Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a commission!

Default I have a commission!

Some will know of my interest in free sailing pond yachts, not the RC kind, and as a result of a display of said collection I have a commission to build……………… a sailing model of Jolie Brise. For robustness it will be a plug model I think, but I may 'dummy plank' the hull. 70 cms not including bow sprit (it will be easily replaced as it is almost inevitable it will be broken at some time). I have not been asked for self steering gear, I doubt it will be raced in any case.
    I haven't built a model boat for a very long time and I am quite enthused.

There is a kit which if I can get a look at a pic. will help me in simplifying the rigging for free sailing purposes whilst keeping the spirit of the original. Plenty of reference pics about, the trick of course is to get her to sail properly.

Default Re: I have a commission!

You'd better buy a camera. The build will be interesting
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Finastkind. Looking forward to many pix.

Congrats! I hope that the build goes well and that the client is a dream.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Discrete fixing of the false keel and ballast will be interesting. If it were me I would look at making the display stand and false keel so they share the same fixings.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Congratulations!

I envy your skills. Looking forward to watching her grow under your talented hands.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Subscribed! Looking forward to pics!

What scale? How big will it be?
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Cool!!! I will be looking forward to progress photos as well.

I'm glad for you, and glad for the rest of us who will get to watch. May your hands be steady!

the huge challenge here is getting the hull light enough to carry the requisite ballast to keep her on her feet while not setting too low in the water.

very doable with a balsa build...

We had a couple of those when I was a kid, about 20 inches long, very simple rigs. Free sailing is great, but some times there is a long wait for your ship to come in when the breeze dies.
    Great fun, post lots of pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Discrete fixing of the false keel and ballast will be interesting. If it were me I would look at making the display stand and false keel so they share the same fixings.
    False keel will be insertable from beneath.
    Model about 70cms + bowsprit but that may change. If it's too big it becomes difficult to display.
    Daniel, I had not considered balsa, but considering the bulky hull that is likely a good idea.

Jeff, couldn't you just make up plywood bulkheads for each station and then just plank it with WRC? That would be light and strong and easy to work with.

Rick

Congrats! Love to see some of your work as it progresses.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Awesome! Can't wait for pictures.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Be worth getting the book for 1p plus delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jolie-Brise.../dp/071364785X

I may get the book and include it as part of the deal.
    I have not been asked for a price, but I said I'd need to do some research because of the hull shape. I am considering some inside sliding ballast but do not wish to make the hull too heavy to handle. I have barely begun research yet, but have a drawing of the offsets and may make use of a cad programme as part of the planning. One of my nephews says just enter the specs and have the hull 3d printed. Seems not in keeping with the spirit of the process to me being somewhat old fashioned.
    But I feel that a fully operational rig (as the book cover) might be the biggest challenge at present and a deal of compromise will be necessary unless I dispense with some sails.

In the spirit of crafting a pond yacht , I don`t think simplifying the rig somewhat will detract from the appeal at all.

It should still look like a pond yacht , no ?

An accurate copy of that rig would look spectacular none the less.

Whatever you come up with will be great for sure .
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Your nephew may be n to something though....3-D print the hull to inside dimensions and cold-mold over it with planking for the final surface. That'd give you a nice light, rigid hull with room to accommodate ballast as needed.

^ That sounds like a great strategy! It would save a lot of work (I think ) and it would be so light that you could make it 4 feet (121.92 cm) long. If you were to go for that I could be talked into sending you a mailing tube full of WRC, AYC and DF veneers etc. milled and thickness sanded to your specs, all from my scrap pile.

That sounds like an offer you couldn't refuse Jeff!! Very generous!

Rick

I know someone here at Largs who has or had some wrc strips 3.5mm th x 45mm w x up to 3000mm long. If you wanted any of them I'm sure they'd check the woodpile and send you what you'd find useful. Let me know if you want any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I'll be watching, this is going to be good !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    We had a couple of those when I was a kid, about 20 inches long, very simple rigs. Free sailing is great, but some times there is a long wait for your ship to come in when the breeze dies.
    Great fun, post lots of pics.
    I had a ballasted free sailing "pond yacht " as boy and problem wasn't swimming to recover it it was swimming to catch it! We sailed it at the beach in New Zealand and it had an overwhelming desire to get to Australia ! I still have it but it definitely needs a new rig and sails.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

So THAT'S how you came to Australia!

Rick

I lost a 6ft sailing model Tasman trading schooner on Port Phillip when it sailed out of the rather short range of the Futaba RC unit.
    I had a 17ft surf ski and couldn't catch it. Last seen heading for the heads and Tasmania.
    Sailing models on Albert Park lake all you had to do was wait.

I am surprised at the interest frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Your nephew may be n to something though....3-D print the hull to inside dimensions and cold-mold over it with planking for the final surface. That'd give you a nice light, rigid hull with room to accommodate ballast as needed.
    Hugh. You cannot put the ballast inside of a scale model pond yacht as it will not then stand up to its rig. The ballast needs to be hung underneath in a false keel.

Away from home for a few days, doing some drawings. I might build a card model hull just to get my head around the shape.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    You'd better buy a camera. The build will be interesting
    --- This made me think instantly of the recording cameras that some people put on their RC aircraft and rockets. Do people ever do that to model boats?

I started a little tradition for my girlfriend's grandson: I made him a little square-sailed model that can sail a little in the small waves of Long Island Sound beaches, but almost more fun is making him ad hoc sailboats from driftwood and seagull feathers. I use the blade and saw of my Victorinox to carve choice driftwood and the awl to drill a 'mast step', and plunk one or two gull feathers in for sails. With some practice they can go right out to sea. The attention span of a 5 year old being what it is (so many things to do on the beach), they are probably more for me than him :-) I entertain the fantasy that these come back to the beach and inspire some kid who finds one; we have have a small crowd of kids around us if there are any near -- the parents evince no interest because they have their computer phones, of course, the beach for them is a a kimnd of mute babysitter; we need more DIY-curiosity in the current generations; there, I said it! -- Wade
    Last edited by wtarzia; 03-29-2018 at 08:07 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjlHKLJXdkg
    http://www.joliebrisemodels.co.uk/index.html

Size is about right, but the detail is something to aspire to… but I think mine may end up flush decked for seaworthy reasons. It is likely to be sailed in salt water, that detail of rigging would definitely be rather difficult to work I think.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-30-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Hugh. You cannot put the ballast inside of a scale model pond yacht as it will not then stand up to its rig. The ballast needs to be hung underneath in a false keel.
    depends on the scale and weight of the hull.

I strip planked an 18" hull inspired by Madge the crack cutter and balasted with lead shot internally, it stood up to a towering rig and bow sprit the lenght o the boat in anything up to a 10 mph breeze, no external ballast.

I was sailing this hull at Marble Head one day at the model boat pond and a fleet of MH one designs was linging up for a race all were RC boats, my little cutter sailed happily through the entire fleet of becalmed racers just bobing there and continued on, leaving a lil wake, off across the pond!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjlHKLJXdkg
    http://www.joliebrisemodels.co.uk/index.html

Size is about right, but the detail is something to aspire to… but I think mine may end up flush decked for seaworthy reasons. It is likely to be sailed in salt water, that detail of rigging would definitely be rather difficult to work I think.
    Can I suggest that the deck house would make an excellent access hatch for the stuff below decks. Many vintage pond yachts had a lifting handle under an oval hatch. The other hatches and skylights can be solid blocks for appearance sakes.

Subscribed.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.