Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: thank god for hippie chicks

Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I am so offended that someone has used the pejorative "dude." How ever shall I go on?
    Go with the flow, Dude.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Just gotta say:

Hippy is someone with large hips

Hippie is someone connected to the counter-culture.
    But, but...

hip·py1
    ˈhipē/
    noun & adjective

• variant spelling of hippie.

"Although the word hippies made other isolated appearances in print during the early 1960s, the first use of the term on the West Coast appeared in the article "A New Paradise for Beatniks" (in the San Francisco Examiner, issue of September 5, 1965) by San Francisco journalist Michael Fallon. In that article, Fallon wrote about the Blue Unicorn Cafe (coffeehouse) (located at 1927 Hayes Street in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco), using the term hippie to refer to the new generation of beatniks who had moved from North Beach into the Haight-Ashbury district.[18][19] New York Times editor and usage writer Theodore M. Bernstein said the paper changed the spelling from hippy to hippie to avoid the ambiguous description of clothing as hippy fashions"

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

Just gotta say:

Hippy is someone with large hips

Hippie is someone connected to the counter-culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    But, but...

hip·py1
    ˈhipē/
    noun & adjective

• variant spelling of hippie.

"Although the word hippies made other isolated appearances in print during the early 1960s, the first use of the term on the West Coast appeared in the article "A New Paradise for Beatniks" (in the San Francisco Examiner, issue of September 5, 1965) by San Francisco journalist Michael Fallon. In that article, Fallon wrote about the Blue Unicorn Cafe (coffeehouse) (located at 1927 Hayes Street in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco), using the term hippie to refer to the new generation of beatniks who had moved from North Beach into the Haight-Ashbury district.[18][19] New York Times editor and usage writer Theodore M. Bernstein said the paper changed the spelling from hippy to hippie to avoid the ambiguous description of clothing as hippy fashions"
    Any definitive word on what being pedantic does to one's hips? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

halter top paisely print summer dress, yeah, I’m trippin’

I always thought Grace Slick was the quintessential hippie chick. Not only that, she survived the period, and is now pushing 80 with all her faculties intact. Amazing what the human brain can withstand, innit?

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I am fascinated by her dreds (the young lady in the OP). That has got to be heavy to tote around.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I always thought Grace Slick was the quintessential hippie chick. Not only that, she survived the period, and is now pushing 80 with all her faculties intact. Amazing what the human brain can withstand, innit?

She is a warrior, but I don't like the idea that she was doing acid while pregnant. Not cool.

Mickey Lake

Indeed. OTOH, her daughter turned out OK; obviously very resilient genes.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Thank god for those who self-identify as "hippie chicks" without quibbling over the politics of the label.

I've known a few, they are truly special people.
    I've a good friend who describes herself that way. She's proud of the label.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

some members refer to you as "she"

You noticed.

Surely then you also notice their sexist obliviousness, in perceiving that I would be insulted by a purposeful misgendering. That is, knowing that I am a man, they perceive that I should be insulted to be referred to as a woman.

To do so sheds a great deal more light onto to their sexist worldview than it says anything about me. And so I submit to you, your "progressives."

It also reveals why the content I've added to this thread is in fact necessary and edifying. These blokes are blind to their own chauvinism.

Our "president" is paying off hookers for their silence & someone is worried about the phrase "hippie chicks".

Maybe he's got stock in a patchouli company?
    what did you think "Me Too" was so popular among liberals because they care? of course not... the President is the precise reason ME TOO has gained any celebrity support, they think they can do what Hillary failed to do, turn the next election into a little miss manners contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    You noticed.

Surely then you also notice their sexist obliviousness, in perceiving that I would be insulted by a purposeful misgendering. That is, knowing that I am a man, they perceive that I should be insulted to be referred to as a woman.

To do so sheds a great deal more light onto to their sexist worldview than it says anything about me. And so I submit to you, your "progressives."

It also reveals why the content I've added to this thread is in fact necessary and edifying. These blokes are blind to their own chauvinism.
    I don't suppose this will surprise anyone here... but you are truly an idjit.

'... knowing that I am a man'. I know nothing of the sort. What would inspire you to make such obviously incorrect assertion? I call you 'she' because that's how I perceive you. If you want to be referred to otherwise... feel free to make the request. Directly. Without the sniveling and lying and unfounded allegations.

And that's just ONE example.

Pfffft... back on ignore you go.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    She is a warrior, but I don't like the idea that she was doing acid while pregnant. Not cool.

Mickey Lake
    Mmm, acid doesn't do what (most? many?) non users think it does.. I'd even go so far as to say it was (can be) beneficial. 'Bad trips' are the result of the users head-space, not (just) the acid. Grace's head-space was cool.

just sayin'..

i don't mind hippies. they're nice. but the lifestyle in general can be kind of gross. if you haven't bathed in days and reek of various smokes, oils, and body odor... it doesn't matter how nice you are i'm not having anything other than a phone conversation with you.

A flash from the past that's worth a look. Grace and the Airplane on the Smothers Brothers.

https://youtu.be/hnP72uUt_pU

"Little Miss Manners"? We should never concede to having good manners.
    "Manners" are not important these days.

Rape, pillage, and pervert is the norm for the party of "family values".

Parsing "family values" today seems to lead us to misogynism, wife beating, rape, sexual predators, and etc.

"At least 16 women have accused Donald Trumpof varying inappropriate behavior, including allegations of sexual harassment or sexual assault, all coming forward with their accusations before or during his bid for the White House".

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i don't mind hippies. they're nice. but the lifestyle in general can be kind of gross. if you haven't bathed in days and reek of various smokes, oils, and body odor... it doesn't matter how nice you are i'm not having anything other than a phone conversation with you.
    I'd ID you as a cheeseball marketer, and hang up immediately.

When I was a hippie, we all used to go down to the creek and skinny dip on a regular basis. Before the orgies.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    I gather for the most part they've stopped doing that. Hard to get jobs as baristas that way.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

"Little Miss Manners"? We should never concede to having good manners.
    "Manners" are not important these days.

Rape, pillage, and pervert is the norm for the party of "family values".

Parsing "family values" today seems to lead us to misogynism, wife beating, rape, sexual predators, and etc.

"At least 16 women have accused Donald Trumpof varying inappropriate behavior, including allegations of sexual harassment or sexual assault, all coming forward with their accusations before or during his bid for the White House".

did you know that in San Francisco individuals in the country Illegally and arrested for Assault can not leagally be reported to ICE by local law enforcement

Assault? No Problem for sanctuary city liberals... so why should any one care?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    I'd ID you as a cheeseball marketer, and hang up immediately.

When I was a hippie, we all used to go down to the creek and skinny dip on a regular basis. Before the orgies.
    \

That whole 'largely ignorant, and largely unaware of it' thing keeps cropping up with certain folks.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I am fascinated by her dreds (the young lady in the OP). That has got to be heavy to tote around.

Mickey Lake
    Dreads weigh no more than hair.
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

I never did acid and don't know anyone personally who did. Marijuana, a little hash, and a lot of beer were the things floating around my buddies and I back in the day. That all stopped when I married my wife (who is a former FBI agent and would never have done anything illegal like that), except the beer, and that pretty much came to a halt when we started having kids. I still drink a couple every so often as long as I can do it and drive, or if I don't have to drive, a few more.

Seems like the big thing around Mobile in those days was heroin, and I never did it. But the music that generation produced? Awesome, man. Just awesome, some of that stuff, and of course, I am still locked into the stuff from around 1972. I guess it truly does stick with you, the stuff that was happening when you first became aware of it all, and in 1972 I was 14 years old and trying to make sense of everything.

How can the music from the early 70's be so good when the cars they built were crap, the houses built then have mostly fallen down, and the clothes? 'Whew' on the clothes. Maybe a lot more people were doing acid than were willing to admit it?

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Dreads weigh no more than hair.
    They look very......'dense' is the word.

When I was a lad I had a full beard and hair halfway down my back and never thought anything of it. Then one day the wife of a friend of mine told me that she thought I was cute, but that all she saw when she looked at me was hair. I had never given it a bit of thought, but after that started getting my hair cut more than once a year.

Mickey Lake

You used to care a whole lot, SB, about concealing your gender. Struck me as odd, as it does when others do it too. You may notice that I've never written a post directed at you which uses a pronoun, as it was never clear which to use. Seems I missed your big reveal.

What pronoun would you now prefer I used?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

They look very......'dense' is the word.

When I was a lad I had a full beard and hair halfway down my back and never thought anything of it. Then one day the wife of a friend of mine told me that she thought I was cute, but that all she saw when she looked at me was hair. I had never given it a bit of thought, but after that started getting my hair cut more than once a year.

Mickey Lake
    Yep - haircut once a year followed by the annual shower.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    did you know that in San Francisco individuals in the country Illegally and arrested for Assault can not leagally be reported to ICE by local law enforcement

Assault? No Problem for sanctuary city liberals... so why should any one care?
    Yes, and that is a good thing - for anyone could charge even you Daniel with assault.
    Note that "arrested for assault" is not the same or even close to convicted of assault. But hey, if you can skip the due process and eliminate someone you don't like, Why Not?

There are no words. Well maybe, Ritalin...

"assault: a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension"

How can the music from the early 70's be so good when the cars they built were crap, the houses built then have mostly fallen down...

Mickey Lake
    I think you have just questioned the significant difference between Liberals, and Conservatives.
    "Take the money and run"

My observation has been the richer the parents the more hippyish the .....chick....

I sound like sinitra or sammy davis with the.....chick.....word.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    My observation has been...

I sound like sinitra or sammy davis....
    Or perhaps just "Alvin"!

I think you have just questioned the significant difference between Liberals, and Conservatives.
    "Take the money and run"
    No - that was later Steve Miller.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I was gently reprimanded by a woman whom I like a lot and respect, for referring to the women who compete at the Highland Games as "chicks". I asked around, and while most of the women I asked told me that they wouldn't get all pissed off at it, the term was pretty passe and somewhat derogatory, now.

So I stopped using it. The thing is, I'm responsible for what *I* do.... not what other people do.

Mickey Lake
    There’s a great video on her YouTube Channel where she cuts the dreads off.

Is Teds gal a Hoppey hippy hippie?

Perhaps we will never know.