Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is a forum members flag up side down?

Default Re: Why is a forum members flag up side down?

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    There are several sentiments that can be conveyed and wondered which of them you are trying to convey, rather than assume one of them and have you berate me for said assumption. Just asking for clarification.
    Well, I thought it would have been rather obvious, but when one's country is threatened with an authoritarian regime which is incompetent, ignorant, and overwhelmingly corrupt, I'd say that the nation is indeed in distress... and that is what the inverted flag signifies.

There are echoes of countless similar circumstances in nations around the world, throughout history, in which a small but highly vocal movement manages to elevate someone to power, which threatens the very fabric of the social and political covenant... and it never turns out to accrue to the benefit of that nation. We are in the early stages of the same thing, in America.... aided by the selfish interests of people who have forgotten... or, perhaps, never really knew or understood... the credo of the nation we live in, and the values we once held as sacrosanct.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me.... but it's clear that MOST here certainly do. This is MY expression, but I don't feel alone in expressing it.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Why do you hate your country so very much, when it has afforded so much to you? Perhaps it is precisely because it has done so much for you that a sense of sneering entitlement predominates.

Elderly, white American men have been so coddled by this nation they can no longer feel gratitude for its benefit. They are deserving of contempt, in heavy doses.
    I frankly don't know how to respond to someone so incredibly selfish, insular, and uncaring for others, than you.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Thanks for the clarification.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I frankly don't know how to respond to someone so incredibly selfish, insular, and uncaring for others, than you.
    silence works best since negative reaction is his reward.

Keith, Old Dryfoot - I'm with you. Such a lofty mountain made of a miniscule molehill! What a mighty storm stirred up in a teacup! What silliness, what outrage, what malice over nothing! What fools!
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

You're not required to respond. It is my impression that you do these little troll moves and then become incensed when people are drawn in. The reasons you give for your protest make you sound like Antifa. But you're not Antifa.

You couldn't be more establishmentarian, more secure, more comfortable. And if the reasons for your protest are actually true, then what of your response?

An avatar? That's It? The very foundations of our democracy are crumbling and all you can muster in protest is an avatar change?

The whole thing is silly pretension.

Why do you hate your country so very much, when it has afforded so much to you? Perhaps it is precisely because it has done so much for you that a sense of sneering entitlement predominates.

Elderly, white American men have been so coddled by this nation they can no longer feel gratitude for its benefit. They are deserving of contempt, in heavy doses.
    Of course it is not hate, but love for our country that he does so. Patriotism is not just waving the flag and supporting the president unconditionally. It is the ability to see our country's issues and problems and doing anything and everything to fix it. Even something small like the flag upside down as an avatar, it might just call attention to a problem, which it obviously did. Patriots do not drive lifted 4x4s with the flags hanging from the back, they work behind the scenes to change what needs changing.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

my take on it? i don't care if you do it. but now you're an idiot in my book.

Nosce te ipsum

such a lofty mountain
    And now the Brits chime in, like clockwork, for a little consensus building. Who cares who you agree with (or not)?

Lofty mountains? Some of us are just being critical.

It should be noted that bobbys started this thread not Norm.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Must be hard to see with all of that hypocrisy in one's eyes.
    Nosce te ipsum

it is not hate but love for our country...
    Ah, I see. Norman is actually making a statement of patriotism.

On this Forum, true patriotic statements, that is, just plain statements of love for this country and gratitude for its benefit, are rarer then hens teeth.

Nice try, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    my take on it? i don't care if you do it. but now you're an idiot in my book.
    And I'll wear that, like a badge of honor, since it comes from you.

On this Forum, true patriotic statements, that is, just plain statements of love for this country and gratitude for its benefit, are rarer then hens teeth.
    Blind loyalty and obeisance to a President and administration is NOT patriotism.

Well, not for most of us. Maybe, for you.

And I'll wear that, like a badge of honor, since it comes from you.

just don't wear it upside down

I guess this means we'll not be seeing Norman at the 4th of July parade this year.

If you do go, Norman, man up and carry an inverted flag!

And now the Brits chime in, like clockwork, for a little consensus building. Who cares who you agree with (or not)?

Lofty mountains? Some of us are just being critical.
    You have plenty of opinions about GB, I've noticed, and no qualms about expressing them. But you always did prefer dishing to taking. The SB snarl is so very familiar. It's clear you do care, or else why bother to respond? Snarl away.

You and several others on this thread are making fools of yourselves. If it wasn't so vicious (and so silly) it would be laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    You have plenty of opinions about GB, I've noticed, and no qualms about expressing them. But you always did prefer dishing to taking. The SB snarl is so very familiar. I'll stand by for the next.

You and several others on this thread are making fools of yourselves. If it wasn't so vicious it would be laughable.
    Why are you here on this thread, dtc? You came in just to pick a fight with me. You don't have a dog in this hunt.

Consensus building is a tired old saw. Quit pulling on it.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    Keith, Old Dryfoot - I'm with you. Such a lofty mountain made of a miniscule molehill! What a mighty storm stirred up in a teacup! What silliness, what outrage, what malice over nothing! What fools!
    It should be obvious to even the relative newcomers that there are some here who seem to enjoy posting things designed, not to illuminate or further productive conversation and understanding, but simply to rile things up (stir the ****, in the vernacular). Because that's all they have. They're not capable of collegial conversation, nor full coprehension... so why pursue it. They're not capable of considering their own thoughts as hypotheses, but rather cling to them like drowning sailors, and support them by attempting to tear down (fairly or unfairly) other notions. Who use snippets of cherry-picked data like a drunk uses a lamp post - not to illuminate, but to support.

Sometimes, though, in spite of the limitations and interference of the KnowNothings... actual conversations sprout from even the most harsh and infertile landscapes.

Just not this time.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Now, now, Blooie; the WBF and The Bilge are open to all, regardless of nationality. Why, even Californian right-wingers are allowed to come here and spout silliness. They are just not allowed to be the gatekeeper - that is Scot's job.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Norm's wealth and white privilege are not the issue, Bluey. Trying to make the thread into an ad hominem against Norm is an attractive bit of deflection, but the point isn't Norm's socioeconomic status, but his assessment of the health of your polity.

Remember when Trump spoke at the Republican convention, and then the inauguration? Remember his dire comments about how America was in the toilet, and that those woes were so catastrophic that only he could fix it? Trump's whole campaign was claiming that the country was sailing with an inverted flag, that only real Americans like his base would admit.

Norm is expressing worry about the wilful destruction of civil society institutions. About the failure of the Republican led Co equal branches of government to even pretend to be Co equal. About the resultant impacts of this attack on America's Constitutional government both at home and in foreign affairs. He isn't alone.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Hay, BS.....there is a limit to how many fish you can troll, you don't have a permit for 5 pages!
    PaulF

Ooooh, the Holy 'Merkin flag! Too trivial for a teapot, even; maybe a tempest in a teasoon.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Ooooh, the Holy 'Merkin flag! Too trivial for a teapot, even; maybe a tempest in a teasoon.

You sure about your description?

mer·kinˈmərkən/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• an artificial covering of hair for the pubic area.

Never realized that merkins had a flag.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Excellent, a new word, and a very good one!! I never knew that! And who in the world would want a wig for down there?

Good God, you can actually buy them from Amazon!

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

A merkin and a codpiece...a regular fashion statement.
    PaulF

Merkins ARE a flag!
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Well done Norm! The faux outrage from the right you spurred is quite remarkable.

Just goes to show that fishing is easy with the right bait.

Now if we could only get those hooked to see how silly they look/sound...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Merkins ARE a flag!
    A false flag, as it were. (or weren't )
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    A false flag, as it were. (or weren't )
    Beat me to it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Excellent, a new word, and a very good one!! I never knew that! And who in the world would want a wig for down there?

Good God, you can actually buy them from Amazon!

There is a local business called Merkin's Cleaners (An unfortunate family name apparently...) I snigger to myself in the car every time the ad comes on the radio.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Well done Norm! The faux outrage from the right you spurred is quite remarkable.
    I'd describe it as 'expected'.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Now if we could only get those hooked to see how silly they look/sound...
    An impossible task. Once a head is wedged, it's impossible to extract it.

Why are you here on this thread, dtc? You came in just to pick a fight with me. You don't have a dog in this hunt.

Consensus building is a tired old saw. Quit pulling on it.
    Oh dear. I seem to have got into Sky Blue's head!

Dear SB - do you remember when you were a devoted student of "British culture"? That was before you hoisted your true colours. Well, sweetie, I'm a devoted student of "American culture". Sorry if you don't like it, but there it is. But, of course, you don't care, do you? (Tell that to the marines!)

Good wine too!

Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

“We will take America without firing a shot…we do not have to invade the United States, we will destroy you from within.” - Nikita Krushchev, Nov. 18, 1956