Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    I wanted to share with you the project that has been going on for three years. It is not over yet, but there is very little work.
    I share a few photos. More on the link.
    https://goo.gl/photos/NzWfiTrDyQxR5z3J8
    My instagram page @playboyrunabout thanks for this opportunity.
    woodenboat.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    16,048

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Thanks for posting about your boat, Ersan. It looks very good so far. Will you be installing forward controls, or operate the engine from the stern, as in the original illustration?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Thanks for posting about your boat, Ersan. It looks very good so far. Will you be installing forward controls, or operate the engine from the stern, as in the original illustration?
    I want remote control. electric start outboard.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    16,048

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    I agree with your choice. How much horsepower are you planning to install?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    The original plan also says 20-25hp

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Oriental, NC USA
    Posts
    4,732

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    The Playboy is looking good and should be a lot of fun. I don't think William Jackson receives enough credit for his huge output of homebuilt designs.
    Tom L

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    2,393

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    I can’t wait to see more pictures! I have always had a soft spot for this design, but at 6 foot - 3 inches, I’ve never been sure I would fit.

    Thanks for posting.

    Jeff
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    2,801

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    And finally, someone has produced an informative video on William D. Jackson (I studied his plans until the magazines disintegrated):


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    And finally, someone has produced an informative video on William D. Jackson (I studied his plans until the magazines disintegrated):


    an incredible career.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Deck inlay Process
    İnstagram @playboyrunabout
    DeckShare1.jpg

    DeckShare2.jpg

    DeckShare3.jpg

    DeckShare4.jpg

    DeckShare5.jpg
    Last edited by Ersan; 05-02-2018 at 06:22 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    N.E. Connecticut.
    Posts
    6,142

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Your new pictures are not showing up. We would love to see them as you seem to be doing a fine job on a nice boat.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by nedl View Post
    your new pictures are not showing up. We would love to see them as you seem to be doing a fine job on a nice boat.

    thx y>

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    N.E. Connecticut.
    Posts
    6,142

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Now I see them,...... Very nice!!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA, USA
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Great project, Ersan. I'll be following your progress with great interest as I have a lifelong love of this design.

    My father built a Playboy back in 1967. The boat has had a couple of periods of inactivity, but mostly it has seen a great deal of use with countless fishing trips, water skiing, and picnic/swimming trips.

    We have used engines of 20, 35, 40, and 48 horsepower, all 2 stroke.

    The 20 h.p. was marginal as the boat struggled to plane with two adults on-board.

    The 35 and 40 h.p. engines were great, with plenty of power for general use.

    The 48 h.p was selected for deep water start, slalom water skiing. The boat handles the breathtaking acceleration without problem but the top speed (40 m.p.h.) is too much for this very short and wide hull (uncontrollable porpusing).

    If I were to re-power the boat today, I would choose a 30 horsepower, 4 stroke.

    The boat was originally constructed (per plans) with the partial bulkheads that separate the front seat from the rear cockpit. We found that the ergonomics were cramped, especially when running in choppy water as there was no way of quickly getting to ones feet to absorb the shock of the larger waves. The helms-person ALWAYS ended up sitting on TOP of the bulkhead with feet on the seat.

    We eventually modified the interior by removing the bulkheads and original seats and building new seats (4) in the typical sport boat configuration: Seats in tandem pairs, one facing forward, one facing aft.

    I would have no problem being laid to rest "Viking Style" in this boat.

    Steve

    Pm8Q1o6.jpg

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by Panope View Post
    Great project, Ersan. I'll be following your progress with great interest as I have a lifelong love of this design.

    My father built a Playboy back in 1967. The boat has had a couple of periods of inactivity, but mostly it has seen a great deal of use with countless fishing trips, water skiing, and picnic/swimming trips.

    We have used engines of 20, 35, 40, and 48 horsepower, all 2 stroke.

    The 20 h.p. was marginal as the boat struggled to plane with two adults on-board.

    The 35 and 40 h.p. engines were great, with plenty of power for general use.

    The 48 h.p was selected for deep water start, slalom water skiing. The boat handles the breathtaking acceleration without problem but the top speed (40 m.p.h.) is too much for this very short and wide hull (uncontrollable porpusing).

    If I were to re-power the boat today, I would choose a 30 horsepower, 4 stroke.

    The boat was originally constructed (per plans) with the partial bulkheads that separate the front seat from the rear cockpit. We found that the ergonomics were cramped, especially when running in choppy water as there was no way of quickly getting to ones feet to absorb the shock of the larger waves. The helms-person ALWAYS ended up sitting on TOP of the bulkhead with feet on the seat.

    We eventually modified the interior by removing the bulkheads and original seats and building new seats (4) in the typical sport boat configuration: Seats in tandem pairs, one facing forward, one facing aft.

    I would have no problem being laid to rest "Viking Style" in this boat.

    Steve
    Thanks are awesome information.
    Is there another photo?

    Im looking 15-25hp 4 stroke.

    I plan to do the interior design like this.


    curlycraftboat2.JPG

    Sorry my language is so bad

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Nice to see this boat being built. I have fond memories of boating with my dad on one. He bought a new one in the 1960s from a local builder here in Florida who was building designs from the Boat Builder Mag. It was built as an open skiff with two bench seats and a much shorter deck (no windshield) with narrow side decks back to the transom. If memory is right it had 1/4" sides and 3/8" bottom...exterior ply, bronze ring nails and Weldwood powder glue you mixed with water. We used a 15 hp Evinrude and later a 20 hp Merc. The 15 was all it needed to scoot with two aboard. Then again this one was built without all the extra weight of the original design and no fiberglass. One of the aft frames cracked while slamming into large river chop but took yrs of hard use to do that. Thanks for sharing.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA, USA
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by Ersan View Post
    Thanks are awesome information.
    Is there another photo?

    Im looking 15-25hp 4 stroke.

    I plan to do the interior design like this.


    curlycraftboat2.JPG

    Sorry my language is so bad
    Looks like I have no interior shots. I'll try and photograph the interior tomorrow.

    Here is another hull shot from Mothers day, 1969. I am the newborn in the seat.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Istanbul , Turkey
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    More sounds from my country.. Nice..

    And your work too.. Can I use your pictures in my Turkish blog if possible..? You know the guys like you who build his own boat not much in Turkey

    "kolay gelsin.."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by ersin boke View Post
    More sounds from my country.. Nice..

    And your work too.. Can I use your pictures in my Turkish blog if possible..? You know the guys like you who build his own boat not much in Turkey

    "kolay gelsin.."
    I don't want my progress to be shared publicly until I finish it. I would appreciate if you respect.

    "Teşekkürler"
    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Good looking build. She is very similar in size to the RB14 my daughter and I built. I'm 6'2" and can fit fine with the layout she chose. Being this small, I think it would be very sensitive to a lot of extra passenger weight.
    All that being said, we went with a 25hp and can easily do 30mph. Plenty of pull for such a small boat in my opinion.


    Incidentally, we decked her in a similar manner to what you look to be going after. Instead of caulking, the white lines are colored epoxy in our case.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    Good looking build. She is very similar in size to the RB14 my daughter and I built. I'm 6'2" and can fit fine with the layout she chose. Being this small, I think it would be very sensitive to a lot of extra passenger weight.
    All that being said, we went with a 25hp and can easily do 30mph. Plenty of pull for such a small boat in my opinion.


    Incidentally, we decked her in a similar manner to what you look to be going after. Instead of caulking, the white lines are colored epoxy in our case.

    She very beautiful and looking elegant.

    My boat beam 5'6 1/2" almost 170cm. I think it will be good 25hp Thank you.

    beam.jpg

    By the way cool windshield brackets. I need too.
    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Yes, the beam on our boat is about 7" less.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA, USA
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Fuel tank under passenger seat.
    4CuKk0G.jpg


    Boat was built originally for short shaft outboards. For this latest engine, we selected a long shaft. Transom "cutout" was filled in to prevent waves from spilling into boat.
    7XTGFTq.jpg

    We removed the partial bulkhead and original seats. These new front seats are placed several inches aft of the original location (see hull frame) and are MUCH more comfortable/usable.
    EbsuHrA.jpg

    New seats were built with scrap plywood with the intention of rebuilding using proper wood if the design was sound. That was 27 years ago........
    cysDGxd.jpg
    Last edited by Panope; 05-05-2018 at 01:18 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Thank you so much for photos.
    Different in design.

    good idea deck on glass holder.
    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Last edited by Ersan; 08-17-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    İnstagram @playboyrunabout

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    15,396

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Hey this is fun to watch!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    16,048

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Nice progress, Ersan.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Well done. Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to your continued progress.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Champlain, Vermont
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Beautiful work

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, Washington USA
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Building Playboy runabout 14ft in Turkey

    Very nice, I have started on the Mustang 12'. This design may be my next one.
    "I see!" said the blind man who picked up his hammer and saw.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •