Thread: 'Extinct' apple varieties rediscovered

Default 'Extinct' apple varieties rediscovered

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: 'Extinct' apple varieties rediscovered

Cool, but I am surprised they feel they can identify the type specifically.

Fedco is a great seed, plant, and tree supplier they also sponsor a big Scion swap to help keep these old apples alive and well.

cool

where can i get me a republican pippin tree?

Although shiny and bright on the outside, they are incredibly sour, you wouldn't like it.

Not sure if it's Republican and your to late for this year but next year perhaps

https://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/?item=129

Johnny Appleseed was said to have traversed where I grew up in Ohio. A combination of mythic and real, he's a bit hard to grasp historically. Maybe one of the original hippies? Clearly eccentric.Gotta love it.

https://youtu.be/iDw88ijgdOo

Every fall, a large local nursery hosts an 'apple tasting' event. Tons of varieties (most of which they sell, of course), and a fun time. I try not to miss it. And more diverse orchards are being planted around here - including some heirloom varieties. It's nice to see more choices finding their way onto the shelves, and fun to indulge in.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    Johnny Appleseed was said to have traversed where I grew up in Ohio. A combination of mythic and real, he's a bit hard to grasp historically. Maybe one of the original hippies? Clearly eccentric.Gotta love it.

https://youtu.be/iDw88ijgdOo
    Naw, he was just a homeless drunk.
    Apples in his era were for making cider, a cheap alcoholic beverage everyone drank it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Naw, he was just a homeless drunk.
    Apples in his era were for making cider, a cheap alcoholic beverage everyone drank it.

Not at all. Hard working business man. Under the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 opened up the Northwest Territories — land we got from England as part of the 1783 Treaty of Paris that ended the recent unpleasantness with England — to settlement (never mind the people who lived there, but I digress).

So you could move out their and prove a homestead of 160 acres. Among other things, to prove your claim, you had to build a house, reside on and work the land for something like 7 years. And... to show intent to stay, you had to establish an orchard, reason being that it took several years of work before you got anything out of it. And, the settlers wanted their [hard] cider.

[might be a bit fuzzy on the details. It's been a long time since I had to learn that stuff in the Cincinnati public schools]

John Chapman — Johnny Appleseed — was a seedsman and orchardman from Pennsylvania. Had a nursery there. He saw the demand for Apple seedlings, so he filled it, bringing loads of seedlings to the Northwest Territories to sell to the settlers.

Not crazy in the least. Just old-fashioned American entrepreneurial spirit.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

We've been thinking about planting another tree. Somewhere. We're kinda tight on space at this point. But here's the list of availables. I'm thinking maybe Empire, or Liberty. I think my sweetie will lobby for something tarter. Anyone have experience/opinions?

https://portlandnursery.com/docs/fruits/Apples.pdf
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I've often wondered about the Johnny Appleseed story.

Apple trees can be grown from seed. The question is why would you want to do so?

Apples do not reproduce true to type, meaning that the tree from the seed will produce apples that are almost certain to be different than the parent.

Most apple varieties are self-unfruitful, which means their blossoms must be fertilized with the pollen of a separate variety in order to achieve good fruit set. The fruit produced will be the same as the parent tree, but the seeds will be a cross between the two varieties.

Also, almost all varieties are unable to pollinate themselves. They rely on insects like bees to transfer pollen. Unless you pollinate the tree yourself by hand, there is no way to know who the other parent variety is.

There's a very good chance the apples won't even be edible. Many apple trees are pollinated by crabapples, which are usually small and inedible. Also, while it might be edible, that doesn't mean it will taste great. The chances of getting a truly tasty apple are very small.

Apple trees from seed take longer to produce fruit. It usually takes about 7-10 years before one can even tell if one is lucky and has good fruit.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Johnny Appleseed, from the Smithsonian...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...ier-180953263/

Johnny Appleseed planted from seed, specifically for cider. They would not have been edible for eating. He slept outside most of the time, moving into the wilderness several years ahead of the settlers, so he would have saplings to sell them. More like a hermit than a hippie. It is believed that he started millions of trees, and some of the edible varieties we have almost certainly were new varieties from his seeds.

These are the facts as I remember them.