Thread: Gislinge Boat - open source boat building project by the Viking Ship Museum Roskilde

Default Gislinge Boat - open source boat building project by the Viking Ship Museum Roskilde

From their Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/vikingshipmuseum/

It's been a long wait and you've all been patient -the working drawings for Gislinge III are finally available for free download via the museum website (link in profile). Here's a shot of both Gisle or Gislinge II (in the foreground) and Langˇe (or Gislinge III) on the fjord last summer. Gisle and Langˇe are two different interpretations of the Gislinge Boat, a 7.7m long working boat dating from ca. 1130. It was discovered during excavation for drainage works in 1993 and reconstructed for the first time by the museum in 1995. Twenty years later, we decided to build a second version. This build gave us the chance to reassess the interpretation of the original boat, which hadn't survived in its entirety. During the winter of 2015/16, our ship reconstructor Vibeke Bischoff therefore undertook a re-examination of the original boat which resulted in a slightly revised hull form for Langˇe. And now you all have the chance to build your own version too!

https://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en...king-drawings/
    Last edited by flo-mo; 03-22-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Default Re: Gislinge Boat - open source boat building project by the Viking Ship Museum Roski

Well, that is pretty cool.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Gislinge Boat - open source boat building project by the Viking Ship Museum Roski

Happy for them that they used flax for the sails and not wool. Wool sails work well enough but are a bull to handle.
    I wonder what they used for impregnation. I would have expected tanning with oak bark, but the colour suggest something else.
    Linden bast is a wonderful rope material btw, too bad it takes so much work.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student, a rigger apprentice and Journeyman http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Awesome looking boat, I want one. Those carved stems are sure a work of art. Too bad that from everything I have read it seems to be almost impossible to single hand a square sail though.

This one fits right into the lineup with their replicas of the Skuldelev wrecks and the Gokstad faering, which they also built.

Am I just seeing things, or is the freeboard not a bit on the low side for an open boat with a crew of three? If so, may this have not been a fishing boat? Or have the ideas of safety just changed a bit in the intervening millennium?

Low freeboards seems to be kind of standard for many old Scandinavian crafts, espesially when used for fishing. Here's an example

This particular boat was built in 1907 i western Blekinge, Sweden, in waters while not extremely rough not known for their friendliness. The buyer of the boat lived further east, in somewhat easier waters, but boats of that size would be sailed quite far out from the somewhat sheltered archipelago.
    I believe the trick was that when the weather became too rough, they'd take down all sails and sail downwind on the mast and rigging to wherever the wind were taking them. Then row or sail back when the weather was fairer.
    Many drowned, but I think they knew a bit about sailing in hard weather.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student, a rigger apprentice and Journeyman http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/

Those things are sooo cool! And open sourcing the plans! Yes!

I think (hope!) the open sourcing is becoming more prevalent among experimental archaeological museums. We've seen similar data made available for pottery and other archaeological resources.

Mohsart, I'm intrigued by the workbench in your blog. I've never see one with those removable posts before. I can see lots of uses, but is there a specific application?
    IMG_0724.jpg

It's a rigging bench.
    The posts are removable, but the point is not that, it's that they turn.
    So you can fasten a piece of rope or wire to one post and tighten it up by using a stick (called "drejare" in Swedish), you turn the other post using the stick as a lever and secure it behind the opposing post.
    This model of rigging bench is typical for my home town and is covered briefly by a booklet on these benches written by Des Pawson.
    Here is the original, from late 19th century (they were for two persons so 6 posts). Also seen is an alternative tool for serving than the serving mallet, which is very useful for serving splices but was used locally for much other serving work on these kinds of benches.

/Mats

Thank you! I was baffled, but seen in context it makes great sense. And I had missed your description as a rigging bench in the blog.

Additional information from their Insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgqQhExg...kingshipmuseum

A lot of you asked about the differences between the two versions of the Gislinge boat. We're busy editing and translating a longer report that details ship-reconstructor Vibeke Bischoff's work with the re-interpretation of the find. When finished, the report will be made available for download on the Museum website. Until then though, the very short version is that Gislinge III (Langˇe, on the left) has an additional strake, giving it 14cm more freeboard than Gislinge II (Gisle, on the right). Langˇe is also slightly wider in the fore body than Gisle. And for anyone who missed it yesterday, the working drawings for both are now available via the website

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/gislingeboat/

Ship reconstructor Vibeke Bischoff makes the final adjustments to the modified model of the Gislinge Boat before it is recorded digitally later today. Here, you get an idea of the lines of this new reinterpretation of the remains of the original boat, with a higher freeboard than Gisle (or Gislinge II as we've gotten used to calling it, now that we're about to start construction on Gislinge III). Today, the boatbuilders started the initial shaping of the oak log for the keel, so the Gislinge Boat Project is back in business for another season.

The scale model used to reconstruct the Gislinge boat. The upper most plank was added from last years boat. The original Gislinge boat was found with the top planks missing so this year they are experimenting with an added plank to the sheer.

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Very interesting, so I wasn't the only one worried about freeboard. The difference in the two replicas is noticeable when one looks closely.

I'm amazed at how well they can reconstruct the shape of a boat from a few parts flattened by a millennium of burial, but there are always a few things where they have to guess or extrapolate from other boats.

From the pictures of the model it looks like this boat has flatter floors than the Gokstad faering; I am guessing that with more strakes and a longer boat it is easier to build in the greater garboard twist.

These photos help to spot the difference between the two replicas.

This is the comparison of the body plans of Giselinge and the larger of the Gokstad boats, both SeksŠring/six oars (not the same scale):

The Gokstad SeksŠring: