Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a commission!

Default Re: I have a commission!

Good looking hull Daniel, I have been in conversation with a bloke I knew as a model builder years ago who lives in California now.
    He says strip plank too. 3d printing seems step too far, lots of 'puter preparation.
    One of the old pond yachts I have has a reversable centre plate, changes the balance of the boat considerably. Theoretically to deal with light or heavy air. She is incomplete and I have never sailed her. I do not restore my old yachts, just work to preserve if necessary.

News. Research is done as far as I need for the hull. Drawings and detail info on the way.
    I'll be doing OK if I can build one that sails half as good as this…….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_gDEqCC49c

And there's a fast track instruction on youtube as well………..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhCDIOg4zA&t=35s

Plans have arrived in the form of a CD. Very comprehensive. Much reading to be done.

Takes me back.. We had a hollowed out hull a bit like a thames barge in the 60s. Around three feet long, pulled my younger brother through the surf in it. We then put a lid on it and rigged it with a barge set up. When the weather was iffy to take the real boat out in Falmouth bay, we sailed it between headlands, except.. it tacked on a wave half way and set off to France. We tracked it with the binos until it disapeared and hoped some French kid got a nice surprise.

Local guy built two very accurat models of JB. After building the first, a French friend hassled him to buy it. Then we had the Big Gale at the end of the last century and it lifted the roof clean off his house. Since his workshop was in the loft, it left quite a mess, except the model was left untouched in the middle. He thought that might be telling him something, so sold it to the guy. Then built another.. Planked..
    Last edited by Andrew2; 07-12-2018 at 02:44 PM.

That's fantastic Jeff! Just like a contemporary yacht - a traditional hull and rig and a whole lot of modern paraphernalia piled up on the stern!

Only kidding - it looks really fantastic! You'll have a lot of fun with this project and I know you'll do a great job! I hope we get to see it in the flesh before you deliver it to the lucky client!

Rick

This one you posted is certainly something to aspire to!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I lost a 6ft sailing model Tasman trading schooner on Port Phillip when it sailed out of the rather short range of the Futaba RC unit.
    I had a 17ft surf ski and couldn't catch it. Last seen heading for the heads and Tasmania.
    Sailing models on Albert Park lake all you had to do was wait.....
    --- I have never seen free-sailing models operated by people who know about them. I have built some wooden sailboat toys for a little boy, but I end up just wading out and letting them sail into or across the shore, so recovery is not an issue. (Sometimes I rough-carve driftwood and set them to sail out to sea on seagull feathers -- vaguely poignant experiences). So how is it done on ponds? Do you have to tether them to 500 feet of fishing line? -- Wade

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    This one you posted is certainly something to aspire to!
    --- These little cameras should add another dimension to the hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    --- I have never seen free-sailing models operated by people who know about them. I have built some wooden sailboat toys for a little boy, but I end up just wading out and letting them sail into or across the shore, so recovery is not an issue. (Sometimes I rough-carve driftwood and set them to sail out to sea on seagull feathers -- vaguely poignant experiences). So how is it done on ponds? Do you have to tether them to 500 feet of fishing line? -- Wade
    You go to the other end of the pond or follow in a rowboat.

Rick

Albert ParkLake, if all else failed you just walked out to it…..chest deep at the worst.

CD has arrived with the most comprehensive set of plans, figures, offsets and a vast collection of photographs of detail from the actual boat. I have no excuse not to produce a good model
    I think I'm going to build two hulls. The first a plug model either in two halves or sandwich before I venture into planked models. Depending on whether the model is to be sailed or just displayed will make a difference in how I start.
    BTW, started a Balsa half model today, just to get stuff ironed out and a feel for it's shape.

Do you have a camera Jeff ? Progress photos are expected .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

They will be forthcoming once there is any actual progress. A half size half model hull in the early stages is not progress.
    First task is to clear a dedicated space for the job. Not all that easy.

good work,congratulations!

I was looking about at boat/models with deep hulls, and I found this model.

French.
    Yacht model, class 1730, of type "weighted hall" with the rigging of cutter. The hull, long keel, is bordered in varnished wood on frames, the deck is varnished wood. Lead ball over the entire length of the keel. The auric rig includes mainsail, flesh on balestron, staysail and jib. Low and high mast are assembled by bone chouques. Low and high runners. Circa 1880. Sails redone, in the great tradition, in Egyptian Cotton. Long house 1,63 m, long hull 1,15 m, high 1,75 m.