Thread: Help identifying a Chris Craft

Exclamation Help identifying a Chris Craft

I just got an old boat from my family and it is a Chris craft. Data plate says Hull# R-22-324. I assume it is a 22foot. Anybody know what the rest means? Year type ect.

The boat has seating in front of the engine and behind. Has the MCL engine, 1 screw, which I now understand is the largest of the flat 6 cylinders.

I have looked at a lot of wood boats for sale on the internet and I don't see one like this. Is this a rare boat or just a limited production.

Regards

JP

Default Re: Help identifying a Chris Craft

Not a whole lot of C.C. Experts here. (Construction yes, models probably no). I would suggest the Chris Craft Antique Noat Club, or the ACBS (Antique and Classic Boat Society), Also, if you want to know everything there is about your specific boat contact the Mariners Museum in Newport News VA, with her hull # and they can give you all the original build information (there is a fee).

send some photos to these people.
    you may find some parts you need also.
    PHOTOS will always get you the most accurate information.
    http://www.classicboatconnection.com/index.html

The MCL engine was fitted in the mid 50s in the Continental and Sportsman and Capri 21 and 22 footers.. but I can't find anything with the hull suffix 'R' that fits, or anything actually with the R suffix alone.. there's a Br but only had a hull run of 50 or so, nd with the MBL motor... have you got the data plate info certain ?

still, I'm guessing this a '55 or 56 open runabout, and the the info you have supplied would be a 22 ft with a production run of at least 324 obviously and the only open runabouts that fit that are the 22ft Holiday or continental, but there weren't made more than a couple hundred, even less...or the sportsman from 1946 to 56 ?

this could be a marriage piece... one hull mated to a diferente motor, after all its at least 70 years old anything could have happened...! Jerry Conrad's the essential guide to Chris craft is the info source...I seem to have lost my copy and am working from notes I took maybe ten years ago trying to ID a similar hull. Photos and check that hull number The R could a H or a X maybe.....good luck!
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

The poster says it is either a double or triple cockpit. There were 22-foot triple cockpits made pre-WWII--quite desirable today.

I did wonder if it might be pre-war, but still nothing that has the R suffix or the required number 350 or so production run . gorgeous boats though

could be a 1940s utility...can't remember if they were open with seating fore and aft the engine case or three seperate cockpits...could well have been made in the many hundreds, but I tink the MC and MB motors are definitely early 50s on.. I did a boatload of research on these when building a replica in the early 2000s but seem to have lost a lot of the info...

What's the provenance I wonder? ...same owner or at least family ownership for ever or just recently ? older photos would help...
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

R is a riviera but they only came in 16', 18' and 20'. None had an MCL and Rivs only had cockpit forward.

Without pictures impossible to tell what this boat really is.