Thread: New Zealand Diplomat tells it

Default New Zealand Diplomat tells it

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — New Zealand’s foreign ministry censured its second-ranking envoy to the United States on Wednesday after she tweeted that the Democratic Party in America should get its act together “or we will all die.”

“Please get your” — and here she used an expletive — “together or we will all die,” she wrote. That was apparently in response to the suggestion that two senators, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, could form a presidential ticket for the 2020 election to defeat President Trump.

The two senators are among the most liberal in Congress and have fervent supporters, but some Democrats fear that putting them on a presidential ticket would turn off moderate voters.

Minutes before her provocative tweet, Ms. Beresford tweeted about the same article in The Hill, saying of Democrats, “They’ve learned nothing.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/w...pgtype=article
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Default Re: New Zealand Diplomat tells it

Folks are frustrated all over, it seems.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand — New Zealand’s foreign ministry censured its second-ranking envoy to the United States on Wednesday after she tweeted that the Democratic Party in America should get its act together “or we will all die.”

“Please get your” — and here she used an expletive — “together or we will all die,” she wrote. That was apparently in response to the suggestion that two senators, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, could form a presidential ticket for the 2020 election to defeat President Trump.

The two senators are among the most liberal in Congress and have fervent supporters, but some Democrats fear that putting them on a presidential ticket would turn off moderate voters.

Minutes before her provocative tweet, Ms. Beresford tweeted about the same article in The Hill, saying of Democrats, “They’ve learned nothing.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/w...pgtype=article
    So whom else is there that is rising in the Democratic Party that is likely to be put on the 'presidential ticket' ?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    So whom else is there that is rising in the Democratic Party that is likely to be put on the 'presidential ticket' ?
    To be rising in the Democratic Party is a likely indicator of a POS candidate. What's needed is someone to tell the mommies and the freaks to kiss off. Back to basics. What's more important, limitation of war powers or gender equality?
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Kamala Harris, maybe. Seth Moulton, maybe. Gavin Newsom, maybe....

....and who knows who else. At this point in the 2008 election cycle, nobody ever heard of Barack Obama.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

...and nobody in 2015 thought Trump was a viable candidate. Who knows where saviors (and villains) come from?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Kamala Harris, maybe. Seth Moulton, maybe. Gavin Newsom, maybe....
    What do they say about having a torturer as head of the CIA?

"They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them..."

The Dems have indeed been given a Sign and a Revelation: in the likeness of the Lamb shall ye conquer. And behold, if the Sign is understood, there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the tents of the unjust.

Let those who have ears, hear.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

What do they say about having a torturer as head of the CIA?
    She's gotta pass confirmation, as does Pompeo. What I've read - even some Republicans have doubts/concerns about these two.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    "They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them..."

The Dems have indeed been given a Sign and a Revelation: in the likeness of the Lamb shall ye conquer. And behold, if the Sign is understood, there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the tents of the unjust.

Let those who have ears, hear.
    Yeah. That's nice. Got a name?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

The first line was somewhere in Revelation 17, but the rest was my own speaking in tongues.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I am troubled by "in the likeness of a lamb" as opposed to "as a lamb."

Translation differences.

At least half the planet's humans are waiting for the Democratic Party to grow up and produce a candidate. A candidate of Obama quality is too much to expect but will the Democrats at least come up with someone who will beat Trump?

Please?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I've got a fence post I'm willing to run. More charismatic, speaks betterer, better looking, smarter.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    At least half the planet's humans are waiting for the Democratic Party to grow up and produce a candidate. A candidate of Obama quality is too much to expect but will the Democrats at least come up with someone who will beat Trump?

Please?
    Good question.

Another good question : Will the Republicans come up with someone who will beat Trump?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Folks are frustrated all over, it seems.
    Yes... and I'm sorry that you guys up North, downunder, in Enzed, and across the pond have to deal with our s4!t while we get our s4!t together.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

To be rising in the Democratic Party is a likely indicator of a POS candidate. What's needed is someone to tell the mommies and the freaks to kiss off. Back to basics. What's more important, limitation of war powers or gender equality?
    That's a rhetorical question, yah?

Hang on.... I thought you guys were getting it together a bit?

Dealing with NK (yes, you can thank me later).

Unemployment down from 10% under Obama to, what is it now, 4% or something like that?

Sheesh, what more do you want, export markets for cars on Mars?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Hang on.... I thought you guys were getting it together a bit?

Dealing with NK (yes, you can thank me later) and thank SK.

Unemployment down from 10% that Obama inherited & got going back in the right direction, what is it now, 4% or something like that?

Sheesh, what more do you want, export markets for cars on Mars?
    One's already exported. Oh - I corrected your post. Thought you'd want it factual.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    One's already exported. Oh - I corrected your post. Thought you'd want it factual.
    Ahh... but it was factual
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Ahh... but it was factual
    OK - no longer slanted then.

At what point does obama leave the white house?

Last I checked, he left in Jan. 2017. The unemployment rate was 4.8 then. Here you go:

Jan 1, 2017 4.80%
    Jan 1, 2016 4.90%
    Jan 1, 2015 5.70%
    Jan 1, 2014 6.60%
    Jan 1, 2013 8.00%
    Jan 1, 2012 8.30%
    Jan 1, 2011 9.10%
    Jan 1, 2010 9.80%
    Jan 1, 2009 7.80%

Last I checked, he left in Jan. 2017. The unemployment rate was 4.8 then. Here you go:

Jan 1, 2017 4.80%
    Jan 1, 2016 4.90%
    Jan 1, 2015 5.70%
    Jan 1, 2014 6.60%
    Jan 1, 2013 8.00%
    Jan 1, 2012 8.30%
    Jan 1, 2011 9.10%
    Jan 1, 2010 9.80%
    Jan 1, 2009 7.80%
    One could argue that business confidence started to improve the moment it became apparent that Hillary would be running... and that even the drover's dog could beat her. (sorry for the last bit... it's from Oz political history).

One could argue that business confidence started to improve the moment it became apparent that Hillary would be running... and that even the drover's dog could beat her. (sorry for the last bit... it's from Oz political history).
    The constant downward trend from 2010 to 2017 is meaningless? Don;t tell me you're a Trumpkin too?

The constant downward trend from 2010 to 2017 is meaningless? Don;t tell me you're a Trumpkin too?
    Hell no... he's 'orrible.

I suspect that US Democrats are probably closer to our Conservatives in Oz.... although some of the Republican's free market policies make sense (but not the emerging tariff war)

Hell no... he's 'orrible.

I suspect that US Democrats are probably closer to our Conservatives in Oz.... although some of the Republican's free market policies make sense (but not the emerging tariff war)
    Tariffs aren't a Rep. thing - they're an idiot thing.

Tariffs aren't a Rep. thing - they're an idiot thing.
    Big time

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    At least half the planet's humans are waiting for the Democratic Party to grow up and produce a candidate. ... will the Democrats at least come up with someone who will beat Trump?
    Perhaps you should be as worried about other countries. China and Russia to name two. Perhaps your country should grow up enough to take care of its citizens.

I don't think the Democrats will ever grow up. They seem to be a coalition of disparate groups. The party tends to disappoint one group or another.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Perhaps you should be as worried about other countries. China and Russia to name two. Perhaps your country should grow up enough to take care of its citizens.

I don't think the Democrats will ever grow up. They seem to be a coalition of disparate groups. The party tends to disappoint one group or another.
    You’re not big on history are you?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    You’re not big on history are you?
    I think we are talking about the present and future.

But I play as fast and loose with history as most do.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I've got a fence post I'm willing to run. More charismatic, speaks betterer, better looking, smarter.
    just a good fence post, doesn’t have to be the best.