Thread: U.S. Space Force

Default U.S. Space Force

Trump raises eyebrows with call for ‘a space force’
    03/14/18 08:42 AM—Updated 03/14/18 08:48 AM

Last summer, Donald Trump hosted a White House event in recognition of an executive order on the National Space Council. It wouldn’t have been especially notable, were it not for the president sharing some unscripted thoughts on the topic of the day.

“This is infinity here,” Trump said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something – but it could be infinity, right?”

I still have no idea what he was even trying to say.

Regardless, between this and his comments yesterday, I’m starting to think the president should avoid this issue altogether. Politico reported:
    President Donald Trump predicted on Tuesday that the U.S. would reach Mars “very soon” and backed the idea of creating a militaristic “space force,” seemingly expressing support for a measure that faced opposition from officials in his own administration.
    Touting recent technological advancements, Trump forecast that “very soon we’re going to Mars” – a feat that he said wouldn’t have been possible had Hillary Clinton prevailed in the 2016 election.
    Let’s unpack this one, because it’s kind of amazing.

First, I suppose “very soon” is a relative term, but a manned mission to Mars is decades away.

Second, Trump still seems to be running the 2016 race in his mind. “You wouldn’t have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you,” he said yesterday. “You wouldn’t even be thinking about it.” To the extent that reality matters, Hillary Clinton described herself as “an enthusiastic supporter of human space flight,” committed her administration to investing in the endeavor, including a Mars mission.

And then there was the whole “space force” thing. “My new national strategy for space recognizes that space is a warfighting domain, just like the land, air, and sea,” the president said yesterday. “We may even have a space force – develop another one, space force. We have the Air Force, we’ll have the space force.”

Describing a conversation with his team, Trump added, “Then I said, ‘What a great idea!’ Maybe we’ll have to do that.’ That could happen.” After taking a brief break to describe journalists on hand for the event as “fake news” – I guess he lost his train of thought – the president went on to say, “So think of that: Space force, because we are spending a lot and we have a lot of private money coming in, tremendous.”

For what it’s worth, there’s already an Air Force Space Command. But even putting that aside, Politico’s piece noted that when some in Congress worked on creating a U.S. Space Corps, it drew opposition – from the Trump administration.

As for the president’s apparent affection for space exploration, let’s also not forget that Trump’s budget plan makes significant cuts to investments in NASA.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: U.S. Space Force

He hasn't got a clue. Bigly sad.

"To Infinity and Beyond."

He is trying to be both Kennedy and Reagan, and doing an unconscious parody.

The guy who has picked up the mantle is Elon Musk. One of the new Nobility.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

yup, could be infinity, don’t really know, huge, bigger than an ocean, don’t really know, doo wah diddy, diddy dumb diddy doo, trade wars are good and easy to win, doo wah diddy diddy dumb diddy doo

i dunno. i guess 100 years ago the idea of an air force sounded dumb. puny humans militarize everything they can, why not space?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i dunno. i guess 100 years ago the idea of an air force sounded dumb. puny humans militarize everything they can, why not space?
    Because the US military is already in space.

It’s like saying “you know, oceans, the army could use the Navy to go places, or maybe the AirForce, who knows, we could do that right? Yeah, we could call it the Army That Goes Places, yeah”

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Because the US military is already in space.

It’s like saying “you know, oceans, the army could use the Navy to go places, or maybe the AirForce, who knows, we could do that right? Yeah, we could call it the Army That Goes Places, yeah”

and there were planes dropping bombs by hand out of the open cockpits of biplanes before there was an official "air force". what's your point?

and there were planes dropping bombs by hand out of the open cockpits of biplanes before there was an official "air force". what's your point?

Here Alan I got you a shirt.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Here Alan I got you a shirt.

don't think i won't suit up in that and hit warp speed to the neutral zone.

Notice it’s a red shirt!

they were expendable!
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Notice it’s a red shirt!

they were expendable!

you are severely misinformed

i can go on

Truth be told, I know you are an engineer!
    Last edited by SKIP KILPATRICK; 03-14-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    yup, could be infinity, don’t really know, huge, bigger than an ocean, don’t really know, doo wah diddy, diddy dumb diddy doo, trade wars are good and easy to win, doo wah diddy diddy dumb diddy doo
    She looked good, she looked fine
    and I nearly lost my mind.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

For some reason I thought that space, like Antarctica, was off-limits to militarization by international treaty?
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    For some reason I thought that space, like Antarctica, was off-limits to militarization by international treaty?
    yeah, yeah, yeah
    you know what this is? The calm before the storm.
    doo wah diddy diddy dumb diddy doo
    bada bing bada bing
    billions and billions
    It’s fantastic believe me

Libs just told us hawking was brilliant as he said aliens wuz coming to get us.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindboggingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen ..." and so on.
    [Thank you, Douglas Adams ]

The US Air Force Is Preparing For War in Space in The Next Few Years (ARTICLE LINK)

Excerpt
    The Air Force already faces extensive operational obligations on Earth, but the service is shifting focus to prepare for what many see as the growing potential for conflict in space.

In a speech at the Air Force Association's air-warfare symposium in Florida in late February, Air Force Chief of Staff General David Goldfein said it was "time for us as a service, regardless of specialty badge, to embrace space superiority with the same passion and sense of ownership as we apply to air superiority today."

It's not the first time Air Force leadership has underscored the importance of space.

Goldfein outlined the Air Force's preparations for space operations in a February 2017 op-ed. In October, Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson emphasised the interests the US has in space and stressed the Air Force's obligation to prepare for conflict there.

"We are the ones, since 1954, who are responsible for everything from 100 feet below the earth in missile silos all the way up to the stars," she said at an event in Washington, DC.

"We need to normalise space from a national-security perspective. We have to have all of our officers who are wearing blue uniforms more knowledgeable about space capabilities and how it connects to the other domains."

US national-security officials have said space will become a venue for a range of state and non-state actors with the continued expansion of the space industry and increased availability of technology, private-sector investment, and proliferation of international partnerships for shared production and operations.

"All actors will increasingly have access to space-derived information services, such as imagery, weather, communications, and positioning, navigation, and timing for intelligence, military, scientific, or business purposes," Daniel Coats, the director of national intelligence, said in a Worldwide Threat Assessment delivered to the Senate Intelligence Committee earlier this year.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

I for one, think having an air Force is dumb now and has been since it was created. Perhaps a separate branch for land based missiles, but the rest should have never been moved out if the army.

Sent from my Vivo 8L using Tapatalk

Orangehair (apologies to Gen. George Armstrong Custer) must not be aware of Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, Including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies, signed by President Johnson on 27 January 1967, and ratified by the United States Senate on 10 October 1967. As the Constitution puts it, the "supreme law of the land", and on a par with the Constitution.

But that would require some awareness of reality.

Article IV.

States Parties to the Treaty undertake not to place in orbit around the Earth any objects carrying nuclear weapons or any other kinds of weapons of mass destruction, install such weapons on celestial bodies, or station such weapons in outer space in any other manner.

The Moon and other celestial bodies shall be used by all States Parties to the Treaty exclusively for peaceful purposes. The establishment of military bases, installations and fortifications, the testing of any type of weapons and the conduct of military maneuvers on celestial bodies shall be forbidden. The use of military personnel for scientific research or for any other peaceful purposes shall not be prohibited. The use of any equipment or facility necessary for peaceful exploration of the Moon and other celestial bodies shall also not be prohibited.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)