Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: thank god for hippie chicks

Default Re: thank god for hippie chicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Why do you pretend to care, when you obviously don't?

Poser.
    My standing on the issue shouldn't matter; it's either OK to use the word or it isn't. Moreover, I don't hold myself out as a progressive. I suggest that if folks believed I was a woman and was hitting you like this, virtually all of you would have gone quiet long ago. None of you would have dug in like this, quietly playing at entitlement or license.

True?

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    SB doesn't have an interest in any of the topics he wanders into, he just loves shoveling the $hit that annoys and irritates others, most especially lefties.

I'm guess not liberal enough to be angered by the SB gig. You say up he says down, and he does know the difference....but a troll he is.
    As I said before...
    PaulF

It's entertainment. In the end, no one has all the right answers. Just more questions. Several of you are up very late at night, hanging in for it, so it must be better than the movie.

What do my personal values and beliefs have to do with it, though? Do you suggest I'm somehow going into that room, referring to women as "chicks?" That I'd think that'd be OK?
    Last edited by Sky Blue; 03-14-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    My standing on the issue shouldn't matter; it's either OK to use the word or it isn't. True?
    Not true. It depends on who is using the word, and the context.

Ever listen to hip-hop?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Not true. It depends on who is using the word, and the context.

Ever listen to hip-hop?
    There are no hard and fast rules, as things are ever evolving. Your response to my remark is a non-sequitur.

Lately I've been following cloud rap.

As I said before...
    Ayup... I got sucked in for a moment. But I put her back on ignore.

Don't make my mistake -- Don't Feed The Troll
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

a) . . . it's either OK to use the word or it isn't.

b) There are no hard and fast rules, as things are ever evolving.
    You don't even pay attention to yourself.

Please don't quote the troll, they multiply.

Jay Blakesberg
    has a book Hippie Chicks

Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"Trump and Cohen are the kids that murdered their parents, and now plead for mercy from the court because they're traumatized orphans."

^ I remember fields like that.. but there weren't so many clothes!

Ha! I was in the wrong place!
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"Trump and Cohen are the kids that murdered their parents, and now plead for mercy from the court because they're traumatized orphans."

Cool Re: thank god for hippie chicks

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Who was hipper than Grace Slick?

Michelle Phillips, Jane Fonda or even Cher could get the nod or honorable mention...
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

You bet! Women can read right through the "intent" of a comment.
    That's absolutely right. Not just women either.

And some of us who are actually very serious about gender inequality are also wise enough to know not to sweat the small stuff.

Women this....women that....men this.....men that..... Generalisations have their place, but they also have no place in some situations, especially when they are just being used as a weapon. That just results in raised shields. And that's the result SB, whose raison d'etre as a poster seems to be the relentless exercise of malice, is now crowing over.
    Last edited by downthecreek; 03-14-2018 at 02:40 AM.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Henceforth, "hippie chicks" shall be referred to as "female alternative lifestyle advocates". This rolls easily off the tongue, and is pleasingly evocative of the 60's counter culture, from whence the original offensive term originated.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I owe my life to a female alternative lifestyle advocate...
    No question about it. Against all odds I was headed for a bad ending. My sister even wrote and thanked her.

Claire was second generation hippy, her dad went alternative after the Burma Railway before the term was coined. Claire got arrested, twice, for wearing a long lace shift. Clair was a psychiatric nurse because she thought she might make a difference like her dad tried to do. Clair was an independent woman, grew pot and happily called herself a hippy. Claire died last year way too early but psychiatric nursing gets you knocked about.
    Vale Claire

Notice how Sacre Bleu keeps on putting words in our mouths & then calling us out on them?

SB - that sort of thing works fine with Trump supporters, but not on anyone brighter than that.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

(Highly offensive pic removed)

I'm not a bloke, you tosser.

What do you know about hippies? Or for that matter, women?

How old were you in 1970?
    Hey Chip... some friendly advice. I got a three month ban for posting a pic that was similar, but far less offensive than that. Hell... the handsome guy in the pic I posted was even smiling.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

it's either OK to use the word or it isn't
    You really don't get it. The arbiter of whether it is OK is the person to whom it is applied. Nobody else's opinion, including yours, matters. If your opinion mattered more it might be interesting to speculate on why you seem incapable of understanding this, but frankly, you don't interest me that much.

What are you doing about it?

Nobody ever. See #77. She was the siren of most of my adolescence, although fortunately I was too young to imitate her much; might have done myself significant damage. I was just listening to Blows Against the Empire and Sunfighter while laying the wood floor. Either drug-addled pretentiousness or a kind of visionary nobility, or maybe some of both; take your pick.

SB is being silly at best, pathetic at worse. Perhaps it would clarify things to point out that 'hippychick' is a single expression, since 'chick' was a common enough bit of slang around 1967, now as outdated as it's possible for a word to be. Or maybe not, since SB just wants to argue.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-14-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Don't Bogart that joint, man!

Grace was a fine apparition. I'd forgotten how pretty she was!
    So many questions, so little time.

Sorry, folks, but I honestly think that hippies and hippie chicks were a cosmic joke that they played on themselves.

I don't think the conservative right at the time was any more correct. In fact, it was far less correct. I just never bought into any of it.

Hippie chicks, like all of us, were the stars yearning to know themselves.
    So many questions, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    This thread is awesome.

I dated a SoCal hippie chick for a couple years, and she called herself a hippie chick too.

Now I'm dating a doctor who doesn't mind being called a cute chick.

I think it's in the delivery.
    i agree it’s in the delivery, but sometimes also it’s the person who’s talking that matters. This is probably why SB got criticized for using the term.

Ralphie

Y’know, thinking about it some more, I have a plausible idea about what SB is doing here, in addition to merely picking a fight for amusemnt.

Historically, people have often used slang terms for members of groups; nationalities, races, ethnicities, and of course men and women. These are rarely complimentary, sometimes neutral, more often derogatory; examples will come readily to mind. They’re a way to identify one’s tribe, to distinguish ‘us’ from ‘them’. They’re also more commonly (but not always) used by powerful and socially prestigious groups to refer to those with less power, and by majorities to refer to minorities. The opposite is rarer and usually not so harsh.

In current US English, the number of slang terms for African-Americans is much larger than for whites, and they tend to be much more derogatory. The number of slang terms for homosexuals is much greater and more derogatory than those for heterosexuals, and even more so for women than for men. In fact, I’m hard put to think of any slang term for men in general, rather than particular kinds of men, that can’t also be used for a mixed group (‘you guys’), in the same way that ‘men’ up until fairly recently was the standard way to refer to ‘human beings’.

The left makes an argument that one function of some of those words is to reinforce the social order, to keep subordinate groups in their place, and that one way to promote a more just and egalitarian world is to stop using them. This had some success; ‘n!gger’ is entirely off-limits (I can’t even get it past the forum software), and referring to women as ‘broads’ or ‘chicks’ is not a way to be well-thought-of. Now like any well-intentioned idea, it can be taken too far, applied stupidly, or applied inconsistently, and sometimes is. (Misogyny in rap music is a particularly problematic case, but that’s a can of worms I really don’t want to open here.) However, I think most of us would agree that using derogatory slang terms for groups of people should be discouraged.

SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. Perhaps he want to be able to reinforce the current social order with the slang he uses; more likely he's just irritated and doesn't want to be told what to do and criticized for using certain words - but this is just guessing. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-14-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

I love Sarah Palin, did i ever say that?.

She is free and brezzy like the summer wind..

And no mr baxter i dont know why she is not SOS..

Prolly too HOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Y’know, thinking about it some more, I have a plausible idea about what SB is doing here, in addition to merely picking a fight for amusemnt.

Historically, people have often used slang terms for members of groups; nationalities, races, ethnicities, and of course men and women. These are rarely complimentary, sometimes neutral, more often derogatory; examples will come readily to mind. They’re a way to identify one’s tribe, to distinguish ‘us’ from ‘them’. They’re also more commonly (but not always) used by powerful and socially prestigious groups to refer to those with less power, and by majorities to refer to minorities. The opposite is rarer and usually not so harsh.

In current US English, the number of slang terms for African-Americans is much larger than for whites, and they tend to be much more derogatory. The number of slang terms for homosexuals is much greater and more derogatory than those for heterosexuals, and even more so for women than for men. In fact, I’m hard put to think of any slang term for men in general, rather than particular kinds of men, that can’t also be used for a mixed group (‘you guys’), in the same way that ‘men’ up until fairly recently was the standard way to refer to ‘human beings’.

The left makes an argument that one function of some of those words is to reinforce the social order, to keep subordinate groups in their place, and that one way to promote a more just and egalitarian world is to stop using them. This had some success; ‘n!gger’ is entirely off-limits (I can’t even get it past the forum software), and referring to women as ‘broads’ or ‘chicks’ is not a way to be well-thought-of. Now like any well-intentioned idea, it can be taken too far, applied stupidly, or applied inconsistently, and sometimes is. (Misogyny in rap music is a particularly problematic case, but that’s a can of worms I really don’t want to open here.) However, I think most of us would agree that using derogatory slang terms for groups of people should be discouraged.

SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.
    What I see SB doing is what we called in VIETNAM...H&I, that's where you determine routes and geographic areas that would be used by the opponent to move and position for attack. Then you bombard those areas at random with artillery and air bombardment to scramble their plans, pure form of harassment meant to put them off balance.
    PaulF

SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.
    You make great points Keith. I think, like any slang term, it depends on 1) who's saying it & 2) how it's said. Someone who's obviously been there using the term to someone else who's been there - with a smile - will most likely elicit a positive response. A person who obviously was never there or one using it in a derogatory way - totally different story.

I'm guessing SB has used it in a derogatory way - or he obviously hasn't been there - or both.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I love my Hippy Chick

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

My honey who was at Woodstock wears hippy chick as a badge of honour.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

SB is a reactionary, or at least the online persona who goes by the name is. My speculation is that one purpose of the seemingly-silly argument is to cast doubt on the entire project of making derogatory slang socially unacceptable. Perhaps he want to be able to reinforce the current social order with the slang he uses; more likely he's just irritated and doesn't want to be told what to do and criticized for using certain words - but this is just guessing. We ‘leftists’ use the term ‘hippiechicks’ , so it’s all mere ‘virtue signaling’ and hypocrisy. Nastier and more calculating than it looks, although I've wasted far more electrons on it that a reasonable man would.

i get what SB is saying. it's really just him(her?) holding a mirror up to the pc crowd so you can see how ridiculous these notions are. words only mean what you want them to mean. using "chick" doesn't make you sexist or misogynist unless you mean it to be. but if you go into a room of progressive feminists and call them "chicks", i don't care what intention you had... you're getting run out of there on a rail. and it's b/c they have a zero tolerance attitude. i don't like zero tolerance for anything. removing common decency and common sense from society makes for one dull and boring society.

Never met a hippie chick who was offended by the term
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Sorry, folks, but I honestly think that hippies and hippie chicks were a cosmic joke that they played on themselves.

I don't think the conservative right at the time was any more correct. In fact, it was far less correct. I just never bought into any of it.
    Duuuude. I'm sincerely sorry you missed it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

but if you go into a room of progressive feminists and call them "chicks", i don't care what intention you had... you're getting run out of there on a rail.
    As well you should, if only for irremediable stupidity. You don't go into a bar full of black guys and call them n!ggers either, although an African-American guy might call his friends that.

Words don't exist in isolation, and the choice of words has social effects. 'Common decency' means treating everyone with respect, and not using language that reinforces the unjustly subordinate position of a particular group. Of course, one can be stupid about it either way, and the left sometimes is pretty silly.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-14-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Richard Feynman