Thread: Hail in Austrailia...

Default Hail in Austrailia...

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Hail in Austrailia...

Not regular but they happen. Hail damaged cars are not an uncommon sight in Australia.
    One hail storm, in 2002 i think, sent tennis ball sized hail through the roofs of an entire suburb, Randwick. It took a couple of years to get them all repaired, it was like a tent city for a long time.

The word hail brings goose pumps up in people, out come the mattresses onto the cars in the driveway

I've seen close to golf ball sized hail, but i'd be concerned in tennis ball sized. phew!
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

I remember hail stones punching through the roof of my grandmothers house and bouncing around the loungeroom. A mate of mine in Orbost in Victoria said that one hailstone smashed through the front door of his elderly neighbors house, bounced down the hall way, across the living room and took out the glass front of her display cabinet. He reckoned that storm did several million dollars worth of damage and didn't make the evening news! JayInOz

I used to hate hail particularly when I was growing small crops. One hail storm meant no income for a minimum of 7 weeks .

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Peter when I was a young bloke I had Muscovy ducks- amongst a lot of other stuff- One duck was covering her large brood beside their pond when a hail storm hit- she made a run for cover and the little ones took off after her- the first one died right where they started, the last one almost made it to the shed- but none of them survived. When a hailstorm hit my stepsons place in Wollongong, he put a large inverted wok on his head and went for a walk- the neighbours reckoned it was funny as, but said they wondered how he put up with the noise JayInOz

In 1996 I was in Singleton, NSW, when a really devastating hail storm hit the town. Fortunately, I was at Singleton Heights, just a few kms out of the town centre, and we missed most of it. The hospital was evacuated, at least two schools were put out of action through shattered glass and water damage, and very many houses and cars were severely damaged. The bill exceeded $100m. People were injured but, miraculously, given the extent of the damage, no one was killed. I don't anyone caught in the open where the storm was most severe, could have survived. Car windscreens were completely caved in, roof tiles were smashed, some houses were stripped of paint! I inspected Singleton Public School just after the storm and just couldn't believe the scene. Every tree was completely stripped of leaves. The playground was knee-deep in leaves and twigs. The eastern side of the school looked as if it had been machine-gunned. Every window was smashed and there was water, glass, ice and debris covering the desks and floors of all eastern classrooms. All equipment in the administration area was destroyed. It was truly amazing.

Rick

Rick I was working on a big station- Dad was the boss. On Monday morning the main topic of conversation was the big hail storm that had hit over the weekend. One of the blokes I worked with- Les Campbell- reckoned that he was on his way to Mudgee in "the Holden"- his old red ute that he loved. He said he happened to glance in the mirror and saw the hail storm closing in behind him- just a wall of white, so he floored it and tried to outrun the storm. Dad asked him if he managed to stay in front and Les replied "Only just- when I got to town there was no ice on the bonnet but the back was full to the top!" Another of his yarns was about the big Murray Cod that he caught on a set line, tied to a rubber springer hung on a tree root above the water. Les reckoned as he walked down the river he could hear a big splash repeated every minute or so. He said the fish was jumping high out of the water trying to knock the springer off the root. Les said "I dunno how long that fish had been trying, but the sweat was just runnin' off 'im!" JayInOz

Rick

When we were briefly living in Sydney a hail storm took out the tiled roof, punched round holes through window panes and generally created havoc at our rented house. In earlier years, pre-children, we were at a farmhouse south of Adelaide when hail hit. The woman who owned the place ran out into the hail to grab some to show family how big it had been. She kept throwing it out and going out after bigger bits as the storm got darker, and eventually settled on some that were a little bit smaller than cricket balls. Her head, especially her face was streaked with rain and blood from the hailstone wounds. At its height the noise of the hail on the corrugated steel roof was so loud we couldn't hear each other shouting.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Proving that hail causes brain damage!

Rick