Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AGM batteries pulling double duty as ballast

Default Re: AGM batteries pulling double duty as ballast

Have we been discussing eggman's project or yours? I have been operating under the presumption that it has been about eggman's.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Sent you a PM, should clarify it all for you.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Got them. It's late, so I will reply tomorrow, OK?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

This is very enlightening and and the lessons we can learn discussing anyone's particular project is valid and will help me with my mine I would think.
    I asked this question well before settling on a design, I am new to this field but as with our other pastime which is long duration over-landing with a 4x4 vehicle and off-road trailer many of the parameters crossover, space/weight,center of gravity,rough/unstable conditions and being on your own in an unforgiving environment that can and will kill you if taken for granted so ALL views and experiences will help me make the best decisions I can. This idea started well before my choice of design to first see if it was even an option that seems to have been answered so now I can start to work out the particulars that suit our needs and I will still gain insight from others working out theirs. As I stated before "knowledge is power" and I can use all I can acquire as I enter this new field, so it would be hard to 'hijack' this discussion from my point of view...

Glad I didn't steer it too far off. I see my project as almost exactly like yours only on a larger scale with all that entails.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Glad I didn't steer it too far off. I see my project as almost exactly like yours only on a larger scale with all that entails.
    Looking at this from both ends of the size spectrum will only end with a better understanding of the issue and will be useful to others that may take this path, the efficient use of both space and weight is desirable for any size project.

Just curious, what is the result if batteries do happen to flood?

Sent from my Vivo 8L using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post

A quick dunk should not be a problem, but immersion for hours(?), especially in salt water can wreck the battery. It seems that the electrical wiring can also be trashed.

Having read a little more about batteries in the bilge, it seems that some sort of waterproof enclosure would be a good idea. There doesn't seem to be much good information readily available on building such an enclosure, but it shouldn't be too difficult. The enclosure needs to be vented, especially with flooded lead acid. Gore makes Teflon fiber vents that pass gasses but not liquids. Too much pressure for too long will result in some leakage, so it might be good to pad the batteries with packets of sodium polyacrylate gel and a few handfuls of limestone powder. Prepackaged gel absorbent pads are readily available to Pamper your battery, but the choice of packaging Depends on your situation. The gel may be overkill, as well as the puns.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...s-in-the-Bilge
    http://owlogic.com/pdfs/Gore-Membrane-vents.pdf
    https://roadslesstraveled.us/wet-cel...n-wiring-tips/
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

All batteries are ballast.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post

I would have thought water across the terminals would be terminal. for the batterries.