Thread: Another carburetor question

Default Another carburetor question

Because it’s spring. I’m the new owner of a two year old non-functional lawnmower. The previous owners had a postage-stamp lawn that I could have mowed with a pair of scissors, or a single, not-very-hungry, rabbit. This thing looks brand new, including the oil. I assumed it had two-year-old gas in it, so I added some mechanic-in-a-bottle, yanked on it a few times every time I passed it for a couple of weeks, and then drained it and refilled with fresh gas. No go.

The mysterious thing is that it has no primer and no choke. My question is not so much “Why doesn’t it go?” as “Why is this ever supposed to start in the first place?”

Default Re: Another carburetor question

Probably has an automatic choke. I hate'em. Gas goes bad fast. Good that you drained it. Check the spark plug, that it's clean. If you have a second person, connect the plug wire to the loose plug and have someone hold it against the block or ground (with rubber gloves!) and see if the plug sparks. If yes, put it back in, torque it (usually about 11 lb-ft) and reconnect the plug wire. Spray a LITTLE starting fluid (ether) on the air filter and give it a yank.

Your message seems to not like apostrophes, I think this is a unicode problem. I've seen the same problem on another website but never here.

How far are you/the mower from downtown Seattle?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Try a shot of starting fluid. If it runs for a second or two, there is likelihood of ethanol swollen/ damaged orings etc. in the carb, restricting fuel. Or, that's what happened to mine!
    Parts are usually less than $20

Briggs or Honda?
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

common prob. carb with bowl underneath (gravity feed from gas tank) has a jet inside the bowl, accessible by removing the bowl & 'looking' straight up. It loves to get plugged from sitting. I clean with a skinny wire (usually pulled from a wire brush) and carb cleaner.

also, newer ones have a solenoid (insides visible when you drop the bowl) that plugs the valve when the engine is killed (running, 12 v opens it) - perhaps ensure the wires to it are good, it's getting juice (<technical term), & it isn't rusted internally.

and that's pretty much the extent of my '3k mile screwdriver'!

eta:

Oh, the automatic choke that Bob (oh, THAT Bob) (-; was talking about is often a little white flapper valve which opens as soon as air starts flowing with any velocity. It sits right behind the air filter.

Tapatalk on an iPhone does weird stuff with apostrophes here.

Tapatalk on an iPhone does weird stuff with apostrophes here.

Yep. One cannot use contractions when posting with Tapatalk.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Is the kill switch/ safety handle functional? That has gotten me a few times with the inlaws Honda.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Fuel + air + sparks = go

^^ as long as you have a spark as tested by upstairs methods it has to a carb issue.... but still take out the plug and put lashings of starter fluid around...you obviously have fresh gas, and crank and crank and crank...pull-cord starter no? with throttle fully open pour a bit of gas down the plug hole and even some ether. and crank etc etc. tip it over to drain all that gas out, through the plug hole, new plug or clean the plug and heat over a gas flame, the problema is almost certainly old gummy gas and deposits. If that doesn't work it will be a carb -off and properly cleaned situation. this is a seasonal issue ...I do a load of strimming , rotovating, chainsawing, for about a month and then the kit doesn't get used for another year..this usually works .
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    fuel + air + sparks + compression = go
    ftfy....

Honda outboard motors with carbs had a convenient drain plug on the bottom of the carb to easily purge water in the carb float bowl. If the mower carb has such a drain, definitely give it a drain and flush with new fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    ftfy....
    Now there's a person that remembers their thermodynamic cycles. Let that be a lesson to the rest of ya.