Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Somebody talk me out of it

Default Re: Somebody talk me out of it

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Don't worry Tom, the all or nothing is what I do, always have. I still have the paddle board and looking for another, I'll pick up kitesurfing again as well, now the weather is warming up, i have a few non water hobbies as well. Just the wooden boat as a cruising/liveaboard lifestyle is being dumped, I'll have to settle for a pile of bricks for a home instead (something I find no joy at all in, hate being static and loathe gardening).

Get a cheap ticket and make reservations with Frank. It only 55 euros and you get to use a sailing punt for free for weekend. It should send you into another direction. Enjoy spring. Bring a date so you have something to do when lights go out.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    For the lovers of small boats with sails, poles, paddles, skulls & oars

Who will join us on a nice spring sailing weekend on de boards of Lake Belterwiede.
    In a fantastic sailing area with lakes and canals we will make several trips in our own boats
    or in the traditional “zeilpunters” the narrow oak vessels of this region.
    Attachment 11643

Like in 2016 we were able to reserve the cosy tree shattered campsite from the ‘Vereniging de zeilpunter”.
    The site lies directly on the lakeside. Hop in the boat or dip in the lake 20 steps away from your bed or from the breakfast table.
    Spacious Tipi tents are available. Cooking the shared meals will happen in the kitchen of the Camp house on the site.
    This also provides a warm and dry shelter. Very special of this location are the included sprit sailed “punters”
    a good opportunity to save yourself the trouble of bringing your boat.
    Just try these small oak working vessels original from this area. Several pictures can be found on their website: http://www.dezeilpunter.nl

To join our event, please fill in the participation form and send it back to by Email to kingmaboltjes.bos@wxs.nl .
    The participation fee for this weekend amounts to € 55,-. You can read about the method of payment on the application form. More info call;
    Sybren Kingma Boltjes (tel. +31 620 302 385), Frank van Zoest (+31 644 424 702),
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Artif, I am a bit down-crested that you are completely throwing in the towel and wanting rid of a lifetime collection of fine books on boats and sailing.. Kinda hoping after a few weeks you'll have a change of heart. But if you really are going to dump your acoutrouments at a charity shop, I will humbly take them off your hands, enjoy them, use them and cherish them. And if you do ever have a change of heart over them, they're yours, no question.

Im away until September, so cannot sort out anything til then.

Come me see me in the Autumn, this time the whisky's on me!

Chin up.

Oh well, better to decide that now, rather than a few years after you've aquired her. Have you thought about acquiring and living aboard say a 45 foot boat of that other very popular material?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    ... Have you thought about acquiring and living aboard say a 45 foot boat of that other very popular material?
    Surely you don't mean to see Artif with a needle gun in one hand, a paintbrush in the other and a necklace of paint cans, forever chasing rust in the depths of a steel trawler.

Artif, let that boat go, but don't give up everything. Just go small and simple. I don't know your circumstances, but even If the only thing you can afford, manage, or are allowed to do is paddle around in a dinghy with your camping gear, that is still a hell of a lot better than being completely stuck on land for ever. Among the various boats I've owned, the smallest is my little 14' paradox. She has thousands of miles under her keel and has given me some very pleasurable cruising, so far for up to a month at a time. Of all boats, so far the greatest fun has been in the smallest boats. Small boats rock!

Books are gone, got my eye on a new SUP and some new Kites
    Play nice
    Cheers

Artif, perhaps my story will make you feel a bit better: I started in 1984 on a 50 ft ferro boat. Gaff schooner, dream boat. Never got her finished, had built spars, sails, engine ready to put in, lived on her with family and 2 kids, but felt it increasingly hard to complete her. Sold her in 2000 and only because I had rights to the place where I had her tied up I did not end up with a big debt. Practically gave the boat away. A year later I bought an old steel 30 footer and took her 2 years later to the Med with my family. Wintered in Port Bell, Barcelona, sailed in spring to Balearics, encounters with many dolfins, sperm whales, great. Now we live in a comfortable house with my lugger on the driveway on a trailer. Frankly I rather drive in 2 days to Brittanny then 2 weeks battling headwinds in the Channel. What also helped was the sight of a dream schooner just outside Barcelona that was so thrown about by the swell that the sails never could fill and draw. I hope you will enjoy your kites and sup. Frank
    Www.oarandsail.nl

Artif,
    Boating is the experience of being on the water. Spending all your time, energy and money fixing a big old hulk isn't really all that rewarding. Buy a usable boat that requires the least maintenance possible and enjoy the best part of boat ownership. I see lots of seaworthy craft for sale at reasonable prices on your side of the pond. Much less money then that hulk will cost and you will be boating not working.

Run!!!!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

It is a fundamental law of boating that the amount of pleasure you get from a boat is in inverse proportion to its size & cost. Buy a small open boat that rows well & has a sail for going downwind. Then go & have fun.

Did you find a home for your caulking irons/hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    It is a fundamental law of boating that the amount of pleasure you get from a boat is in inverse proportion to its size & cost. Buy a small open boat that rows well & has a sail for going downwind. Then go & have fun.
    As the owner of a 14' paradox, and previously having owned bigger boats, I can attest to the truth of said law. Of course I just won't mention here about the bigger boat I am building since there is no rational explanation for that... must have got started during some temporary insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    I understand the thinking, and sometimes look fondly back on the small boats I've owned. But for me, I prefer my big boat right now.

Probably a good idea to tell the Mrs before you actually take the plunge. I've tried doing it the other way around. Thinks took a while to get back on an even keel.
    A friend of mine bought a large boat without consulting with his wife, a few weeks later he told her, of course she hit the roof, "How big is it?" she asked, "Thirty eight" he replied. Of course what he didnt tell her at that time, 38 was not measured in feet but in Meters. She was horrified when she saw the huge dutch barge he had bought. Of course she was happier when he sold it for a large profit a year down the line!

And a little sad at the same time I imagine, having grown quite fond of the old barge.

It might help to get a copy of The dinghy cruising companion by Roger Barnes, and then visit the great small boat festivals.

This one needs a bit of work. Love the lines though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no, iron sickness. The nail holes are probably 1/2" in diameter now and the nails a wire for a shank.

I imagine the nail holes started out about a half inch in diameter. She's a big boat.

That one does have good lines. She's still fair, I bet the spikes have plenty of life left. A big fastener like that can make a serious mess before losing enough material to be meaningful.

I bet she could be had for a song.

She isn't he'd togehter with 1/2" fasteners for planking. No matter there gone now.

Phil, pull some plugs and see what is what.

No thanks, I have no interest whatsoever in owning such a boat. Well it would nice but I know I don't have what it would take to make her nice and keep her nice.

The cost of making that boat look nice and be seaworthy would be astronomical.

Herreshoff liked to design boats that were practical. I suppose that is why the H28 is and was such a popular design. It is practical for week-end
    cruises and races. Not too big for a man and wife or friend to take care of, it is comfortable for a couple or a couple with a couple of kids!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-19-2018 at 01:00 PM.

I wouldn't be that man!

Don't be subtle Phil! Tell it like it is!
    Jay

Maybe Phil was referring to the man sticking his head under the boat trusting that the slings will not slip...

He was saying he doesn't want to be that man that fixes the big boat. I don't believe it was directed at your post jay.

Artif, I'm late to this thread but a few thoughts for what they are worth. I spent the better part of two decades dreaming about living aboard and always with the idea that the thing that stopped me was lack of money or not finding the right boat or some other logistical problem. But in reality the reason was that it was my dream but not my wife's dream. She likes boats and cruising but she wants to live in a house. With space to store a normal collection of clothing, a decent sized kitchen, room to entertain a large group of friends, a place to spread out and work on projects - the things you have to compromise on to move aboard. I knew that she felt that way but I thought that if I could just find the right boat she would fall in love with living aboard just as I had. It took me a long time to realize that the things she valued were no less important to her than my dreams of waking up on the water were to me. And that if I wanted to be on the water I would have to find some way to do it that didn't require my partner in life to sacrifice so much of her own wants and dreams.

Without delving inappropriately into your personal situation, I'll note that you have talked about a similar clash in some of your posts and with several boats now (A Danish trawler, then Incentive III and now this boat, if I recall). And believe me, I understand the urge to just walk away completely when you realize that you cannot have the thing you want most. I spent years away from the water and from the world of wooden boats because it was too hard to be that close to it and not be part of it. But the truth is that I was not happy living that way. And every time I would go near the water - a ride on a ferry, a trip to the beach or a short cruise around the lake on a friend's boat - I would be forced to realize that one can walk away from a dream but the dream does not ever really go away.

Everyone has to make their own journey and I won't advise you to do one thing or another, but I will say that I know the feeling that it's not worth having a boat if you can't live aboard (something you have said in the past). But I also know that it is possible to change, to compromise with your dream in ways that are still satisfying. To find a boat that will let you have a life on the water some of the time. I don't know what that boat is for you. I'm not entirely sure that Petrel is that boat for me even. But this forum is filled with every type of boat, a vast range of what it means to have a life on the water. And with a little imagination I could easily find myself enjoying a sail-and-oar expedition in British Columbia, a narrowboat holiday in Cornwall or any number of things in between. You have frequently mentioned an affection for Wharram Cats for example. Lots of fun to be had on something like that.

In any case, I hope you find the right boat one way or another. I don't think this dream is just going to go away for you just because you donated your library and your tools.

Cheers,

- Chris

Well put cstevens.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Maybe Phil was referring to the man sticking his head under the boat trusting that the slings will not slip...
    I had not thought about that possibility. Please excuse my knee jerk reaction! We all have days that we are, a bit, opinionated more than others!
    Jay

Small boats rock and geftb have it exactly right! That looked like a really dangerous place to be. Just search you tube for boat lift fails and you'll understand. I'm sure you understand anyway. No offence intended and none taken. Carry on

Small boats rock and geftb have it exactly right! That looked like a really dangerous place to be. Just search you tube for boat lift fails and you'll understand. I'm sure you understand anyway. No offence intended and none taken. Carry on
    Basic safety, don't be under heavy loads.