Thread: Meet the new family member

Default Meet the new family member

Adopted today, a 'lile Staffy Bitch
    DSC03363.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: Meet the new family member

Staffie?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Looks like she's settling in, Nick. Is that your usual spot on the couch? <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Cute, what's her name?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Always good to see another pet adopted. Good for you, PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Looks like she's settling in, Nick. Is that your usual spot on the couch? <grin>
    soon he will be on the couch full time and the dog in the bed...

congradulations on the pooch!
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

it’s a dogs life

Congratulations!!!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Great!

I understand staffy as short for, "Staffordshire Terrier", but what does, " 'lile, " mean? Brindle?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Would that be little as in lil abner. A towel under the dog so she doesn’t scratch the leather.....I wish I’d thought of that.

Do you know her history?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Staffie?
    Staffordshire Terrier

The only breed of dog bred originally for fighting that you can honestly leave in the presence of a baby with absolute security, all other things being equal i.e. no history of abuse. My uncle had Staffies his whole life, the most affectionate funny and soppy characters around in the dog world, even though let's face it, they could eat frying pans if they so chose.

Congrats Nick! She's lovely.

Nice find!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Woof!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

We went away last weekend to pick up my ex's new pup. Its a long story, but she gave me her Border Terrier ( we had "joint custody") when cancer carried away my old guy and she was both working full time and doing a full time course of study. Done that, passed the exams and got the piece of paper.
    She found a West Highland White / Poodle cross on line, 450 km away, so we spent a few days leisurely touring, then picked up the 12 week old pup and brought him home.
    My terrier wont even look in his direction, a bit of the green monster in there, but the pup is settling in very well, has already begun training his human.
    I'm back home on my ship, terrier asleep on my feet while I work through the mornings emails.
    Denny ( the ex) is into seriously training dogs, her/my terrier is really well behaved and has lots of tricks, this new one is already trained, ( three days since we picked him up) to go through the cat flap, sleep in his crate, come when he's called and sit. He's very smart and eager to please.
    He'll be doing agility, the terrier can do all that but was a bit too keen to go and argue with the other dogs. He's ok now, we trained him out of that. He's a sailor dog now, when I go up to the shed and bring the oars out he's usually sitting in the boat waiting for me to slide it off the dock.

Dogs, a house is not a home without one.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Woof!
    Yes, I was the other day advising a young lady to build a kennel up in the ceiling of her home so her dog could live up there. She was very puzzled by this suggestion, until I explained that it was a good way to "keep a woof over her head".

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Yes, I was the other day advising a young lady to build a kennel up in the ceiling of her home so her dog could live up there. She was very puzzled by this suggestion, until I explained that it was a good way to "keep a woof over her head".

John Welsford
    Sigh... go BACK to your corner.

It's too cold now for a ceiling fan...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

yes, i was the other day advising a young lady to build a kennel up in the ceiling of her home so her dog could live up there. She was very puzzled by this suggestion, until i explained that it was a good way to "keep a woof over her head".

John welsford
    *groan!*

SWMBO doesn't allow cat or dog in the house, sadly. I had a cat when we met and he hated her with a passion - it was mutual, really. The kids have had a string of gerbils for a bit, but they're not the same as a cat or dog. I spend a fair amount of time in the yard when the weather is nice, so I've taken to compensating with local "friends". They're actually quite personable and like a nice scratch.

Last edited by Canoez; 03-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

what does, " 'lile, " mean? Brindle?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    Would that be little as in lil abner.
    Correct, it is a Cumbrian dialect variation of little also written a la'al

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Nope, no wukkas, we have two two seaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Cute, what's her name?
    Luna
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Do you know her history?
    5 Years old, she has been in foster care the last two years, too boisterous for two families to keep before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    soon he will be on the couch full time and the dog in the bed...

congradulations on the pooch!
    And thank you all for of your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcodger View Post
    what does, " 'lile, " mean? Brindle?

Originally Posted by Boater14
    Would that be little as in lil abner.

Correct, it is a Cumbrian dialect variation of little also written a la'al
    Just so

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    A towel under the dog so she doesn’t scratch the leather.....I wish I’d thought of that.
    A sheepskin works well.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    The only breed of dog bred originally for fighting that you can honestly leave in the presence of a baby with absolute security, all other things being equal i.e. no history of abuse. My uncle had Staffies his whole life, the most affectionate funny and soppy characters around in the dog world, even though let's face it, they could eat frying pans if they so chose.

Congrats Nick! She's lovely.
    Yup. I have a friends who has serial staffies and every one has been just as you describe. All different characters and all soft as butter.

Dogs and cats. I love both but have always had cats. Lots of doggie friends though. Only one downside - they aren't nearly as durable as I would wish. But I wish staffie Luna a long life and a happy one.

I have a Luna next door - little border terrier, with her mum, Ginny. Nice dogs. Fun watching Luna and one of my cats, Woolly, sizing each other up. They both make "let's play" signals, but Luna does it in doggish and Woolly does it in cattish. I think they need a two way interpreter......
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

What a curious and timely post... I wasn't going to impart this news as I thought it a little self indulgent and I'm not seeking commiseration. Firstly well done Nick for adopting a needy hound... I've done it a couple of times but be aware if she's been abandoned there might be a reason...other than playful or boisterous...love her and watch over her carefully and all good wishes.

secondly I have just buried my best mate, a fifteen year old husky cross, the grandson of one of the best dogs in the world, who died at 6am this morning. At the foot of the bed, a sudden decline after a year or so of medication for heart problems a stomach tumour, deaf, one eye caved in because of a failure of musculature round the eye socket... spurs on his spine causing him to have a weird limp where he couldn't put a front paw down on its pad,.. bit of a mess really but until Friday, still making a feeble walk, not at all a moan or grizzle, and all bodily functions ok...... Then sleeping on the floor with him until he just drifted away.
    Fifteen years. a quarter of my life. ferk, it hurts.
    The rest of the day's been in bits, and the WBF was going to be a distractor-factor when I see Nick' s post
    Jeeez now i'm going to be weeping even longer.....

the first day in twenty seven years without a mutt.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Dogs, a house is not a home without one.

John Welsford
    oh gawd at 2000 hrs do I not absolutely feel that

Condolences, jonboy. Cry a bit, mope about for a few days, then next week go out and rescue another best friend forever. You'll be better for it, and your new best mate will be over the moon.

A few years back Joe-then-Joe-Cold-Spring-On-Hudson lost his best pal, Lucky-Thar-Dog. I told him a story that he says made him feel better. This is what I wrote:

A family's dog had lived a long and happy life, but its time on earth was drawing nigh. He was ill and in pain, and the family didn't want to prolong his suffering, but were concerned about how their six-year-old boy would take it. The boy had never known the household without their faithful dog present, and he and the dog had become inseparable as only a boy and his dog could be. After a few late-night discussions, the parents decided that they would ask the boy if he wanted to go with them on the dog's last trip to the vet's. The boy was certain that he wanted to accompany his best friend on his last journey.

At the vet's, the boy was stoic and stayed by the dog while the vet administered the lethal dose, and patted the dog's head and talked softly to him until the last, long, breath escaped and the dog was gone. The vet took the young boy out of the surgery and sat with him in the reception area. He asked him how he felt about what had just happened. The little boy spoke up bravely and surely, saying that he was quite OK with it. The vet was surprised at the young fellow's strength and courage, and asked him how he felt about his best friend leaving him so soon. The little boy looked at the vet and explained:

"In Sunday School the teacher taught us that God put us on Earth so that we could learn how to be nice and kind and to love everybody so we can all go to Heaven. Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay here as long as people have to".
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    What a curious and timely post... I wasn't going to impart this news as I thought it a little self indulgent and I'm not seeking commiseration. Firstly well done Nick for adopting a needy hound... I've done it a couple of times but be aware if she's been abandoned there might be a reason...other than playful or boisterous...love her and watch over her carefully and all good wishes.

secondly I have just buried my best mate, a fifteen year old husky cross, the grandson of one of the best dogs in the world, who died at 6am this morning. At the foot of the bed, a sudden decline after a year or so of medication for heart problems a stomach tumour, deaf, one eye caved in because of a failure of musculature round the eye socket... spurs on his spine causing him to have a weird limp where he couldn't put a front paw down on its pad,.. bit of a mess really but until Friday, still making a feeble walk, not at all a moan or grizzle, and all bodily functions ok...... Then sleeping on the floor with him until he just drifted away.
    The rest of the day's been in bits, and the WBF was going to be a distractor-factor when I see Nick' s post
    Jeeez now i'm going to be weeping even longer.....

the first day in twenty seven years without a mutt.
    Sorry to hear of your loss. We were caring for our daughters dog until heart failure carried her off last year.
    DSC03043.jpgTara was part Staffie as well.
    We had a long chat with the foster carer so we have a pretty good handle on Luna's character and behaviours, so it is both eyes open. Being in foster care for two years with an experienced dog owner, she should be pretty well settled down.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post

s Then sleeping on the floor with him until he just drifted away.
    Love is love, whether it's for a member of the same species or another one. Dogs and cats are so powerful a presence in a family or a household. I don't think people who haven't lived with animals can understand those of us who have. But most of us know something of the awful pain you describe. I certainly do. Different for everyone, of course, but there is also much in common.

Last time we had to say goodbye to a beloved cat we decided to leave things as they were for a while. Couldn't do it. We were quickly off to "cat rescue" and acquired a pair of delightful and closely bonded brothers from the same litter.

Great sadness for your loss. But let's hope the lovely Luna has many happy years in front of her now that she has found a good new home. That's always been the small crumb of comfort for me when the time comes - at least being able to give a loving home to another creature that's in need of it.

Sorry to hear that Jonboy.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Don't know how anyone does the foster care thing - I'd have terrible trouble giving away a dog after two years.

Enjoy the new friend.

I don't think we find them-they seem to find us.

Agreed...my departed man above was the only dog I ever went to a litter and said .him. and that was because he was a continuation of the blood line of his Granpa, a rescue dog. I won't go out and get another even a rescue dog yet, I'll wait and see who turns up. or not.

the thought that I might not outlive the next acquisition is a consideration too .. If I croak in the next fifteen years or sooner, statistically possible , can't bear the thought of what might happen to dogberry

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I don't think we find them-they seem to find us.
    You can say that again. Literally true with cats. If they consider their circumstances unsatisfactory they just get on their bikes and find themselves a home. I have acquired cats in two ways only - from cat rescue or by feline command. They seem to have a grapevine that spreads the word when there is a vacancy, or simply where to find good digs with dutiful staff.

One beloved old chap - a big, friendly ginger boy whose philosophy of life was "I love everyone and everyone loves me" - kept breaking in through a locked catflap, so determined was he to take over our household.

Resident cats and vicarious dogs (I'm a great walker and I know all the village dogs) Wouldn't be without them.

Very well done Nick! Congratulations. If she’s like any staffi I’ve known, her love will show no bounds. This makes my day!

My two pittie boys are snuggled on their couch, yes they have their own couch, with a bunch of blankets and pillows, warming themselves after we made them go out in the burgeoning nor’easter we’ve go going on here. They sure know how to snuggle.

Good luck to you guys.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross