Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penn election

Default Penn election

One or the other side will be embarrassed. But I figure that if it is even mildly close, the Dems will gain momentum. Let alone if they win.

How many more Republicans facing the midterms will discover tomorrow morning that they want to sit this out, and "spend more time with their families"?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: Penn election

A whole lot more, I hope. The sooner we're rid of the current crop of regressives the better.

Lamb up by 3 percent. 51 to 48%.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Lamb up still by 1.5% with 87 percent in.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Over 90% of the vote now, and Lamb is up by... 0.4%. Migod.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Nail biter at nearly even with 95% in.

There is still time for the butcher to press his thumb on the scale.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Let the cheating begin!
    PaulF

Crazy tight. Will go down to the absentee votes.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Crazy tight. Will go down to the absentee votes.
    Too much riding on this for the Repugs, they won't let this slip away.
    PaulF

Even if they "win," they have already lost.

Strange how long it takes to count so few votes, isn't it?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Strange how long it takes to count so few votes, isn't it?
    Well the folks stuffing the box can fill out extra votes only so fast
    PaulF

this is very close

Yep. Defines "Close race."

They are saying Lamb is up by 95 votes. Out of 220,000.

95votes

Defies belief!

As in I don't believe it.
    Skip

3000 absentee ballots coming in a minute from Allegheny County. Washington county won’t have theirs until tomorrow.

Now it’s Lamb by 847.

Trump should campaign more.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Conor Lamb leads by 0.3 percentage points, or 579 votes, over Rick Saccone with 100 percent of precincts fully reporting.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-election.html

This is too close, people. What it really means is the RWW's are _not_ the minority many have been trying to convince themselves they are.

This billboard is in a 'progressive college town', Cookeville, TN.. home of Tenn Tech.. and I guarantee it is making business for its owners.

0303181733-1.jpg

Just a guess: if Trump hadn't come and held a seriously obnoxious rally, the Republican might have won.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Whoever wins it’s a good sign. Trump should keep campaigning for Republican candidates.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/dem...ial-house-race

Republicans have long argued that Saccone was a flop of a candidate, and they’re right, but that only partly explains of the election’s photo finish. Saccone struggled mightily with fundraising, had a highly antagonistic relationship with unions – a real problem in the labor-heavy district – and proved to be far less charismatic than Lamb, a fresh-faced former Marine. But Saccone was no Roy Moore, and in a normal political environment even a lackluster candidate should have been able to win with little problem.

Tuesday night’s result is the latest sign of a building Democratic wave, and suggests it may not be limited solely to suburban areas. While Pennsylvania’s 18th district contains a good chunk of better-educated Pittsburgh suburbs, much of it covers blue-collar and more exurban territory, and it’s overwhelmingly white. The rural and poorer portions of the district have not shifted as dramatically towards Lamb as the more educated areas, but he has shown marked improvement compared to Hillary Clinton’s performance in the district in 2016.

Very, very close, and not over yet.

Conor Lamb leads by 0.3 percentage points, or 641 votes, over Rick Saccone with 100 percent of precincts fully reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    What it really means is the RWW's are _not_ the minority many have been trying to convince themselves they are.
    Well, no. Congressional districts vary a lot, and Trump won this one by almost 20% of the vote. Cookeville's progressive? Lordy. I put in a bunch of machinery at the TRW airbag plant there years ago, and it sure could have fooled me. But I'm a city kid form the north.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-14-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

As Durnik observed above, I think the result should be read as a referendum, and while we ought to be heartened by Lamb's startling support in a very Red district, we also ought to understand now that Trump's effective base is bigger than 35%.

This shouldn't have been close. Hell, the Alabama election shouldn't have been close either. It was. Next Fall's races will be close too.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    They are saying Lamb is up by 95 votes. Out of 220,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    3000 absentee ballots coming in a minute from Allegheny County. Washington county won’t have theirs until tomorrow.

That is about 1.36% of voters. Enough to sway it either way.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Now that the special election is over, that Trump campaigned so fabulously for, his tariff talkimg points will fade away.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.2e71f27c24c0

In Pennsylvania, President Trump preened before an approving crowd as he trumpeted his decision to slap tariffs on aluminum and steel imports. “ A lot of steel mills are now opening up because what I did,” Trump crowed, without offering evidence. “Steel is back, and aluminum is back.”

The sudden decision on tariffs was clearly timed politically — as the White House and Republicans make a final push to try to avoid an embarrassing defeat in Tuesday’s special election in a deep-red Pennsylvania congressional district that Trump won by nearly 20 points in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

Cookeville's progressive? Lordy. I put in a bunch of machinery at the TRW airbag plant there years ago, and it sure could have fooled me. But I'm a city kid form the north.
    Missed the "air quotes", you did. To avoid the unpleasantness of Cookeville's 'holier than thou' Christians, I go to Crossville - another hour away - for services. TTU just recently showed its colors here - angering more than a few.. but causing more than a bit of glee in many. Still, my point stands. 'Bagger support is greater than 50% in this country.. Even Hispanics (Catholics, eh?) largely vote conservative..

Tom gets it, we are in trouble. Due, imho, almost entirely to Democrats refusing to acknowledge an uncomfortable reality - their policies don't speak to many people. Claiming 'the other guys are worse' apparently doesn't cut the cake.

Officially Lamb.

Is this subject to a re-count? Will seating be suspended pending a final dispensation? This seat is only until November, I believe.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Last night I read (cannot recall where, but the source seemed valid enough for it to stick with me) that a recount is not automatic but can be requested if petitioned with signatures of three voters from each precinct, or something like that.

In light of the short term of the seat, I wonder why they would bother. The millions spent on this one election already... ugh. Pay the teachers, fix the roads, feed the hungry!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Let's see how they spin this. The Saracens have taken the keep in the beating heart of the kingdom. That's got to smart. Did it with less money too.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.