Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Somebody talk me out of it

Default Re: Somebody talk me out of it

Big wooden boats scare me now, I've seen how they consume people/time/money, of course I'm seeing this from the perspective of my age, over 60. The most irreplaceable asset is time, use it wisely. Most large projects are underfunded and without a stage achieved/timeline. Pay for a detailed quote, with hours per task (it won't be exact but for example: fit xyz engine (make mounts, fit 4 x flex mounts [bloggs] and 1 x flex coupling [acme] and alignment, excluding plumbing/wiring/ crane hire/supply of mounts, coupling & hardware = 80 hrs labour @ 80 UK pounds per hour) from a boatyard. Then theres fitting of tanks, repairing deck, replacing cabin, supply fit propeller & shaft, etc, etc, etc, etc. This will give you an idea of the time required to rebuild this boat in a place with all the facilities and equipment. Multiply this time x 2 for yourself. There is only so much horse power in one pair of hands, you need to be able to hire someone from time to time, relying on friends is not good, if there's a mistake... and then you need to spend time repaying the favour. These large jobs need to be assessed without emotion, its hard but there is too much at stake in terms of years/money/emotional energy/relationships not to take this seriously. If your wife/others see you take this seriously, then they will be more willing to support you. There must be other vessels that are more complete/useable if you adopt a plan to find something in the next 2 or 3 years, accumulating money, maybe selling other assets. You will do some travelling and you might even enjoy the looking. Don't buy something just because it is there.
    the invisible man........

Dear artif, I will apologize beforehand and I assure you I am not trying to be offensive, just realistic. I would love you to buy the boat and have a great time with her, and I sure would enjoy the thread. But getting into debt and stressing relationships should not be part of the package. Maxwaterline is right, there is only so much horsepower in a pair of hands (will have to remember that myself). Now to the boat:

She is worth exactly what selling anything that is easy removable from her (meaning hand carrying) would bring on ebay in a no reserve auction. That's including spares. The rest is a debt generating black hole, regardless of how good the hull is. Just sitting there at the dock she generates a monthly debt the owner has to pay. Breaking her up and selling her as firewood and scrap would only be cost effective for the yard owner. So one should not pay over say 5000 even if the easter bunny begs one on his knees with water in his eyes. In fact I am of the opinion one should not buy her without having around 100 000 sitting there in ones pockets, ready to ambush the poor old unsuspecting lady the moment one signs the papers. Why? Because she needs to become seaworthy now, not in 10 years. The 10 years plan is for the guy having her on the farm he owns, or the guy that's able to pay her dock fees out of beer money. And this brings us to the next thing, atitude. The "what if" and "if only" kind of thinking is counterproductive. One needs a project manager thinking of "how do I make it on time and in budget as she sits". If there were easy options the boat would not be for sale. So I think a reasonable approach would be to look the yard manager in the eyes and take a written comitement to have her topsides in paint and varnish by june and repowered by september. That would likley change the yards atitude towards the boat, and maybe even the rates staying where they are now. The repower needs to be taken on like a commercial job, not like "I do it for fun". The heavy lifting is in planing and organizing not in the actual tool handling. I'm convinced that you actually know that better than I do, but it's easy to rationalize away a lot. Plan a quick minimal working system, cost it out under current circumstances and see if you can aford it. I don't think a commercial tow to somewhere far would be significantly cheaper. Call me chicken if you want, but I would only tow that thing any real distance with a propper tug and insured.
    Your short term goal beeing to get out of the house means a functioning boat first. Then you are flexible in finding cheap docking/mooring in a place suitable to your needs. The boat is big enough to allow interior remodeling and living at the same time, and improvements will probably be your life anyway.
    In the end I think the problem boils down to this: Can you repower her in the current location for the money you have right now? If yes than ok, do it, but it needs to be a honest yes. The calculation needs to include the money you spend on food and drink for helping friends, the gas you use in driving around searching for parts, tools you need to buy, right down to the price of the last nut and bolt, and of course the docking fees while you are doing all this and the hauling fees and everything I didn't think of. This of course asuming that the hull and deck really come out of a survey looking as good as you belive they are.

Give the owner of Yukon a call. He's a lovely guy. He will either talk you out of it or help you with the practicalities of doing it. Either way it will be great advice from someone who's done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The creeks around Falmouth in Cornwall are ful with project boats and I loved my walkies there. Only a few are brought to sailing condition. Find a much smaller project to fall in love with.
    Last edited by FF; 03-25-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Phooey ^. I say proceed with caution, but if the wife is onboard, and the hull is genuinely sound, go for it.

When we met Artif, you mentioned the boat you owned previously... What was she? A Brixham trawler? Got any pics?

Danish 62' Loa 18' Beam 10' draft Around 90 ton
    boat may 2007 008.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Phooey ^. I say proceed with caution, but if the wife is onboard, and the hull is genuinely sound, go for it.

When we met Artif, you mentioned the boat you owned previously... What was she? A Brixham trawler? Got any pics?

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate your comments. I have put a very quick estimate (time and money) together to get her first, suitable to live on (its almost there already), then mobile, followed by the nice to haves. it adds up fairly quickly but not beyond reach in a reasonable time frame.
    I'm certainly not buying it just because its there, I have a very strong liking for Danish Kotters in particular. There plenty of similar boats that are lot more together and "ready to go" for sale at the moment (there's a great coded charter dive boat for 30k and Danish trawler with a recent new engine going for 10K), but they don't quite hit the spot like the Kotters do.
    I like the "horsepower per hands" comment, very true.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    Big wooden boats scare me now, I've seen how they consume people/time/money, of course I'm seeing this from the perspective of my age, over 60. The most irreplaceable asset is time, use it wisely. Most large projects are underfunded and without a stage achieved/timeline. Pay for a detailed quote, with hours per task (it won't be exact but for example: fit xyz engine (make mounts, fit 4 x flex mounts [bloggs] and 1 x flex coupling [acme] and alignment, excluding plumbing/wiring/ crane hire/supply of mounts, coupling & hardware = 80 hrs labour @ 80 UK pounds per hour) from a boatyard. Then theres fitting of tanks, repairing deck, replacing cabin, supply fit propeller & shaft, etc, etc, etc, etc. This will give you an idea of the time required to rebuild this boat in a place with all the facilities and equipment. Multiply this time x 2 for yourself. There is only so much horse power in one pair of hands, you need to be able to hire someone from time to time, relying on friends is not good, if there's a mistake... and then you need to spend time repaying the favour. These large jobs need to be assessed without emotion, its hard but there is too much at stake in terms of years/money/emotional energy/relationships not to take this seriously. If your wife/others see you take this seriously, then they will be more willing to support you. There must be other vessels that are more complete/useable if you adopt a plan to find something in the next 2 or 3 years, accumulating money, maybe selling other assets. You will do some travelling and you might even enjoy the looking. Don't buy something just because it is there.

Rumars, no need to apologize and no offense taken at all, your comments are greatly valued. As per the title of the thread says "talk me out of it"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    Dear artif, I will apologize beforehand and I assure you I am not trying to be offensive, just realistic. I would love you to buy the boat and have a great time with her, and I sure would enjoy the thread. But getting into debt and stressing relationships should not be part of the package. Maxwaterline is right, there is only so much horsepower in a pair of hands (will have to remember that myself). Now to the boat:

She is worth exactly what selling anything that is easy removable from her (meaning hand carrying) would bring on ebay in a no reserve auction. That's including spares. The rest is a debt generating black hole, regardless of how good the hull is. Just sitting there at the dock she generates a monthly debt the owner has to pay. Breaking her up and selling her as firewood and scrap would only be cost effective for the yard owner. So one should not pay over say 5000 even if the easter bunny begs one on his knees with water in his eyes. I think you may be right
    In fact I am of the opinion one should not buy her without having around 100 000 sitting there in ones pockets, ready to ambush the poor old unsuspecting lady the moment one signs the papers.Not sure 100k is quite necessary, but yes a pot of money will be required initially
    Why? Because she needs to become seaworthy now, not in 10 years Agree she needs to be seaworthy and mobile asap, and is achievable in a reasonable time frame
    The 10 years plan is for the guy having her on the farm he owns, or the guy that's able to pay her dock fees out of beer money. And this brings us to the next thing, atitude.

The "what if" and "if only" kind of thinking is counterproductive. One needs a project manager thinking of "how do I make it on time and in budget as she sits". If there were easy options the boat would not be for sale. So I think a reasonable approach would be to look the yard manager in the eyes and take a written comitement to have her topsides in paint and varnish by june and repowered by september. That would likley change the yards atitude towards the boat, and maybe even the rates staying where they are now.For the boat to stay where she is, that is exactly what the yard owners want, even so they will still be increasing the yard fees and the slipway is fully booked until May
    The repower needs to be taken on like a commercial job, not like "I do it for fun". The heavy lifting is in planing and organizing not in the actual tool handling. I'm convinced that you actually know that better than I do, but it's easy to rationalize away a lot. Plan a quick minimal working system, cost it out under current circumstances and see if you can aford it. I have and it is just about doable
    I don't think a commercial tow to somewhere far would be significantly cheaper. Call me chicken if you want, but I would only tow that thing any real distance with a propper tug and insured. Realistically she will need towing out of Bristol to do anything, as the local resources are limited and very expensive. Towing her around to the south coast is not an option, even if they did manage to tow Irene across the Atlantic after being burnt to the waterline (now there's a story you should look up)
    Your short term goal beeing to get out of the house means a functioning boat first. Then you are flexible in finding cheap docking/mooring in a place suitable to your needs. The boat is big enough to allow interior remodeling and living at the same time, and improvements will probably be your life anyway.
    In the end I think the problem boils down to this: Can you repower her in the current location for the money you have right now? Basically its a no where she is now, hence my dilemma
    If yes than ok, do it, but it needs to be a honest yes. The calculation needs to include the money you spend on food and drink for helping friends, the gas you use in driving around searching for parts, tools you need to buy, right down to the price of the last nut and bolt, and of course the docking fees while you are doing all this and the hauling fees and everything I didn't think of. This of course asuming that the hull and deck really come out of a survey looking as good as you belive they are.

So to sum it up.
    I love the boat.
    She is in good shape.
    She is too expensive.
    She needs a lot of work and quite a bit of money. Work is work (its a wood boat, of course its work), money I can earn as I go along (done it before)
    She needs moving to a place to be able to work on her. This is where crux of the problem lies. Bristol, despite its rich and long maritime history is lacking in decent boat facilities, seems the people of Bristol like to look at the boats but don't want the noise and dirt that goes with them.

In conclusion, if (very big if) I can find a suitable place to put her nearby it may be viable with a suitable price adjustment.

Many thanks to all the respondents for your help and comments. While my conclusion hasn't really changed, the comments posted have helped a great deal in rationalizing my thoughts and facing up to reality (not something I'm known for).

Awesome! Please keel us "posted" as it were on what you find facility-wise and your ultimate decision. I'd love to see a blog in the future about "The Restoration of a Danish Kotter" OR a note on the frustrations in finding the lack of haul-out facilties. Maybe if the problem becomes visible, a solution will present itself.

Did it arrive engineless in its current location, or has it been there a while and stripped on site? The limitations on where this size of boat can be worked on gets more problematic over time. Hard to believe with Bristols history, you cant find a place suitable to do the work. Wasnt Tommy Nielsens yard somewhere round there? I recall some Baltic traders being rebuilt in that yard, be it many years ago.

Yes she was moved there without an engine from somewhere local, but no longer available.
    Tommy's yard is in Gloucester, not too far away but tricky to get to, up the Severn estuary and then up the Gloucester canal, and probably a bit out of my price bracket being a dry dock facility.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Did it arrive engineless in its current location, or has it been there a while and stripped on site? The limitations on where this size of boat can be worked on gets more problematic over time. Hard to believe with Bristols history, you cant find a place suitable to do the work. Wasnt Tommy Nielsens yard somewhere round there? I recall some Baltic traders being rebuilt in that yard, be it many years ago.

This place will be the first to find out if I succeed, the Mrs will find out shortly after.
    Invites for assistance will follow
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Awesome! Please keel us "posted" as it were on what you find facility-wise and your ultimate decision. I'd love to see a blog in the future about "The Restoration of a Danish Kotter" OR a note on the frustrations in finding the lack of haul-out facilties. Maybe if the problem becomes visible, a solution will present itself.

Probably a good idea to tell the Mrs before you actually take the plunge. I've tried doing it the other way around. Thinks took a while to get back on an even keel.

I think that when doing a project like this one should have at least 20% more cash available than the projected cost. If you can't do that you should not buy this boat, even if you find a cheaper yard. Having the funds streched to the limit is to big a liability with this size of boat. Besides boats having the bad habit of offering surprises when work is done, if the budget is to tight just simple mishaps like a broken down car needing repair can drive the budget over the edge. Maintaining an adequate reserve fund is critical for success.

Since you seem so intent on having this boat I will say this: what the boat needs most is freedom, meaning a motor. There must be a yard capable of hauling her within reaching distance, even if they don't know nothing about wood. Someone must service the local smaller comercial fleet at reasonable rates. Spring is of course a bad time for you since everybody is busy. But if you like to take a gamble and are prepared to maybe loose some money, here is the plan: buy now what's needed to repower her and gamble that anyone crazy enough to want to buy her has the same problems as you. The owner will only get more desperate (he has to pay dockage) and the yard more impatient to get rid of her. In a month or two the boats price will drop, you will have all the gear stashed away ready to be installed, and if a yard slot opens up at a reasonable rate you are ready to take advantage. Having everything ready allows a quick job on the hard, then she's free to go and anchor anywhere it suits your wallet. That's the happy end scenario of course. If someone buys her in the meantime, you are sitting on a motor, sterngear and associated pile of parts wich you have to sell. Even if you sell for the same amount you bought (wich may or may not happen) you will still loose the money spent on delivery and storage. The risk is there, you stand to loose a few hundred to a few thousand pounds and have a sizeable amount of liquidity tied up in a rusting pile of parts nobody may want. So I guess it's up to you on how much risk you can stand, I am certainly not recomending it.

On the other hand even if this boat does not work out this may become your new strategy. Having a complete drive unit from tank to propeller stashed away ready to go allows you to look for a suitable hull in need. You just have to find free or really cheap storage space. Source the individual pieces cheap, recondition and store away. That should take care of your boredoom and keep you ocupied for some time. Good deals are bound to cross your path given enough time and interest.

Yes, and engine plus systems, basic nav and you can move her anywhere. That won't take very long, perhaps a couple of months? Surely the yard where she is now can hold on while this happens? They'd be glad of her gone I'm sure.

Thanks once again
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    I think that when doing a project like this one should have at least 20% more cash available than the projected cost. If you can't do that you should not buy this boat, even if you find a cheaper yard. Having the funds streched to the limit is to big a liability with this size of boat. Besides boats having the bad habit of offering surprises when work is done, if the budget is to tight just simple mishaps like a broken down car needing repair can drive the budget over the edge. Maintaining an adequate reserve fund is critical for success.

Since you seem so intent on having this boat I will say this
    I can see the potential but I have reservations, writing about it on here has given me a clearer picture (thinking out loud )

: what the boat needs most is freedom, meaning a motor. There must be a yard capable of hauling her within reaching distance, even if they don't know nothing about wood. Someone must service the local smaller comercial fleet at reasonable rates. Spring is of course a bad time for you since everybody is busy. But if you like to take a gamble and are prepared to maybe loose some money, here is the plan: buy now what's needed to repower her and gamble that anyone crazy enough to want to buy her has the same problems as you. The owner will only get more desperate (he has to pay dockage) and the yard more impatient to get rid of her. In a month or two the boats price will drop, you will have all the gear stashed away ready to be installed, and if a yard slot opens up at a reasonable rate you are ready to take advantage. Having everything ready allows a quick job on the hard, then she's free to go and anchor anywhere it suits your wallet. That's the happy end scenario of course. If someone buys her in the meantime, you are sitting on a motor, sterngear and associated pile of parts wich you have to sell. Even if you sell for the same amount you bought (wich may or may not happen) you will still loose the money spent on delivery and storage. The risk is there, you stand to loose a few hundred to a few thousand pounds and have a sizeable amount of liquidity tied up in a rusting pile of parts nobody may want. So I guess it's up to you on how much risk you can stand, I am certainly not recomending it.
    I like this idea, it makes a lot of sense, thanks

On the other hand even if this boat does not work out this may become your new strategy. Having a complete drive unit from tank to propeller stashed away ready to go allows you to look for a suitable hull in need. You just have to find free or really cheap storage space. Source the individual pieces cheap, recondition and store away. That should take care of your boredoom and keep you ocupied for some time. Good deals are bound to cross your path given enough time and interest.

What, you haven't bought it yet?

The yard seem very keen to be rid of her, if the new owners want to her to remain there (short term), they must have detailed plan of works (to be expected) and the yard want a much higher fees than the current arrangement. The other problem with the yard is the restrictions on noisy work, in the evenings and weekends, you are not allowed to make any noise.
    Yes, and engine plus systems, basic nav and you can move her anywhere. That won't take very long, perhaps a couple of months? Surely the yard where she is now can hold on while this happens? They'd be glad of her gone I'm sure.

^ LOL.....lots of people here like spending other peoples money. I have a contact who deals with Gardner related engines if you are interested.

Artif please think long and hard, there is no rush here. What I have proposed is morally objectionable, has less than 30% chances of success, and if it does not play out you loose money for sure. And there will be nothing to show for that lost money, it will be like flushing it down the toilet without even using it to wipe your a.. with.
    So again, it's a long shot I do not advice taking. And even if you try it out make sure your family is on board with it, this is the stuff divorces are made out of.
    Over all I think it's better to let this one pass, and wait for a better oportunity.

It would be fun to have a Gardner in the shed. No bugger that, in the lounge, even if the boat doesn't work out.

Anyway, there's probably not may other prospective buyers around, and the sellers next best option is a chain saw and an excavator. So maybe tell him you can't pay for the boat, but if he will help with the work on her for free, you'll take her on, and take him out for a sail occasionally. My dad did something a bit like that 40 odd years ago. He was looking at a boat that was for sale, decided it was too small and in the end the seller spent the next 2 years working evenings and weekends with dad to build a slightly stretched version of the same boat. They remained good friends for many years. Crazy **** happens. He also built South Australia's One and All, a timber sail training vessel, 120 odd feet long? Started with no money, kept going with no money, ended up with no money. Crazy, but it can be done. Don't be talked out of it by good sensible advice if it's what you want to do.

Artif, I am in no way qualified to comment on this particular boat, but it am as qualified as any to say that if a door opens for you which you really really want to step through, but you don't because of any number of reasons (some listed above), that particular door isn't going to wait around for you for some other day. How will you feel in years to come if you never did that thing you so wanted to do? Life is pretty short, grab it by the proverbials while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It would be fun to have a Gardner in the shed. No bugger that, in the lounge, even if the boat doesn't work out.
    Sure, get a good polish going and some shiney paint, put a glass plate on top and use it as a coffe table or tv stand. The 8 cylinder one will even make a nice dining table. Missus may object to dusting all those nooks and crannies so you may have to detail it yourself.

Oh well looks like I'm out of the running for her.
    Time for a change of focus (difficult trying move on from lifetime ambition, but I know when I'm beaten).
    Anyone want a collection boat books, about 50, for free, you pay the postage though (they're in the UK if that matters).
    Also will get rid of my caulking hammer and irons, probably other stuff but need to take a look first, all free to deserving owner.
    Probably get put on the naughty step for trying to give stuff away on here but, I've got to stop torturing myself looking at boats.
    Last edited by artif; 03-29-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Come play on mine...

Will do
    Do you want any tools or books, they'll be going to a charity shop soon
    Come play on mine...

Walk away. it is not like you think. In the end, a hole which you pour and lose more than money.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

I have, time to focus on something else, I've spent too long clutching to an idea that just doesn't seem to work out for me. Just want rid of the reminders littering the house. Plenty of other outlets to waste my energy on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Walk away. it is not like you think. In the end, a hole which you pour and lose more than money.

Thought these would have been snapped up. Looks like the charity shop is getting some new stock.

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    I have, time to focus on something else, I've spent too long clutching to an idea that just doesn't seem to work out for me. Just want rid of the reminders littering the house. Plenty of other outlets to waste my energy on.
    We all understand this. We all feel this push and pull. I am in the same throws now like it was a regular tidal call.

it took me a long time to come around to the fact that any venture worth while require a few things. One is of my own creative input into artesian/craftsman project which can make something strong and worthy. Almost as importantly is the boat is to be shared with friends consistent with effort applied, and lastly a mission of effort where ones work will take them. Know i you live in a wonderderous country surrounded by good water connecting you to places that lead to new adventures, new cultures, new freinds. A wise person will tell you to get stimulated to embrace the bigger you than the bigger boat.

This may sound strange to many here but far better to make a deserving vessel into great 28' boat that can take you to new places and meeting new friends. New places, mixing old friends with new ones you will meet will be in the end most satisfying.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-29-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Oh well looks like I'm out of the running for her.
    Time for a change of focus (difficult trying move on from lifetime ambition, but I know when I'm beaten).
    Anyone want a collection boat books, about 50, for free, you pay the postage though (they're in the UK if that matters).
    Also will get rid of my caulking hammer and irons, probably other stuff but need to take a look first, all free to deserving owner.
    Probably get put on the naughty step for trying to give stuff away on here but, I've got to stop torturing myself looking at boats.
    Not sure why the all or nothing approach ArtIf.
    There are just so many options.
    Buy a kayak.
    Invest in a bigger boat with partners.
    Crew at a local sailing club.
    Build a $100 skin-on-frame proa and paddle around on a lake.
    The list is endless.
    Don't give up.
    However, look at what your buy-line for this thread is...

Don't worry Tom, the all or nothing is what I do, always have. I still have the paddle board and looking for another, I'll pick up kitesurfing again as well, now the weather is warming up, i have a few non water hobbies as well. Just the wooden boat as a cruising/liveaboard lifestyle is being dumped, I'll have to settle for a pile of bricks for a home instead (something I find no joy at all in, hate being static and loathe gardening).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Christie View Post
    Not sure why the all or nothing approach ArtIf.
    There are just so many options.
    Buy a kayak.
    Invest in a bigger boat with partners.
    Crew at a local sailing club.
    Build a $100 skin-on-frame proa and paddle around on a lake.
    The list is endless.
    Don't give up.
    However, look at what your buy-line for this thread is...