Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 132223

Thread: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

Default Re: An offshore capable trailer boat ?

French modern: 900kg, unstayed rig rolls up, shallow with accomodation. 23 ft of waterline. 200kg waterballast with 200kg lead. EU regs: Cat C

R+

https://chantiermer.files.wordpress....lans.gif?w=584
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-22-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Interesting ! Thanks Ed.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It looks quick, not exactly beautiful but definitely functional.
    Grateful Dead

If your going that far I’d be adding a Ljungstrom rig

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I find the boat in 759 quite acceptable to look at, big cabins are a phobia of mine.

Re the rigging, I guess I've watched too many people faffing around rigging bermudians at the ramp.
    The one in 759 does look much better and I also like the hull shape.

Rick

I find the boat in 759 quite acceptable to look at, big cabins are a phobia of mine.
    P
    Re the rigging, I guess I've watched too many people faffing around rigging bermudians at the ramp.
    759 is a Hunter 19, 756 is a Hunter Europa. Both have the same Squib hull and rig, but the Europa has a bigger cabin and a smaller, self draining, cockpit. The 19's cockpit is watertight but the sole is below water level. FWIW I actually prefer the look of the Europa, but both are nice. Both have the Squib hull, keel, rudder and rig.

The boat in the Shetland to Norway video in post no. 745 is a Europa. More of her here. The singlehanded helmsman doesn't seem to have much trouble going forward over the cabin, and in small boats like this one the side decks are necessarily so narrow that they are more of a trap and a deception:

and again, in worse weather, here:

https://youtu.be/0HDabs8SAc4

but the OSTAR boat, Willing Griffin, whose skipper, the late David Blagden, shrank the cockpit as you envisage, was a 19

Meet our Squib:

gifs upload

Having just done it, stepping the mast is not too hard. The official Squib Class trick is to use a dead dinghy mast.

Here is a link to the UK Squib Association site explanation of how to deal with raising and lowering the mast, using a seventeen foot length of dead dinghy mast:

http://www.squibs.co.uk/index.php/ab...ising-the-mast

This can be done singlehanded. The instructions are for the Squib but they will work for the 19 and the Europa.

And here is a list of all the boats built by the UK Hunter Boats company; they were second only to Westerly in popularity but much more racing orientated. Few of them are dogs.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 06-22-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

damn, that French "r+" is cool. I definitely don't like that style of cabin top. but that's a very neat boat

does anyone have a a link to more information on them? my google-fu is not delivering...

Lack of side decks is a real problem, in my opinion. I found this when sailing a Triton 24. When heeled significantly, it doesn't make much difference but it becomes a real nuisance for the regular need to go forward when dropping the headsail, mooring, anchoring, berthing etc. I also generally believe there's beauty in function but big, fat cabins just look awful to me.

Rick

The boat in 771 is certainly interesting. Water ballast makes a lot of sense for a trailerable boat. I wonder why the designer drew a windsurfer rig for the mizzen? I don't like the look of it, personally. I also wonder about the wide transom on this boat. I can imagine it rounding up uncontrollably when the gusts hit. Maybe that's another example of Folkboat bias? The unstayed rig makes sense for a trailer sailor.

Rick

It looks quick, not exactly beautiful but definitely functional.
    This and the Hunter seem the best suggestions thus far. The French boat with it's lifting keel would be far easier to trailer and launch.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The boat in 771 is certainly interesting. Water ballast makes a lot of sense for a trailerable boat. I wonder why the designer drew a windsurfer rig for the mizzen? I don't like the look of it, personally. I also wonder about the wide transom on this boat. I can imagine it rounding up uncontrollably when the gusts hit. Maybe that's another example of Folkboat bias? The unstayed rig makes sense for a trailer sailor.

Rick
    Yes, the unstayed rig is attractive for these particular criteria.
    Grateful Dead

It looks like you'd be able to roller furl the main from the cockpit too

I wonder how you put the tall main mast up.

If the French boat has some attractions then why not a Core Sound, surely this has been bought up already in the prievious 22 pages....

Certainly
    a well known performer. Not quite the antique looks of a ye olde cruising yawl or even a Golant Gaffer though......

Aesthetically the Golant Gaffer wins hands down, frankly it's a difficult choice and one I'm not going to make right now. The French boat is a wonderful technical solution but aesthetically "unsatisfying".
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I wonder why the designer drew a windsurfer rig for the mizzen?
    Rick
    Because it is simple, proven, cheap, practical, and -in connection with the luff pocket- performs superbly. I do it since 2002, originally started it experimentally to beef up a Drascombe Longboat. The aerodynamic effect is stunning. Many designers have taken it on board.

Aesthetically the Golant Gaffer wins hands down, frankly it's a difficult choice and one I'm not going to make right now. The French boat is a wonderful technical solution but aesthetically "unsatisfying".
    100% agree with that
    I like the Norfolk Gypsy also but mainly for the security of the sunken foredeck

Watercraft I think possibly Classic boat did a long series on building the Golant Gaffer, lots of little tweaks to improve the ergonomics from what I remember

Some here will remember

Need to go and by a lottery ticket, rob a bank or just get back to work

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

A handsome wee boat and were it available here, a good solution. Building strip plank copy would be fun.
    Grateful Dead

A handsome wee boat and were it available here, a good solution. Building strip plank copy would be fun.
    Wasn’t proposing it Golant Gaffer is more of a sea boat, might have so nice features to look at was only thought. I like the cabin top

As do I. Yes the Golant Gaffer has some impressive voyages under it's belt.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    You could be describing an early Mini transat 21, before the beam started going crazy. I would say that nearly all the small boats that have a record of going offshore, Corribees, Kingfishers, Hurleys etc, have all had high ballast to weight ratios. Sven is still averaging less than 2kts in ideal conditions, one can only hope he has a quick crossing of the doldrums, but his progress down the South Atlantic will surely decide if he has to stop before NZ, i do not imagine him sculling the length of Brazil, despite what he calls a "low energy" boat. He night get lift from his foil that he replaced the leeboard with, but he wont get much lift from that rig. I know he really does not mind being at sea for long periods, but he does have a limited supply of grub.....perhaps he intends to surf all across the Southern Ocean once he is down in the roaring 40s?
    Talking of 21 ft boats before beam dimensions went crazy.........Sven's 21 ft Bris fits the bill, and which did have a ballast fin.
    Only within the last few days have I come to understand why he started the 'ten' and why he destroyed it. I admit to thinking that the 10 ft challenge was nuts, although, a 10 footer might be a good thing in the way of a test bed for a 21 footer( much like you have done with the 13 footer), if the hull and keel were to be taken apart for building and transporting purposes.
    Agreed, that the rig of Exlex makes the voyage a dubious challenge.
    Something like a battened lug with Chinese/Junk sheeting/reefing, would IMO make a replenishment stop in Brazil possible, if not all in good order, let alone a way of making for better use of favourable winds as well as the contrary ones.
    Last edited by Lugalong; 06-23-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by telenorth View Post
    damn, that French "r+" is cool. I definitely don't like that style of cabin top. but that's a very neat boat

does anyone have a a link to more information on them? my google-fu is not delivering...
    Gilles Montaubin is the NA. He does a full range from sailing canoes upto big mono's and multihulls. As Ian said, the French, in general, are much happier to embrace lightness, speed and modernity in boat design. The masts are carbon. The Lili 6.1 was a hit with the overnighting sail/ sail and oar crowd.

His website

https://chantiermer.wordpress.com/

What is the board arrangement here, lifting or swinging ?

I have some problems with dagger boards for a boat that may find the bottom unintentionally on occasion, it's certainly neat but collecting a sand bank at any speed would be disastrous and a long swim home..
    Grateful Dead