Thread: Dory lug sail

Default Dory lug sail

My question concerns storing the lug sail in the boat when its not being used. I tried rolling it around the boom but it only works until you hit the foot of the yard. Do I have to take the yard off? any opinions and experience is appreciated.

Default Re: Dory lug sail

I'd fold it instead of rolling it, and use gaskets to keep it from unfolding.

I roll mine and slightly adjust the angle so i end with a slightly loose end and a more tight end, the last bit of the roll direction perpendicular to the yard.

Put tapered concertina folds in like a fan until the two spars are parallel and then roll or fold with the last fold large enough to warp round the furled sail and yard.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

So, I guess I don't understand how you could fold the sail out on the water. It was folded when I bought it, maybe you mean long term storage. I'm more interested in how to store in the boat when you take the sail down and go to rowing.

On the water, lay the yard parallel to the boom and pull the slack out under the yard until you have a nice triangle which you can then roll furl with the yard. How you do that depends on whether you leave the sheet attached. You can start with the yard and roll things up neatly. I kind of know how big the triangle needs to be, from doing this on land where it is easy to stretch the sail so you have the yard and the boom parallel and a big doubled over triangle of sail sticking above the yard. I flip the triangle down onto the sail and start rolling. Try it on land a few times to get the feel of it because on the water everything is bunched up.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

anywhere the sail would rest on a hard surface/spot when rolled AROUND the spars would be a chafing point and would ultimately hole the sail

lay the spars parallel to one another and roll the fabric up to them

once the fabric is rolled simply lash it with the sheet or bungees to the spars and store with only the spars touching any hard surfaces to prevent damaging the fabric

back in THE DAY you could tell the Sunfish sailors who used this method from the ones who roled their sails around the spars by the little holes or lack thereof in the sails

no holes in my sails ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I agree, but the OP needs to do this on the water where it is hard to neatly lay things out. Most lug yards have no hardware, only a loop of line where the mast traveler gets hooked so there is no hard spot. On the water the bundle is pretty slack, not a harbor furl. For over the road my furls of any kind are pretty loose because the sail and yards go into a long bag.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

I do it exactly as Ben says. Works for me, and I'm a bit of a lubber.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Did you have your sail bag made or do it yourself? My dory is 17 foot and my boom is about 130 inches long, I suppose the bag would have to be fairly large to get the whole sail with boom and yard.

Thanks for the info, I do have a cleat on my boom for the outhaul so, thats a concern. This sail cost a pretty penny, so I want it to last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by altfj View Post
    Did you have your sail bag made or do it yourself? My dory is 17 foot and my boom is about 130 inches long, I suppose the bag would have to be fairly large to get the whole sail with boom and yard.
    I made rig bags for 3 sprit rigs which took mast, sprit and sail from really inexpensive super slippery fabric years ago and these are still going strong. For my lug rig the sailmaker made a bag long enough to take yard and sail. Big enough diameter that I can also slide oars and my mizzen in it for a nice easy trailerable bundle. I usually do rig on a roof rack so I don't have to spend time sorting out padding the rig in the boat for the trailer. Mast can go on a roof rack as well.
    Ben Fuller

I fold rather than roll, as Nick suggests, then use inexpensive bungee widgets to keep things neat. Quick, and easy whether on the water or on land. Like Ben, the whole thing goes into a cover for over the road....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk