Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Smoking Was Cool

Default Re: When Smoking Was Cool

Cuz we're stupid Joe.
    Dumbest thing I ever did was start.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Joe, there is a reason I won't pick up that pipe till I turn 70. I want to die from something else, but also not to live too long. I have better stuff to do.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Lost everyone I loved to the damn things.

My mother at 48
    My step mother at 50
    My Aunt at 60
    My Godmother at 58

All way too young
    The worst thing is my daughter 20 now smokes ( WHY ???? ) Why do young people that KNOW the consequences still smoke.
    Marketing and social pressures are intense! Fortunately, I was never popular and that made me largely immune to both.

My friend chewed.

They just sent him home to die, maybe one month left..

Im 65 next month, i have lost my family and friends to drink and smoke..

I gave up smoking when i was in my 30s or surely i would have met st peter at the golden gates.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Dexter Gordon

Bought the CD that has that photo about 2 months ago. Excellent musician.

I find the whole smoking thing so repellant (and have done since childhood) that I find it difficult even to look at these pictures. It never crossed my mind to try it. And having been plagued for much of my life by the impossibility of getting away from smokers, their fug and their detritus, I bless the day the smoking ban came into force (and the subsequent days as it was gradually extended) Few bits of legislation have improved the quality of my life so much and so directly as that.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Lost everyone I loved to the damn things.

My mother at 48
    My step mother at 50
    My Aunt at 60
    My Godmother at 58

All way too young
    The worst thing is my daughter 20 now smokes ( WHY ???? ) Why do young people that KNOW the consequences still smoke.
    My daughter smoked for a bit in her 20’s but stopped. A lot of folks in her generation who smoke dope mix it with tobacco. Why? No idea except it’s addictive. Caring for my mom in her last year of life with lung cancer wasn’t fun and deprived her of enjoying my kids beyond their first few years of life. Hopefully your daughter will let it go. Breathing is kinda important and there are a lot of nice things to smell out there.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    I find the whole smoking thing so repellant (and have done since childhood) that I find it difficult even to look at these pictures. It never crossed my mind to try it. And having been plagued for much of my life by the impossibility of getting away from smokers, their fug and their detritus, I bless the day the smoking ban came into force (and the subsequent days as it was gradually extended) Few bits of legislation have improved the quality of my life so much and so directly as that.
    I have to agree with much of what you say here. I was never a smoker. Apart from working alongside smokers in my 9 to 5 job I was also a semi-pro working musician. Evenings and weekends I spent a lot of time standing on an elevated stage with my head in a cloud of tobacco smoke. Sadly, the UK smoking in public places ban came into effect long after I had retired from gigging. It would be nice to give it another shot in a smoke free atmosphere.

I still think the photos are iconic, and I also think Jim is right..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Nothing is cool unless people think it is.
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter View Post
    Bought the CD that has that photo about 2 months ago. Excellent musician.

My favorite saxophonist.

And to me not smoking and not getting tattoos is pretty damn cool, and remarkably rare.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    ... Sadly, the UK smoking in public places ban came into effect long after I had retired from gigging. It would be nice to give it another shot in a smoke free atmosphere.

t..
    I don't gig any more, but the sprog does, the thing the smoke did well was to mask the smell of the hot sweaty crowd.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I don't gig any more, but the sprog does, the thing the smoke did well was to mask the smell of the hot sweaty crowd.
    At least hot sweaty crowd smell doesn't have quite the same ability to cling to your clothes and hair as tobacco smoke. I think, anyway. I have always avoided hot, sweaty crowds with nearly as much determination as I did smoky ones. I don't think I've ever been to a gig.

George Harrison. Ask him what he died from

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I see this post as I sit in a great little coffee shop on the Beaufort River. If not for smoking my dad would be sitting next to me enjoying the view as well. He’d have loved it here.

There is nothing cool about smoking. It is a stupid, filthy, disgusting habit. The images above sicken me.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

. I don't think I've ever been to a gig.
    One for the bucket list?

I'm sure that, as a group, we can find you something suitable.

Smoking was and is always terrible in my view. I never was a smoker.

Both parents smoked. One smoked Benson & Hedges and the other 555 State Express. Grandfather smoked Players (came in a tin).

My throat 'clamps shut' whenever I smell cigarette smoke.
    I was a second hand smoker for a couple years.
    Was in a on site cabin office in London with one chap that always had a cigarette burning.
    Came in one day and cleaned the windows. The tar etc that came off the inside of the pane was horrendous. Made the site cabin office a lot lighter, unsurprisingly.
    My clothes (a suit) always stank of cigarette smoke. I tried to 'air' it over night, but to no avail. Pubs were disgusting then, now smoke free thankfully.

Cigar and pipe smoke doesn't seem as bad as cigarette smoke, although I'd rather breathe fresh clean air.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

One for the bucket list?

I'm sure that, as a group, we can find you something suitable.
    That sounds like the exhortations of a friend of mine who loves soccer and insists I would too if only I would go to a match. She recommends a "local derby" - Norwich versus Ipswich. But I ha'e ma doots. I have never enjoyed crowds or managed to get caught up the magic of fandom.

But if it was a live "Transatlantic Sessions" thing, well - you never know. There's nothing like live music if you actually like the music.

I was present at the famous performance of Dvorak's cello concerto just after the Soviet tanks rolled into Prague - the one in which Jacqueline Du Pre broke a string (such was her passion) and everybody stood up and roared with excitement and approval afterwards. Does that count as a gig? (I don't think anyone was smoking, or even sweating that much)
    Last edited by downthecreek; 03-14-2018 at 08:25 AM.

That sounds like the exhortations of a friend of mine who loves soccer and insists I would too if only I would go to a match. She recommends a "local derby" - Norwich versus Ipswich. But I ha'e ma doots. I have never enjoyed crowds or managed to get caught up the magic of fandom.

But if it was a live "Transatlantic Sessions" thing, well - you never know. There's nothing like live music if you actually like the music.

I was present at the famous performance of Dvorak's cello concerto just after the Soviet tanks rolled into Prague - the one in which Jacqueline Du Pres broke a string (such was her passion) and everybody stood up and roared with excitement and approval afterwards. Does that count as a gig?
    That would count as a gig, at least to the musicians playing.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    That would count as a gig, at least to the musicians playing.
    Good. So that can come off the bucket list!

I've no formal definition of "gig" but as an informal one, how about
    The musicians aren't making a living doing this?

If the transatlantic sessions are your bag, there are usually informal versions to be found near Innerleithen.

https://innerleithenmusicfestival.org

Urban Dictionary: gig
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gig
    A live performance, either musical, theatrical, or physical.
    Tom

I've no formal definition of "gig" but as an informal one, how about
    The musicians aren't making a living doing this?

If the transatlantic sessions are your bag, there are usually informal versions to be found near Innerleithen.

I'd take issue with that definition. Plenty of full time musicians refer to their work as gigging. If I'm working a gig, I'm getting paid.
    Urban Dictionary: gig
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gig
    A live performance, either musical, theatrical, or physical.
    Tom

Looks good. Sadly, I am not near Innerleithen (although I used to be when I lived in Auld Reekie) And I have no immediate plans to be in Scotland in the foreseeable future, nice though it would be. Life is too full of stuff.

Long, long ago I used to go to a pub in Islington where George Melly and the Feetwarmers played on Sundays. They weren't paid for that, except by way of pint glasses being passed around among the crowd for whatever people wanted to contribute. Perhaps that was a gig. Seems to fit both definitions quite well.
    Last edited by downthecreek; 03-14-2018 at 08:58 AM.

I worry i may get cancer from years of doing hot tar, it used to be in my skin for days after a job.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    George Harrison.

Ahhhh... no?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    My friend chewed.

They just sent him home to die, maybe one month left..

Im 65 next month, i have lost my family and friends to drink and smoke..

I gave up smoking when i was in my 30s or surely i would have met st peter at the golden gates.
    Hard way to go, "thoughts and prayers" go out to him.

Just lost a friend of mine, a roofer as well.

Died of shingles.

This, exactly.

I think my mother inadvertently turned me off smoking as a child. We kids would be riding in the back seat of the car, she'd flick ash off her cigarette out the open drivers side window, and the ash would be immediately sucked into the rear window and engulf us. Disgusting indeed. Her dying of lung cancer, way too young, turned me into a militant non-smoker. Fortunately with changes in laws, my militancy is way more relaxed than it used to be.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I think my mother inadvertently turned me off smoking as a child.
    Jeff
    Me too, my mother and friends played bridge one afternoon a week, they all smoked, the atmosphere was unbelievable. Fortunately they rotated the venue so only once every 4 weeks in our house but it was enough to put me off.
    Luckily there was no peer pressure, I can not recall anyone in my form that smoked.

Further reason to give up or not start
    To quote from an item in a paper today
    ".. our study provides strong evidence that smoking is an independent risk factor of hearing loss".

My siblings and I have said for years that we were raised on mother's milk and cigarette smoke. Mom smoked at least a pack a day for fifty years. She died at age 79 from complication due to Alzheimer's, having forgotten that she smoked five or six years earlier.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...127-story.html
    At least four Marlboro Men have died of smoking-related diseases

www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-marlboro-men-20140127-story.html

Jan 27, 2014 - In one of the 20th century's most famous ad campaigns, which began in the 1950s, he was a rugged but handsome man who did the jobs that needed to be done, ... Today, the reality about the Marlboro Man is darker: At least four actors who have played him in ads have died of smoking-related diseases.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Hard way to go, "thoughts and prayers" go out to him.

Just lost a friend of mine, a roofer as well.

Died of shingles.

I fail to see the humor...

Do you feel better mocking with the ...thoughts and prayers.?.

Time and place.....

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I see this post as I sit in a great little coffee shop on the Beaufort River. If not for smoking my dad would be sitting next to me enjoying the view as well. He’d have loved it here.

There is nothing cool about smoking. It is a stupid, filthy, disgusting habit. The images above sicken me.
    Yep. My parents made it to age 77 and 78 and it wasn't smoking that got them (bowel cancer and stroke)- although who knows how much Dad's smoking contributed?

My girlfriend smokes.... and she knows it's not good for her. I told her I gave up smoking at 19, when I discovered that it was stunting my growth.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

I fail to see the humor...

Do you feel better mocking with the ...thoughts and prayers.?.

Time and place.....
    Naah... Shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella
    George Harrison. Ask him what he died from

John Lennon, actually. Died of gunshots. But that is another thread.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.
    Trump is doing beautifully.