Thread: Engine mount piic on double ender?

Default Engine mount piic on double ender?

Anyone clarify for me how these add-on motor mounts work on a double ender..i.e a CY ? Easily understandable when they are placed on a transom but never seeing one in person don't get how they would work on either side of a boat (i'm told they do) that doesent' have a transom. It doesn't appear you can mount the motor 90 degrees to the motor mount. Do I have that wrong or ? I'm refusing to cut a well out in the boat for a motor (just doesn't seem right) but know this fair weather lake boat will be needing one come dead of summer

Default Re: Engine mount piic on double ender?

electric trolling motor?

photos are essential.

This is the type of mount.. -Dan-

There are as many approaches to this as there are boats. A pricy version from Edson is at http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailin...e-bracket.html

The Spartan bracket you are showing is for boats with a transom. The one Ian posted is indeed for a double-ender, though I've seen similar on Folkboats.

I would think a mount like the Edson one could be built fairly easily for a low HP motor.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I would imagine one could modify the spartan bracket with an angle plate for mouting the motor to allow this type of bracket to deck mounted at the off angle that would result from a double ender hull shape. A bit more work and troubleshooting to it, but could likely work barring any other solutions.
    And is ultimately likely far simler than cutting in and building a well for the motor.

Ahhhh,.... small outboards of the vintage that those brackets were popular normally spun 360 degrees (for ‘reverse’), so mounting it on a “sideways” facing bracket was no problem.

I had one custom made, made a template out of some scrap ply. Its mounted about 1 meter forward of the transom so I can operate it easily. I use it for an electric motor, a minnkota 55.

20140317_173813.jpg

20140317_173758.jpg

mm3.jpg

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

I once found a picture on the internet (cannot remember where it came from) of a similar, but smaller boat and a homemade solution. Saved it just in case the need for something like that should ever arise.

Shetland boat with motor bracket.jpg

Old Town offers clamp on motor brackets for their canoes

the Dovkies frequently have fully functional motor brackets

they are typically set on the port quarter

a key to a successful bracket is for it to be at a 90 angle to the keel line

when the bracket pad is other than 90 the clamps wont be strong enough to keep the motor from simply twisting off the bracket

another key is to mount the motor deeper than normally found on a power boat

when mounting at the recommended depth the prop WILL come out of the water as the stern rises on a wave and when the hull rolls from side to side

also make sure to mount the motor where you can easily reach the controls from the cockpit if at all possible

i am not familiar with a "CY" so i am limited on much else

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Dmq400,

By the reference to CY do you mean Caledonia Yawl? Is so, my recommendation is do not try a motor mount that hangs off the gunwale. Iain's design show how to build a motor well that fits the boat perfectly. An outside mount is exposed to waves and creates an imbalance to the boat.

I will post pictures of my Caledonia Yawl with motor well mount if this is really what you are asking about. The motor well box is sealed off top and bottom to seal the opening and preserve the exterior hull surface when the motor is not mounted in the well.

Thanks for the responses. Yes its a Caledonia yawl....but still can not stand the idea of a hole in the hull (motor well). Again, for us it will just be a summer sailer trailer and see the motor srictly to get us back from up the lake when the wind dies down late afternoon. Im certainly open to modifications after giving it a go for a season or so.

By the reference to CY do you mean Caledonia Yawl? Is so, my recommendation is do not try a motor mount that hangs off the gunwale. Iain's design show how to build a motor well that fits the boat perfectly. An outside mount is exposed to waves and creates an imbalance to the boat.

I will post pictures of my Caledonia Yawl with motor well mount if this is really what you are asking about. The motor well box is sealed off top and bottom to seal the opening and preserve the exterior hull surface when the motor is not mounted in the well.[/QUOTE]