Thread: Geelong Wooden Boat Show pictures

Default Geelong Wooden Boat Show pictures

I had a walk around the Geelong Wooden Boat show today., aside from alternatly chasing my four year old around, dragging him around, or fishing his hat out of the water... Some lovely boats and interesting friendly people.

These first pictures are of the fleet of Tumlaren's. Such beautiful and delicate boats, they remind me of a fine violin. Lovely to see them being raced and well looked after.

Not in the GWBS, but tucked into her berth at Geelong this small triple diagonal cutter was built by a friend of mine and then sailed singlehanded around the world. It was nice to see her again, and looking tidy. Joe would be pleased.

This a beautiful Ian Oughtred Penny Fee. I enjoyed watching her sailing in the gusty westerly. They came in close and tucked in a reef (or two?) Before shooting off quickly. It looked fairly wild further offshore and my young fellas hat went for a swim in one gust, much to his dismay.

A stunning Piccilo sailing canoe. I was amazed at just how small it was, and how delicately it is framed. It almost looks like a model. It would be a very fun boat to sail in flat water, maybe a bit scary in a chop?

The scond boat is a very substantial George Buehler gaff ketch. I'd like to see a topmast or two to spread a decent amount of light air canvas, However she looked like she would be perfectly at home in a blow offshore.

Default Re: Geelong Wooden Boat Show pictures

That George Buehler gaff ketch has been for sale for ages.
    Where there any whale boats there ?.
    Regards Rob J.

It was a fun day, and the little fella enjoyed himself, especially loving the remote control model frigate with a working water cannon, that squirted him and then the chance to have a go at caulking with a real caulking iron and hammer.

There was a good variety of boats and stalls. It is much smaller than the Hobart WBS. But well worth the visit. And it did make it easy to get around in half a day. Thanks to all exhibitors and especially all those who answered my many questions.

Finastkind.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    That George Buehler gaff ketch has been for sale for ages.
    Where there any whale boats there ?.
    Regards Rob J.
    Yes, there was a stunning replica whaleboat. Unfortunately what with trying to keep some control of a very mischievous and energetic 4 year old and his hat the number and quality of my photo's was a bit limited...

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    Yes, there was a stunning replica whaleboat. Unfortunately what with trying to keep some control of a very mischievous and energetic 4 year old and his hat the number and quality of my photo's was a bit limited...
    Sounds like the young bloke had a ball.
    The reason I asked is that Garry Stewart has built an 1830's replica whaleboat , and it has just been launched.
    Probably the best time to show it , just out of the shop.
    Regards Rob J.

I had a walk around the Geelong Wooden Boat show today., aside from alternatly chasing my four year old around, dragging him around, or fishing his hat out of the water... Some lovely boats and interesting friendly people.

These first pictures are of the fleet of Tumlaren's. Such beautiful and delicate boats, they remind me of a fine violin. Lovely to see them being raced and well looked after.
    Beautiful!!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Sounds like the young bloke had a ball.
    The reason I asked is that Garry Stewart has built an 1830's replica whaleboat , and it has just been launched.
    Probably the best time to show it , just out of the shop.
    Regards Rob J.
    Yep, if you look closely you can see the wee ranga trying to work out how he can climb into the piccolo... After his initial reluctance to be dragged away from the kids area, he had a great time.

The whaleboat looked pretty old to my eye, but it may just have been some sort of tarry wood treatment. I had a brief look as I shot past chasing an escapee child. It was the stout snubbing post at the bow that gave away the fact that it was a whaleboat .

There are quite a number of whaleboats racing around Warrnambool Port Fairy and Portland.
    And probably Geelong too.
    If Garry Steward built it , and it was just launched , the whaleboat would be immaculate.
    Yes , your young bloke would fit right in on that Piccolo , tan sails and all.
    He could be part of the furniture.
    Regards Rob J.

Very nice! Thanks Mr Pea!

Rick

It's sure been a busy few weeks in Vicco with the wooden boat scene. The week before last was a little festival that featured wooden boats at Rhyl on Phillip Island. I went on Sunday, catching the Stony Point Ferry and Wayne, one of the coxwains on the Westernport Pilot Service gave me a lift to Rhyl. He has a lovely Lacco motor boat. We then sailed Wayne Parr's Moonraker, a Maurice Grifith 26 foot gaffer back to Port Phillip via Cowes and Flinders to get ready for the Geelong festival.

A few days later Storm Bay followed and on a day with 30 knot SW winds. We had 15 to 20 knot SW on Moonraker. Rod Martin, one of the crew on Storm Bay put together this vid which gives a nice idea of sailing on Storm Bay in these conditions.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

I was on the main sheet on Storm Bay for the sail past on Sunday at Geelong and grabbed the chance to get a few iPhone pics.

Jane a lovely boat Tim and the team at the wooden boatshop built for Chris Sin, a motor sailer built from the couta boat design.

detail of the Jane:

Storm Bay's Galley. The stove was built in Maine

Wayne Parr, provisioning on Thursday evening, rowing his lovely dingy that he rebuilt .

The hand winch for Storm Bay's centre board:

I crewed on a couta boat for the trip back to Sorrento on Monday. The only sort of dry place on the boat as we punched into a head wind......

The most sailed yacht in Port Phillip I reckon. This fella goes out every day when it's possible to get a sail up from Queenscliff, often traversing the heads between Point Londsdale and Point Napean.

best pic i could manage:

And the good ship Enterprize. Not long after this pic a net boat was powering along watching Storm Bay and failed to notice the approaching Enterprize to starboard. Within seconds of a collision which would have tangled the smaller boats rigging in the Enterprize's bowsprit the skipper of Enterprise puller her up to a standstill in a second or two and the netboat wildly took a turn to port. It was spectacular to watch but there was a collective sigh of releif on Storm Bay I can telll you!

One of my favorites at the Geelong Festival was Indi. She is an Aitkens ketch and I have been following her restoration on instagram and had a great chat and look over the boat while at Geelong.
    Unfortunately I didn't get a pic. I hope someone posts a few but here's one from the F'book after they got the sails back up.

If all goes to plan they will be in Hobart for the next festival.

Indi not long after she was built:

Last edited by Hallam; 06-06-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Not in the GWBS, but tucked into her berth at Geelong this small triple diagonal cutter was built by a friend of mine and then sailed singlehanded around the world. It was nice to see her again, and looking tidy. Joe would be pleased.
    Seabird is owned by Sue and Andy. We met last year at Yamba, then again at Eden, during our delivery adventures around the East and South coasts. They have become very dear friends of mine. I think there might be a pic or two of Seabird in my Arawana thread. She is masterfully built.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Seabird is owned by Sue and Andy. We met last year at Yamba, then again at Eden, during our delivery adventures around the East and South coasts. They have become very dear friends of mine. I think there might be a pic or two of Seabird in my Arawana thread. She is masterfully built.
    Good to hear she has found a new home. She really is an exceptional little boat, unique and quirkly. Designed, built and sailed around the world by a very interesting and free thinking man.

I wonder if she still has the squaresail setup onboard? I got to know Joe Davison many years ago when I was in NZ. He was getting on in years then and had a smaller boat. I enjoyed his stories of the adventures he had while sailing her around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    One of my favorites at the Geelong Festival was Indi. She is an Aitkens ketch and I have been following her restoration on instagram and had a great chat and look over the boat while at Geelong.
    Unfortunately I didn't get a pic. I hope someone posts a few but here's one from the F'book after they got the sails back up.

If all goes to plan they will be in Hobart for the next festival.

Thanks for the photo's. Storm bay is an amazing boat and Ive always been very impressed with the way she is sailed and handled. I remember seeing her tearing around the derwent with a huge jackyard topsail set a few years back. She looked great and they did a fine job of handling a big overcanvased boat in the gusty conditions. Its rare to see a big powerful gaffer being sailed with such zest these days.

I'll look out for that Ingrid ketch down in Hobart next year. She is a beauty. I have a real soft spot for that design.

Good to hear she has found a new home. She really is an exceptional little boat, unique and quirkly. Designed, built and sailed around the world by a very interesting and free thinking man.

I wonder if she still has the squaresail setup onboard? I got to know Joe Davison many years ago when I was in NZ. He was getting on in years then and had a smaller boat. I enjoyed his stories of the adventures he had while sailing her around the world.
    I tried to PM you but it seems to have gone astray. Sue and Andy would like to get in touch with you re Joe and Seabird.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

^^ PM sent. It would be nice to talk to the owners of Sea Bird.

Storm Bay was my favourite big boat at Geelong...as it was in Hobart.

GWBF 007.jpg

I dont suppose you noticed the name of that pale blue Tumlare in the first photo? She looks a lot like my old Tum, Zonja

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Storm Bay was my favourite big boat at Geelong...as it was in Hobart.

GWBF 007.jpg
    Indeed, gorgeous.

Quirkly.

It's funny seeing that Kiwi on the bow of a boat called Seabird.

Rick

Hugh C. ...please check your PM's and/or Hotmail re above piccy.

Hans

Nice!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93