Thread: Chris Craft Holiday 1961. 461 H, Water i oil

Default Chris Craft Holiday 1961. 461 H, Water i oil

Hi there, i have been renovating my CC Holiday for some years now, i do have a problem;

I drives perfect in the engine, its all done, but after 1-2 hours there is 1 cup of 100% clear water in the oil !!!!

The engine is completely renovated, the manifolds are reconditioned, all gaskets are new.

What the f... do i do wrong or , what can / is wrong, Yeah sorry , but it's killing me, 3 different mechanics have tried, no succes !
    chris craft.jpg

chris craft motor.jpg

I kindly ask off help.

Kind regards Henrik, Denmark

Default Re: Chris Craft Holiday 1961. 461 H, Water i oil

Old picture off engine,m it looks much better now, but to show what engine i have ! ;o)

Henrik

How do you know how much...? are you draining the oil every 1 to 2 hours? surely not... how frequently is it run, and how long between runs....could be condensation ? but 250cm3 of water isn't a massive amount in a big V8... but enough to suggest its coolant getting in somewhere...after the rebuild did you retorque the head bolts? leaky head gasket would be the first choice,even on just one cylinder, and you wouldn't necessarily notice tht cylinder playing up like on a twin or four...

lovely boat, incidentally
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

How do you know how much...?
    I have drained it because of the problem, tried 3 times ;o(
    are you draining the oil every 1 to 2 hours? surely not... how frequently is it run, not offen,

1 week so and so !and how long between runs....could be condensation ?
    i have thought about it, could it be ?

but 250cm3 of water isn't a massive amount in a big V8... but enough to suggest its coolant getting in somewhere...after the rebuild did you retorque the head bolts?
    Yes i did !
    leaky head gasket would be the first choice,even on just one cylinder, and you wouldn't necessarily notice tht cylinder playing up like on a twin or four...

hmmm, will check again, thank you very much for input, and getting me back on track !

What make is that engine?
    A common problem on American V-8's is a coolant leak at the intake manifold to cylinder head connection. This will go directly into the oil reservoir.
    An oil cooler can can also be a culprit.

A 10-15 psi pressure test can rule out most of these easily enough. Unfortunately for the block and heads to be tested they may have to be removed and islolated. I have pressure tested assembled engines with the oil pan off to pinpoint leaks. I have also made "block off" plates, bolted them to head or block, pressurized with air (100 psi) and submerged them. This is usually guaranteed success, but often the result is not a desired outcome.

Nice looking boat!

HI, The engine is a ( rare) MEL 431 H. the org. for that boat !
    Theres is no connection with water and oil on this type of intake manifold ;o(

Oil Cooler, i will try that !!!

I do not hope that i have to take it out and apart, again ;o(.

We have made a test with hi pressure on the oil pumpe, and it's not "that way", and the pressure is perfect.

I have drained it again, and filled coolant in instead, i will test drive the engine again, and see if there is anything in the oil.

Thinking about the condensation if there really were that much !?!

Its a 431 H, not 461 dooo.

printer11248.jpg

I suspected MEL, a sweet engine. They are not so rare here, (one, heavily modified recently won an "engine masters compititon http://www.hotrod.com/articles/photo...ng-mel-engine/ I am an Ford 427 FE fan)
    There is a forum member, Peter Malcomb Jardine that is very familiar with these engines. He has been scarce of late but hopefully he will join in here.
    Oil cooler is only a remote possibility, if you have one. What little I can find indicates two coolers, one for the transmision and one for the engine. Usually a defective oil cooler will put oil into the cooling system, not coolant in the oil system. You need to look at where pressurized coolant can enter the sump or combustion chamber. Careful inspection of the spark plugs may indicate an especially "clean" one, indicating steam in the combustion chamber.
    I did see a note refering to "oil drain tubes" running through the water jacket...
    Best of luck...

Hmmm, the spark plugs looked good.

Its a pretty simpel engine, so why can it not be a simple problem ;o)

I will check up on it thursday, thanks for your response, all of you !