Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornet

Default Hornet

1953 Hudson Hornet.

Not a fan of fender skirts or closed wheel wells, but other than that the design satisfies my taste for quirk...

Jeff C

Default Re: Hornet

That car had a role in the children's movie Cars. He was the grumpy old race car that trained Lightning McQueen.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I have one of those. It's upside down in a swamp and rather flattened by logging equipment.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

There is a Hudson dealership in Ypsilanti, MI, which hasn't recognized that the company has gone out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    There is a Hudson dealership in Ypsilanti, MI, which hasn't recognized that the company has gone out of business.
    I imagine the yearly "New Model Introduction!" parties have gotten to be a bit dull by now...

Jeff C

They ruled NASCAR for a bit at that time. That old straight eight was a beast with lots of torque as well as their other engines.
    Tom L

I recall, at about age 8, riding in the back seat with about a dozen other kids.
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    I imagine the yearly "New Model Introduction!" parties have gotten to be a bit dull by now...

Jeff C
    It's the home of the Orphan Car Show, which features various oddball, failed, or ingenious cars. Cars featured include the Tucker, King Midget, Corvair, and Edsel. A friend usually entered his 1953 Chevy convertible, convinced it would be recognized as a classic someday. The Last Hudson Dealer is something of an urban legend. The owner did refuse to convert to an AMC franchise, eventually sold out his inventory and then did repairs and restored old cars. Today it is an auto museum, close to the home of the Corvair and Tucker's house. The Yankee Air Force museum is relatively close as well.

It's the home of the Orphan Car Show, which features various oddball, failed, or ingenious cars. Cars featured include the Tucker, King Midget, Corvair, and Edsel. A friend usually entered his 1953 Chevy convertible, convinced it would be recognized as a classic someday. The Last Hudson Dealer is something of an urban legend. The owner did refuse to convert to an AMC franchise, eventually sold out his inventory and then did repairs and restored old cars. Today it is an auto museum, close to the home of the Corvair and Tucker's house. The Yankee Air Force museum is relatively close as well.
    Wonder if I could bring my Saab?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    They ruled NASCAR for a bit at that time. That old straight eight was a beast with lots of torque as well as their other engines.
    Our family car for years was a 1932 Hudson straight eight. Huge thing, had fold down seats in the back of the front seats as well as the usuals. I towed an AJS 7R and a Manx all over the place with it. Once in top gear you could just leave it there until it was time to stop.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Wonder if I could bring my Saab?
    The 3-cyl would qualify. The show is for cars built by companies out of business, 25 years old or older. If you are interested: http://ypsiautoheritage.org/wp-conte...gistration.pdf

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

My father would tell the story about a lady that he knew that bought a new Hudson. She took it to the dealer complaining about a knocking sound coming from the back. They finally took the inside panel off and found someone in the factory had tied a string around the neck of a soda bottle and hung it inside the rear body where it would swing and hit. An high school acquaintance had a Hudson with a cigarette lighter on the dash that would fire the lighter over the front seat into the back when it got hot.

Looks like an awful lot of chrome on the front but other than that a good example of how a strong design doesn't waste lines, a forgotten strength in so much of the ADHD world of today's styling.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Our family car for years was a 1932 Hudson straight eight. Huge thing, had fold down seats in the back of the front seats as well as the usuals. I towed an AJS 7R and a Manx all over the place with it. Once in top gear you could just leave it there until it was time to stop.

John Welsford

WHOA.....

Your bikes?

Photos?

Stories?

C'mon.... get into it. Please.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

don't forget the world's most phallic building, the ypsi water tower. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

My first car was a '53 Hornet. In '66 it wasn't a Classic yet, just an old car that was impossible to get parts for.

Hornet, dH-styling...

what's the fuselage porthole for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Hornet, dH-styling...

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I remember getting into someone else's Hudson in the mid 1950's and being impressed by the floor being lower than the door sills. Dad's Chevy wasn't like that. Back then my "car authority was Tom McCahill in Popular Science Magazine. He had a big Black Lab that used to help him evaluate automobiles.

Default Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    don't forget the world's most phallic building, the ypsi water tower. . .

Oh my goodness. Not even close. The Seattle Municipal Tower beats the Ypsi water tower at that game by a country mile. It was built for ATT in the early 90s, but the City of Seattle bought it for the city's offices. 62 stories of a great big phallic EFF-U to the world. Click here to see it (I used the google URL shortener because the actual URL might offend some people's sensibilities. You've been warned.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 03-23-2018 at 09:19 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

It wasn't just me that wondered what the thread referred to then?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what's the fuselage porthole for?
    The cameras

PR2 or PR22 versions.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    It wasn't just me that wondered what the thread referred to then?

Nope, you're not the only one.

Jeff C

The 3-cyl would qualify. The show is for cars built by companies out of business, 25 years old or older. If you are interested: http://ypsiautoheritage.org/wp-conte...gistration.pdf
    My 87 SPG would qualify. It's 31 years old
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    They put the intake and exhaust manifolds on the same side? Well, it makes preheating the intake charge rather easy. And vapor lock.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Sounds like Pontiac Fieros would qualify! What about companies that went defunct because they were "acquired"? Technically, NSU was swallowed up by VW and then merged with Auto Union, which then became Audi (Auto Union being the source of Audi's trademark 4 rings).

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Oh my goodness. Not even close. The Seattle Municipal Tower beats the Ypsi water tower at that game by a country mile. It was built for ATT in the early 90s, but the City of Seattle bought it for the city's offices. 62 stories of a great big phallic EFF-U to the world. Click here to see it (I used the google URL shortener because the actual URL might offend some people's sensibilities. You've been warned.
    While I also find it ugly, the top of the old ATT building was shaped to look like a BELL. As in Ma Bell. The Bell System. How soon we forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    They put the intake and exhaust manifolds on the same side? Well, it makes preheating the intake charge rather easy. And vapor lock.
    The Hudson is a standard L head, with the combustion chamber directly over the valves.

IMG_3722.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the Hudson Hornet was a bit player in "On the Road". Dean Moriarty took the wheel for a chapter or two. Clever wheel man, that Moriarty.

Our rich neighbors bought a new Hudson and drove it to the New York Worlds Fair in 1939. We had a Hudson Teraplane and a 41 straight 8 Hudson 4 door. I bought a 47 Hudson convertible in S. California and drove it Pacific to Atlantic on leave with another Swabbie in 51. With the fluid clutch it would start in high gear and go up a pretty long and steep hill without changing gears. Bright yellow chick magnet with white walls and red wheels that actually did attract some times. The big X member for rigid strength under the Frame meant that it would not make it over any big thing in the road. Also made it really stable such as when I managed ot to do a 180 in the middle of the road by accident once. These Hudsons were great cars of the time. The straight 8 had 128 honest hp and was probably the highest hp of any American car then. Small bore with long stroke accounted for the high torque.
    Tom L

Jeff C