is it wrong if the first phrase that came to mind was "Dana 24"? Probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

That is pretty much the design brief for the Eun Mara
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by Foerster View Post
    How about Oughtred's Grey Seal or Roan Mhor?
    Yes, the best so far ..
    Grateful Dead

Well there's the Folkboat and it's derivatives.

Jester
    Leo of Tally Ho fane, decked over his cockpit before crossing the pond.
    Tanya Abei sailed a Contessa 26 around the world.

They're not readily trailerable, but they don't need very special equipment or permits

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Well there's the Folkboat and it's derivatives.
    The folkboat was a first thought to my mind, although the full keel makes launching interesting unless you are sure you have a deep/steep enough ramp, crane, or one heck of a long tounge extension on the trailer.

So I would add the qualifier of where and how you want to launch for this question as well. As you could end up with a fully trailerable boat that you can't actually get off the trailer into the water in all places.

L Francis Herreshoff's "Carpenter" (18', there are longer versions) might be just the thing is you want seriously seaworthy.

She has a flat dory bottom so you can draw her up on a beach with rollers. Easily made suitable to sleep aboard and do all necessaries under a tent whether ashore or anchored out. And a very capeable exploration boat.

There's many of them; anything from Hunter 19s to Noelex 30s to Hobie 33s. They've done Transatlantics, Sydney-Hobarts and Transpacs respectively.

Hunter 19s.jpg

Noelex.jpg

Hobie 33.jpg

To be honest I have to think that when it comes to trailerable boats, the classics must be compromised in some respects by their extra displacement, all else being equal. And around Peter's coastline the slightly lower speed could also be problematic due to the fact that almost all the entrances are over river bars, so one has to follow the schedule of the tides, often while fighting a current.

Of course, if the heart desires a classic it's a different matter.

We used to have Noelex 30's here, until all the Aussies bought them up and took them away, presumably for all those bar ports and estuaries you have .

Wharram Tiki 21 or 26 as an 'alternative' choice?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Yes, the best so far ..
    +1

and Eel! a historic hull.

and of course... Centennial.

certainly off shore capable... with the original having a trans Atlantic crossing under it's belt in 1876!

"off shore"

waiting for the tide to trailer back from Gloucester
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 03-22-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Daniel, do you know if the Holmes Eel plans are available anywhere ?
    Grateful Dead

A photo of her now.

Grateful Dead

The trailer cruiser is what I am interested in as well. Short list so far is Rohn Mohr, or a stretched Welsford Penguin. I need a berth with memory foam and a little room. Now I have to look into this Eel, I like it.

Must be one of those lost in translation things.To me Offshore means leaving, going to sea and staying there on the way to another country.
    We mostly do coastal trips here and anchor at night. Thats coastal sailing , not offshore, even if we're 20 miles out on the way.
    You talk about an offshore capable yacht here you're talking about one that can go to Tonga.

Daniel, do you know if the Holmes Eel plans are available anywhere ?
    I think you may be looking at them... not sure about offsets... these folk may be able to help.

http://www.canoeyawl.org/?p=149

Yes, I've been there before but the "Holmes" tab won't open ...... h'mmm nothing seems to open on that site.
    Grateful Dead

try this link... it's opening for me.

http://www.canoeyawl.org/?cat=31

Nice on with the Eel Daniel.

http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/sm.../sail/tamara24

713637F2-8998-45D1-8E30-C1ACF5E61CF3.jpg

Tamara is a 24’ Raised Deck Canoe Yawl designed for comfortable accommodation for two adults. Tamara's traditional graceful lines are reminiscent of Maurice Griffiths' Tamaris. However, Tamara is lighter displacement for trailerability with modern construction and appendages. >
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Must be one of those lost in translation things.To me Offshore means leaving, going to sea and staying there on the way to another country.
    We mostly do coastal trips here and anchor at night. Thats coastal sailing , not offshore, even if we're 20 miles out on the way.
    You talk about an offshore capable yacht here you're talking about one that can go to Tonga.
    It does seem to be a translation issue; here "offshore" is outside a harbour. I tend to think that the shape of many of our harbours, ports and rivers means that there's a more sudden transition between "inshore" and "offshore" which may affect the terminology, and along much of the coast there's a ground swell almost all of the time that makes it feel very different to sailing off some places in the UK, Europe or USA.

Or Hobart from Brisbane though Honiara seems a reasonable goal too. Bass Strait seems to have it's own requirements .... unless you are lucky and have the time to wait for the perfect window..
    Grateful Dead

Along with all the suggestions so far, there are a number of fold-up trimarans that fit the description if it's extended coastal crusing, and a few that can and have crossed oceans. Farrier's trimarans top this list. How easily does the boat need to be trailered? That's the question that determines how much boat you can consider, both in overall length and displacement.

Another forumite just launched a Bolger Seabird '86, which is designed to this purpose. But do you want to tow 5,000 pounds or so of boat and trailer?

-Dave

Peter, where were you intending to use her? If it's around your neck of the woods you're going to be facing 50 nm passages sometimes against a couple of knots of set, aren't you? Given the speed of canoe yawls, that could mean some singlehanded overnight coastal passages which can be tricky things. It would also mean a boat that can push fast-running river currents under motor, which means probably a 5 hp motor at least.

Bolger also did a "Centennial II" for ocean crossings... which unfortunately falls pretty flat compared with most anything else... including the original.

I dont understand why Bolger didn't just do Centennial II as a 20' sheet ply Banks Dory similar to the original but for ameteure construction?

VS

Frank Dye went offshore in a Wayfarer more than once. I'm not sure that anyone else has repeated those efforts though.

Jeff

Or Hobart from Brisbane though Honiara seems a reasonable goal too. Bass Strait seems to have it's own requirements .... unless you are lucky and have the time to wait for the perfect window..
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Along with all the suggestions so far, there are a number of fold-up trimarans that fit the description if it's extended coastal crusing, and a few that can and have crossed oceans. Farrier's trimarans top this list. How easily does the boat need to be trailered? That's the question that determines how much boat you can consider, both in overall length and displacement.

Another forumite just launched a Bolger Seabird '86, which is designed to this purpose. But do you want to tow 5,000 pounds or so of boat and trailer?

Not with any vehicle I'd want to drive .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    try this link... it's opening for me.

http://www.canoeyawl.org/?cat=31
    Thanks Daniel, that worked .The lack of offsets is a problem, though I could draw the lines out from the little drawing.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    It does seem to be a translation issue; here "offshore" is outside a harbour. I tend to think that the shape of many of our harbours, ports and rivers means that there's a more sudden transition between "inshore" and "offshore" which may affect the terminology, and along much of the coast there's a ground swell almost all of the time that makes it feel very different to sailing off some places in the UK, Europe or USA.
    so true, and so much depends on the weather and weather paterns... Here on the Northshore of Massachusetts we typically get a couple days warning from modern weather services before a big blow, in previous generations this was not so.

but when sailing waters capable of these conditions it is wise to stay alert.

Here's the Marine forecast for our last Noreaster, these are my typical sailing grounds... scary stuff
    Seas are reported as significant wave height, which is the average of the highest third of the waves. Individual wave heights may be more than twice the significant wave height.

Massachusetts Bay And Ipswich Bay-
    Tonight

NE winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt, increasing to 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 40 kt after midnight. Seas 4 to 7 ft. A chance of rain this evening, then rain after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Vsby 1 to 3 nm, decreasing to 1 nm or less after midnight.

Fri

NE winds 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 50 kt, increasing to 35 to 45 kt with gusts up to 65 kt in the afternoon. Seas 16 to 21 ft. Patchy fog. Rain. Vsby 1 nm or less.

Fri Night

N winds 35 to 45 kt. Gusts up to 65 kt, decreasing to 55 kt after midnight. Seas 21 to 26 ft. Patchy fog. Rain. Vsby 1 nm or less.

Sat

N winds 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 50 kt. Seas 17 to 22 ft. A chance of rain.

Sat Night

N winds 25 to 30 kt, diminishing to 20 to 25 kt after midnight. Gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 12 to 17 ft.

Sun

N winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 10 to 15 ft.

William Garden's version of "Eel" is pretty nice, to...although I'm not sure I'd want to try taking one across the Bass Straight. https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...aysailer_plans

Shown here in a raised deck version:

Raised Deck Eel.jpg

Not with any vehicle I'd want to drive .

Coming in at about half the weight of Seabird 86 and not much more in size and weight of Eun na Mara is Welsford's Penguin. I've long admired this design as one that packs an amazing amount of utility in a tight package. It looks quite fine, too.

-Dave

Thanks Hugh, an Eel could do nicely .

Grateful Dead

Just how "trailerable" Peter? By that I mean that the average vehicle, on an ordinary boatramp is limited in both what it can haul up the ramp, and in how deep draft the boat is. Then the next question is how "offshore"? The boats best suited to that wont be easy to pull out of the water, my little sloop is a long keeled boat with wineglass section and its a pain to get on and off the trailer, but is safe out there on the big briny.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.