Thread: Great deal on teak grate

Default Great deal on teak grate

I just picked up some teak grating for my cockpit at hayneedle.com - https://www.hayneedle.com/product/be...d&tid=TDJ231-2 - on sale until mid March but even the regular price is great and free shipping.

These are sold as "shower mats" but perfect for my application. My cockpit is just shy of 24" wide so all I had to do was trim to fit:

IMG_2690.jpg

I'm just stacking four of them to cover the whole cockpit sole which makes them easy to remove and clean under. Much easier and way cheaper than building a custom solution from scratch or even from pre-cut components (slats, castellations) and I'm impressed with the quality. They have a bunch of rubber feet screwed into the bottom but easy to remove if you don't want them. They worked out well for me because they are easy to trim with a utility knife to adjust height. I have a bronze access plate to the engine compartment (the handle is in view in the cut-out in one of the grates) but it's not flush to the cockpit sole so I just trimmed the feet that rested on the plate. The whole solution for me ended up costing about $100!
    1949 Alden Malabar Jr - "Nixie"

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Default Re: Great deal on teak grate

Nice. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip!

This is the same one except "natural" instead of "chestnut" in color: https://www.hayneedle.com/product/be...shower-mat.cfm

Free shipping over $49 - so if you buy 2 or more there's no charge.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Pretty clever find! I'm curious if you think it helpful to have some way to hold the grates down in case of (God forbid!) a capsize, or even a steep angle of heel. A swing-up tab of some sort on either side of the well for each grate?

I got the "natural" (in the picture I showed above) - it doesn't have any finish on it from what I can tell. The "chestnut" seems to have a stain or sealer on it (and costs a little more). I needed four to completely cover my cockpit sole and bought an extra to fashion a grate in the cabin sole near the head to allow better circulation.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I lost interest after reading this bit.

• "Crafted of teak wood and steel"

Hopefully your compass doesn't point right to it!

You can't beat the price! What a bargain!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I lost interest after reading this bit.

• "Crafted of teak wood and steel"

Hopefully your compass doesn't point right to it!
    sejman They have a bunch of rubber feet screwed into the bottom but easy to remove if you don't want them.
    The steel is not difficult to remove or replace.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I bought an extra and replaced the (original?) plywood sole in small area between the head and locker, which also created a forward vent for the bilge.

Before:
    IMG_2688.jpg

After:
    IMG_2709.jpg

You can see in the second picture that I'm currently in the process of replacing the rest of the old plywood cabin sole with VG fir planking, which I plan to stain to be similar in color to the teak. That old linoleum in the head area is also obviously on the list...