Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun discharge in school

Default gun discharge in school

Kids are going to take 17 minute break today. They could be on to something.

https://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article...y-12751275.php

SEASIDE, Calif. — A teacher who also serves as a reserve police officer accidentally fired a gun inside a Seaside High School classroom Tuesday, police said, and three students were injured.

Dennis Alexander was teaching a course about gun safety for his Administration of Justice class when his gun went off at 1:20 p.m.

A press release from the Seaside Police Department said no one suffered "serious injuries." One 17-year-old boy suffered moderate injuries when fragments from the bullet ricocheted off the ceiling and lodged into his neck, the student's father, Fermin Gonzales, told KSBW.
    The 17-year-old boy's parents were shocked when he returned home from school with blood on his shirt and bullet fragments in his neck. The student's parents rushed him to a hospital for X-rays.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news...oom/vi-BBKbGkM
    Last edited by LeeG; 03-14-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Default Re: gun discharge in school

"The 17-year-old boy's parents were shocked when he returned home from school with blood on his shirt and bullet fragments in his neck. The student's parents rushed him to a hospital for X-rays."

Eh? His parents? Where was the school's 'duty of care'? Where was the medical attention?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-14-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Probably need another teacher with a gun to protect from this. It's obviously the only way.
    Tom

Yeah arm the teachers, yeah right that will work.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

What "responsible" weapon owner , much less reserve police officer, verifies a weapon is empty by pointing it at the ceiling and pulling the trigger ? I learned to " always" safe the weapon, remove the magazine (clip), open the action and physically and visually verify an empty chamber and bore. To my knowledge, there were / are no acceptable shortcuts to thus process. During my service as a U.S. Navy Gunner's Mate (1967-1979), I familiarized hundreds of sailors on small arms (rifles and pistols), and I NEVER allowed anyone to verify a weapon was empty by simply pointing it up and pulling the trigger.

Rick

Arm the students.

Arm the school bus drivers.

Hell, arm the little old lady who serves food in the school cafeteria.

Bang bang, shoot shoot.

Happiness is a warm gun.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Since when do you teach a gun course in a classroom?

Since when do you allow a student to go about their day without medical attention after a gun is discharged in their classroom?

Some people need to lose their jobs over this!

I wonder what ever happened about that "accidental" shooting in the Alabama school last week. It seems to have just disappeared into the long list of deaths at schools due to gunfire.

Oh well, Thoughts and prayers.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

"A reserve police officer" should have been the first clue...

(If you can't make the A team in a small town police force like Seaside, you are not qualified to walk the dog)

*Teachers are not legally allowed to have firearms in California classrooms, even if they have a concealed carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    "A reserve police officer" should have been the first clue...

(If you can't make the A team in a small town police force like Seaside, you are not qualified to walk the dog)

*Teachers are not legally allowed to have firearms in California classrooms, even if they have a concealed carry permit.
    A "fail" on so many levels ...

Rick

There are no firearms accidents. Someone is responsible for anything and everything that happens. This has to be the mantra; this has to be believed and affirmed by everyone. Everyone has to agree to give up possession of firearms when the unacceptable happens.

They sent that kid home with chunks of a bullet in his neck? He just collected his college tuition and a whole lot more.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I can see "Seaside" from my deck, it is next to Fort Ord. I avoid going specifically there, but have to pass through it on the way to Big Sur.
    Fort Ord is now the site of a new college campus (California State University, Monterey Bay) and I expect Seaside values to rise in the near future.

Strip-clubs not schools are the place for shootings!

‘Persons of interest’ sought in connection with strip club shooting; victim identified

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Authorities say a man was killed in a double shooting at a Richmond strip club early Wednesday morning.
    Officers responded to the call of a shooting at approximately 1:09 a.m. at the Candy Bar in the 3900 block of Hull Street Road.
    #BREAKING one man is dead after a double shooting at a Gentleman's Club called #CandyBar on Hull Street Road in #Richmond @8NEWS pic.twitter.com/uCdhzi60Mg
    — Talya Cunningham (@Talya8news) March 14, 2018

When officers arrived at the scene, they discovered two men in the parking lot with gunshot wounds. Both were taken to the hospital, where one of the men died from his injuries, police said. He has been identified as 33-year-old Timothy Vest of Blue Ridge Avenue.

The other man sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Detectives are trying to identify two persons in interest in the case. Surveillance video shows the two men that detectives are considering persons of interest.
    Stay with 8News for updates on this developing story.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

One can only dream of the time these kids shoot their parents instead. That will effect change.

Don't wonder about these reds sometimes.

LMAO
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    There are no firearms accidents. Someone is responsible for anything and everything that happens. This has to be the mantra; this has to be believed and affirmed by everyone. Everyone has to agree to give up possession of firearms when the unacceptable happens.
    This I agree with.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Don't wonder about these reds sometimes.

LMAO
    The parents are the problem and their parents before them and probably another set before them.

I bet the problem is both red and blue.

So the child shooting his parents will solve anything? And what about the shooters siblings, is it just remove the whole family from the gene pool?

Oh and I note that the prospect of such a multiple murder with a gun is not seen as a problem.

Does anyone understand how that explains that a kid got shrapnel in his neck from a ricochet that a wanna-be cop shot into the ceiling?

It was his... grandparents' fault? Great grandparents? The cop's parents?

LMAO

We didn't need people armed in or around schools before liberals decided on a better way to raise children.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Does anyone understand how that explains that a kid got shrapnel in his neck from a ricochet that a wanna-be cop shot into the ceiling?

It was his... grandparents' fault? Great grandparents? The cop's parents?

LMAO
    This is Trump's fault...

From what I've read, it's more likely the kids got hit with debris from the ceiling and not bullet fragments.
    The teacher has been suspended. What a dope. The same thing happened a few years ago.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The same thing happened a few years ago.
    And will undoubtedly happen several times again.

And it happened again!

Alexandria, Virginia 3/13/2018

No one was hurt!

Apparently these people just are as adept as they should be!

https://www.acps.k12.va.us/
    Important Message
    • Tuesday, March 13, 10:56 a.m.

Statement from the Alexandria Police Department regarding the incident at George Washington Middle School

Police Conduct Investigation Regarding Officer’s Discharge of Weapon at School

The Alexandria Police Department is investigating the circumstances surrounding an officer accidentally discharging his weapon this morning at George Washington Middle School, 1005 Mount Vernon Avenue.

At approximately 9:10 a.m., a School Resource Officer accidentally discharged his service weapon inside his office at the middle school. He immediately checked for potential injuries in the area. No one was injured. The officer then contacted his supervisor and school staff. All students and staff are safe and classes continued as normal.

The officer is a five year veteran of the Alexandria Police Department. The Alexandria Police Department is conducting an investigation into the circumstance surrounding the incident. The officer has been placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
    Skip

Well, I feel safer! How about you folks?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    We didn't need people armed in or around schools before liberals decided on a better way to raise children.
    Was that sometime before the Bath School massacre in 1927?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    From what I've read, it's more likely the kids got hit with debris from the ceiling and not bullet fragments.
    The teacher has been suspended. What a dope. The same thing happened a few years ago.
    Ceiling or metal fragment?

From the link in the OP.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    What "responsible" weapon owner , much less reserve police officer, verifies a weapon is empty by pointing it at the ceiling and pulling the trigger ? I learned to " always" safe the weapon, remove the magazine (clip), open the action and physically and visually verify an empty chamber and bore. To my knowledge, there were / are no acceptable shortcuts to thus process. During my service as a U.S. Navy Gunner's Mate (1967-1979), I familiarized hundreds of sailors on small arms (rifles and pistols), and I NEVER allowed anyone to verify a weapon was empty by simply pointing it up and pulling the trigger.

Rick
    There are lots of implementation failures it seems lately - here's one I remember reading from a couple years ago:
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/34878852/...ademy-shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Was that sometime before the Bath School massacre in 1927?
    The increase in frequency started in the '60's and '70's and continues to this day, the greatest generation were bad parents.

I suppose we should address this like we do everything now, rather then correct Jimmy for being a bad boy we'll just take away the stick he used to beat Mary and send him to his room, Time Out!

Maybe this is an example of "It takes a village idiot" theory of child rearing

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Maybe this is an example of "It takes a village idiot" theory of child rearing
    The village idiot and the town drunk. This is the police, just wait until we arm the teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    And it happened again!

Alexandria, Virginia 3/13/2018

No one was hurt!

Apparently these people just are as adept as they should be!

https://www.acps.k12.va.us/
    Important Message
    • Tuesday, March 13, 10:56 a.m.

Statement from the Alexandria Police Department regarding the incident at George Washington Middle School

Police Conduct Investigation Regarding Officer’s Discharge of Weapon at School

The Alexandria Police Department is investigating the circumstances surrounding an officer accidentally discharging his weapon this morning at George Washington Middle School, 1005 Mount Vernon Avenue.

At approximately 9:10 a.m., a School Resource Officer accidentally discharged his service weapon inside his office at the middle school. He immediately checked for potential injuries in the area. No one was injured. The officer then contacted his supervisor and school staff. All students and staff are safe and classes continued as normal.

The officer is a five year veteran of the Alexandria Police Department. The Alexandria Police Department is conducting an investigation into the circumstance surrounding the incident. The officer has been placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
    dayum! An epidemic? Call the CDC!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    dayum! An epidemic? Call the CDC!
    Nope, sorry, the NRA will not allow any research into these shootings - have to try something else to determine cause / effect...

Rick

And we are really only hearing about these due to current events. How many times has it happened previously? Guns don't belong in schools. Period.
    Tom