Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 210 of 276

Thread: thank god for hippie chicks

  1. #176
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northern California Mountains
    Posts
    11,756

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Why do you pretend to care, when you obviously don't?

    Poser.
    My standing on the issue shouldn't matter; it's either OK to use the word or it isn't. Moreover, I don't hold myself out as a progressive. I suggest that if folks believed I was a woman and was hitting you like this, virtually all of you would have gone quiet long ago. None of you would have dug in like this, quietly playing at entitlement or license.

    True?

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sequim, Washington
    Posts
    5,328

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    SB doesn't have an interest in any of the topics he wanders into, he just loves shoveling the $hit that annoys and irritates others, most especially lefties.

    I'm guess not liberal enough to be angered by the SB gig. You say up he says down, and he does know the difference....but a troll he is.
    As I said before...
    PaulF

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northern California Mountains
    Posts
    11,756

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    It's entertainment. In the end, no one has all the right answers. Just more questions. Several of you are up very late at night, hanging in for it, so it must be better than the movie.

    What do my personal values and beliefs have to do with it, though? Do you suggest I'm somehow going into that room, referring to women as "chicks?" That I'd think that'd be OK?
    Last edited by Sky Blue; 03-14-2018 at 12:06 AM.

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    17,174

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    My standing on the issue shouldn't matter; it's either OK to use the word or it isn't. True?
    Not true. It depends on who is using the word, and the context.

    Ever listen to hip-hop?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northern California Mountains
    Posts
    11,756

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Not true. It depends on who is using the word, and the context.

    Ever listen to hip-hop?
    There are no hard and fast rules, as things are ever evolving. Your response to my remark is a non-sequitur.

    Lately I've been following cloud rap.

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    46,637

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    As I said before...
    Ayup... I got sucked in for a moment. But I put her back on ignore.

    Don't make my mistake -- Don't Feed The Troll
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    17,174

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post

    a) . . . it's either OK to use the word or it isn't.

    b) There are no hard and fast rules, as things are ever evolving.
    You don't even pay attention to yourself.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jerome, Aridzonia Apu Mingus
    Posts
    6,118

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Please don't quote the troll, they multiply.

    Jay Blakesberg
    has a book Hippie Chicks





    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108


    "Trump and Cohen are the kids that murdered their parents, and now plead for mercy from the court because they're traumatized orphans."

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    n.c. tn
    Posts
    6,107

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    ^ I remember fields like that.. but there weren't so many clothes!

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jerome, Aridzonia Apu Mingus
    Posts
    6,118

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Ha! I was in the wrong place!
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108


    "Trump and Cohen are the kids that murdered their parents, and now plead for mercy from the court because they're traumatized orphans."

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Port of Lorain,Ohio
    Posts
    15,250

    Cool Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    17,174

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Who was hipper than Grace Slick?

    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    10,282

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Who was hipper than Grace Slick?

    Michelle Phillips, Jane Fonda or even Cher could get the nod or honorable mention...
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East coast of England
    Posts
    3,828

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    You bet! Women can read right through the "intent" of a comment.
    That's absolutely right. Not just women either.

    And some of us who are actually very serious about gender inequality are also wise enough to know not to sweat the small stuff.

    Women this....women that....men this.....men that..... Generalisations have their place, but they also have no place in some situations, especially when they are just being used as a weapon. That just results in raised shields. And that's the result SB, whose raison d'etre as a poster seems to be the relentless exercise of malice, is now crowing over.
    Last edited by downthecreek; 03-14-2018 at 02:40 AM.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    3,033

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Henceforth, "hippie chicks" shall be referred to as "female alternative lifestyle advocates". This rolls easily off the tongue, and is pleasingly evocative of the 60's counter culture, from whence the original offensive term originated.

    Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    19,939

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    I owe my life to a female alternative lifestyle advocate...
    No question about it. Against all odds I was headed for a bad ending. My sister even wrote and thanked her.

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    48,758

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Claire was second generation hippy, her dad went alternative after the Burma Railway before the term was coined. Claire got arrested, twice, for wearing a long lace shift. Clair was a psychiatric nurse because she thought she might make a difference like her dad tried to do. Clair was an independent woman, grew pot and happily called herself a hippy. Claire died last year way too early but psychiatric nursing gets you knocked about.
    Vale Claire

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,932

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Notice how Sacre Bleu keeps on putting words in our mouths & then calling us out on them?

    SB - that sort of thing works fine with Trump supporters, but not on anyone brighter than that.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    55,469

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    (Highly offensive pic removed)

    I'm not a bloke, you tosser.

    What do you know about hippies? Or for that matter, women?

    How old were you in 1970?
    Hey Chip... some friendly advice. I got a three month ban for posting a pic that was similar, but far less offensive than that. Hell... the handsome guy in the pic I posted was even smiling.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    16,715

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    it's either OK to use the word or it isn't
    You really don't get it. The arbiter of whether it is OK is the person to whom it is applied. Nobody else's opinion, including yours, matters. If your opinion mattered more it might be interesting to speculate on why you seem incapable of understanding this, but frankly, you don't interest me that much.

    What are you doing about it?




  21. #196
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    48,853

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Who was hipper than Grace Slick?
    Nobody ever. See #77. She was the siren of most of my adolescence, although fortunately I was too young to imitate her much; might have done myself significant damage. I was just listening to Blows Against the Empire and Sunfighter while laying the wood floor. Either drug-addled pretentiousness or a kind of visionary nobility, or maybe some of both; take your pick.

    SB is being silly at best, pathetic at worse. Perhaps it would clarify things to point out that 'hippychick' is a single expression, since 'chick' was a common enough bit of slang around 1967, now as outdated as it's possible for a word to be. Or maybe not, since SB just wants to argue.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-14-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    23,338

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Don't Bogart that joint, man!

    Grace was a fine apparition. I'd forgotten how pretty she was!
    So many questions, so little time.

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,478

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Sorry, folks, but I honestly think that hippies and hippie chicks were a cosmic joke that they played on themselves.

    I don't think the conservative right at the time was any more correct. In fact, it was far less correct. I just never bought into any of it.

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    23,338

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Hippie chicks, like all of us, were the stars yearning to know themselves.
    So many questions, so little time.

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    This thread is awesome.

    I dated a SoCal hippie chick for a couple years, and she called herself a hippie chick too.

    Now I'm dating a doctor who doesn't mind being called a cute chick.

    I think it's in the delivery.
    i agree it’s in the delivery, but sometimes also it’s the person who’s talking that matters. This is probably why SB got criticized for using the term.

    Ralphie

  26. #201
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    48,853

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Y’know, thinking about it some more, I have a plausible idea about what SB is doing here, in addition to merely picking a fight for amusemnt.

    Historically, people have often used slang terms for members of groups; nationalities, races, ethnicities, and of course men and women. These are rarely complimentary, sometimes neutral, more often derogatory; examples will come readily to mind. They’re a way to identify one’s tribe, to distinguish ‘us’ from ‘them’. They’re also more commonly (but not always) used by powerful and socially prestigious groups to refer to those with less power, and by majorities to refer to minorities. The opposite is rarer and usually not so harsh.

    In current US English, the number of slang terms for African-Americans is much larger than for whites, and they tend to be much more derogatory. The number of slang terms for homosexuals is much greater and more derogatory than those for heterosexuals, and even more so for women than for men. In fact, I’m hard put to think of any slang term for men in general, rather than particular kinds of men, that can’t also be used for a mixed group (‘you guys’), in the same way that ‘men’ up until fairly recently was the standard way to refer to ‘human beings’.

    The left makes an argument that one function of some of those words is to reinforce the social order, to keep subordinate groups in their place, and that one way to promote a more just and egalitarian world is to stop using them. This had some success; ‘n!gger’ is entirely off-limits (I can’t even get it past the forum software), and referring to women as ‘broads’ or ‘chicks’ is not a way to be well-thought-of. Now like any well-intentioned idea, it can be taken too far, applied stupidly, or applied inconsistently, and sometimes is. (Misogyny in rap music is a particularly problematic case, but that’s a can of worms I really don’t want to open here.) However, I think most of us would agree that using derogatory slang terms for groups of people should be discouraged.

    SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. Perhaps he want to be able to reinforce the current social order with the slang he uses; more likely he's just irritated and doesn't want to be told what to do and criticized for using certain words - but this is just guessing. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-14-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  27. #202
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    26,181

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    I love Sarah Palin, did i ever say that?.

    She is free and brezzy like the summer wind..

    And no mr baxter i dont know why she is not SOS..

    Prolly too HOT!

  28. #203
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sequim, Washington
    Posts
    5,328

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Y’know, thinking about it some more, I have a plausible idea about what SB is doing here, in addition to merely picking a fight for amusemnt.

    Historically, people have often used slang terms for members of groups; nationalities, races, ethnicities, and of course men and women. These are rarely complimentary, sometimes neutral, more often derogatory; examples will come readily to mind. They’re a way to identify one’s tribe, to distinguish ‘us’ from ‘them’. They’re also more commonly (but not always) used by powerful and socially prestigious groups to refer to those with less power, and by majorities to refer to minorities. The opposite is rarer and usually not so harsh.

    In current US English, the number of slang terms for African-Americans is much larger than for whites, and they tend to be much more derogatory. The number of slang terms for homosexuals is much greater and more derogatory than those for heterosexuals, and even more so for women than for men. In fact, I’m hard put to think of any slang term for men in general, rather than particular kinds of men, that can’t also be used for a mixed group (‘you guys’), in the same way that ‘men’ up until fairly recently was the standard way to refer to ‘human beings’.

    The left makes an argument that one function of some of those words is to reinforce the social order, to keep subordinate groups in their place, and that one way to promote a more just and egalitarian world is to stop using them. This had some success; ‘n!gger’ is entirely off-limits (I can’t even get it past the forum software), and referring to women as ‘broads’ or ‘chicks’ is not a way to be well-thought-of. Now like any well-intentioned idea, it can be taken too far, applied stupidly, or applied inconsistently, and sometimes is. (Misogyny in rap music is a particularly problematic case, but that’s a can of worms I really don’t want to open here.) However, I think most of us would agree that using derogatory slang terms for groups of people should be discouraged.

    SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.
    What I see SB doing is what we called in VIETNAM...H&I, that's where you determine routes and geographic areas that would be used by the opponent to move and position for attack. Then you bombard those areas at random with artillery and air bombardment to scramble their plans, pure form of harassment meant to put them off balance.
    PaulF

  29. #204
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    23,932

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Y’know, thinking about it some more, I have a plausible idea about what SB is doing here, in addition to merely picking a fight for amusemnt.

    Historically, people have often used slang terms for members of groups; nationalities, races, ethnicities, and of course men and women. These are rarely complimentary, sometimes neutral, more often derogatory; examples will come readily to mind. They’re a way to identify one’s tribe, to distinguish ‘us’ from ‘them’. They’re also more commonly (but not always) used by powerful and socially prestigious groups to refer to those with less power, and by majorities to refer to minorities. The opposite is rarer and usually not so harsh.

    In current US English, the number of slang terms for African-Americans is much larger than for whites, and they tend to be much more derogatory. The number of slang terms for homosexuals is much greater and more derogatory than those for heterosexuals, and even more so for women than for men. In fact, I’m hard put to think of any slang term for men in general, rather than particular kinds of men, that can’t also be used for a mixed group (‘you guys’), in the same way that ‘men’ up until fairly recently was the standard way to refer to ‘human beings’.

    The left makes an argument that one function of some of those words is to reinforce the social order, to keep subordinate groups in their place, and that one way to promote a more just and egalitarian world is to stop using them. This had some success; ‘n!gger’ is entirely off-limits (I can’t even get it past the forum software), and referring to women as ‘broads’ or ‘chicks’ is not a way to be well-thought-of. Now like any well-intentioned idea, it can be taken too far, applied stupidly, or applied inconsistently, and sometimes is. (Misogyny in rap music is a particularly problematic case, but that’s a can of worms I really don’t want to open here.) However, I think most of us would agree that using derogatory slang terms for groups of people should be discouraged.

    SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.
    You make great points Keith. I think, like any slang term, it depends on 1) who's saying it & 2) how it's said. Someone who's obviously been there using the term to someone else who's been there - with a smile - will most likely elicit a positive response. A person who obviously was never there or one using it in a derogatory way - totally different story.

    I'm guessing SB has used it in a derogatory way - or he obviously hasn't been there - or both.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  30. #205
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    30,016

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    I love my Hippy Chick





    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  31. #206
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Port Richey
    Posts
    11,963

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    My honey who was at Woodstock wears hippy chick as a badge of honour.
    Tom

    "Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

  32. #207
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    2,648

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Y’know, thinking about it some more, I have a plausible idea about what SB is doing here, in addition to merely picking a fight for amusemnt.

    Historically, people have often used slang terms for members of groups; nationalities, races, ethnicities, and of course men and women. These are rarely complimentary, sometimes neutral, more often derogatory; examples will come readily to mind. They’re a way to identify one’s tribe, to distinguish ‘us’ from ‘them’. They’re also more commonly (but not always) used by powerful and socially prestigious groups to refer to those with less power, and by majorities to refer to minorities. The opposite is rarer and usually not so harsh.

    In current US English, the number of slang terms for African-Americans is much larger than for whites, and they tend to be much more derogatory. The number of slang terms for homosexuals is much greater and more derogatory than those for heterosexuals, and even more so for women than for men. In fact, I’m hard put to think of any slang term for men in general, rather than particular kinds of men, that can’t also be used for a mixed group (‘you guys’), in the same way that ‘men’ up until fairly recently was the standard way to refer to ‘human beings’.

    The left makes an argument that one function of some of those words is to reinforce the social order, to keep subordinate groups in their place, and that one way to promote a more just and egalitarian world is to stop using them. This had some success; ‘n!gger’ is entirely off-limits (I can’t even get it past the forum software), and referring to women as ‘broads’ or ‘chicks’ is not a way to be well-thought-of. Now like any well-intentioned idea, it can be taken too far, applied stupidly, or applied inconsistently, and sometimes is. (Misogyny in rap music is a particularly problematic case, but that’s a can of worms I really don’t want to open here.) However, I think most of us would agree that using derogatory slang terms for groups of people should be discouraged.

    SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. Perhaps he want to be able to reinforce the current social order with the slang he uses; more likely he's just irritated and doesn't want to be told what to do and criticized for using certain words - but this is just guessing. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.

    i get what SB is saying. it's really just him(her?) holding a mirror up to the pc crowd so you can see how ridiculous these notions are. words only mean what you want them to mean. using "chick" doesn't make you sexist or misogynist unless you mean it to be. but if you go into a room of progressive feminists and call them "chicks", i don't care what intention you had... you're getting run out of there on a rail. and it's b/c they have a zero tolerance attitude. i don't like zero tolerance for anything. removing common decency and common sense from society makes for one dull and boring society.

  33. #208
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    27,949

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Never met a hippie chick who was offended by the term
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  34. #209
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    46,637

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Sorry, folks, but I honestly think that hippies and hippie chicks were a cosmic joke that they played on themselves.

    I don't think the conservative right at the time was any more correct. In fact, it was far less correct. I just never bought into any of it.
    Duuuude. I'm sincerely sorry you missed it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  35. #210
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    48,853

    Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

    but if you go into a room of progressive feminists and call them "chicks", i don't care what intention you had... you're getting run out of there on a rail.
    As well you should, if only for irremediable stupidity. You don't go into a bar full of black guys and call them n!ggers either, although an African-American guy might call his friends that.

    Words don't exist in isolation, and the choice of words has social effects. 'Common decency' means treating everyone with respect, and not using language that reinforces the unjustly subordinate position of a particular group. Of course, one can be stupid about it either way, and the left sometimes is pretty silly.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-14-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •