Thread: Aged Gouda

Default Aged Gouda

what’s on your plate?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: Aged Gouda

Seriously sharp aged cheddar at the moment.

Tricolour pasta with kale, collard greens, and spinach in tomato sauce, topped with Cholula hot sauce (affectionately known as "hot pie sauce" around our house) and grated parmesan cheese. Dessert was four carrot-cake flavoured Hershey kisses, which are as weird as they sound... but tasty.

(And Oystagirl just pulled out some Isle of Man extra-old cheddar. Mmmmmm.)
    Last edited by Flying Orca; 03-08-2018 at 09:40 PM.

What are you doing about it?

I'm about to cook up an Italian pasta/shrimp dish. It'll be served with grated romano.

I came home for lunch today for a sandwich: avocado, salami, & ham on toasted rye. Then one side was slid under the broiler with medium cheddar on top. The medium melts better than the extra-sharp I was tempted to use.

I also picked up some interesting hard sheeps-milk cheese at the cheesemonger's. Don't know exactly what I'll do with it yet.

Thought about some smoked gouda - one of my perennial faves.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I also picked up some interesting hard sheeps-milk cheese at the cheesemonger's. Don't know exactly what I'll do with it yet.
    Saganaki?
    Last edited by Flying Orca; 03-08-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: linky

Our favorite. Nice crystals and a good bite
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Saganaki?
    I think it'll be too intensely flavorful to make into a side-dish all on its own. I'll likely find something (pasta?) what will provide a background for it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I had a few chunks of a nice Parmesan cheese, drizzled in a little olive oil for a snack earlier.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I like a mozarella string cheese stick with my Sweet As Pacific Ale. Or two.

I'm on a diet. I'm only allowed to eat dirt (with a little salt).
    When I cheat, I like a nice Finlandia Swiss.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I wish I could eat gouda.. fine aged cheeses give me migraines
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'm on a diet. I'm only allowed to eat dirt (with a little salt).
    When I cheat, I like a nice Finlandia Swiss.
    What about twigs & moss? My past diets have at least allowed twigs and moss...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

No plate but there's about 11 gallons of sap boiled down into maple syrup on my stove right now. God I hope the season isn't over yet. I want more sap.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    No plate but there's about 11 gallons of sap boiled down into maple syrup on my stove right now. God I hope the season isn't over yet. I want more sap.
    I usually buy only small quantities of maple syrple... and dole it out with an eye-dropper. Some friends just give us 3 quarts+, and I have been in hog heaven. Hard to imagine using it on cheese, though...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I miss "REAL" fresh moots (mozzarella) tossed to me by Mimo at DePalmas. A little good balsamic & EVOO, some heirlooms, fresh basil chiffonade, with fresh crusty bread.

But a good aged gouda with the flavor 'Crystals', a nice bartlett pear and a good Barolo - yum
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I once stopped off, while driving to Dresden from France, at my girlfriends insistence, in Gouda so we could buy some .... Gouda.
    I tried to explain that you could buy the same Gouda anywhere in Europe, but we took the detour and bought a couple of balls.
    Cost us a few hours and I can't remember the cheese. It was a staple when i lived in the Netherlands previously, so never thought of as special.

You may know, but the pronunciation of Gouda involves coughing up phlegm on the 'G', and the 'OU' is pronouced as per the word 'out' or 'ow - as in ouch', - so something like "chhhghhh-owda" (cough/spit - followed by "No friends, please come back, i wasn't being rude i promise").

Personal preference, sharp as hell cheddar, ripe cashel blue, any runny rind cheese from the middle of France with baguette. Cold beer.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

When you are in Holland next time, try 'Beemster Kaas', or 'Boeren Kaas'. It is usually superior to 'Goudse Kaas'. That name was vitually unprotected and the quality suffered.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

We can get good cheeziez in Sint Maarten and French islands. Down south in the British islands.... not so much. Good thing I’m not a foodie.

Take a look at the cellars at Jasper hill, fro mere in VT. They make some nice cheeses, and they ship.
    As to dinner; last night, rib lamb chops (local) potatoes and stewed tomatoes; tonight steak and kidney pie (also local) and peas

I have just discovered a new cheese merchant, with a stall in our town market on Thursdays, who carries some seriously nice Cheddar. I was never an enthusiast for Cheddar, before, but I think I am being converted.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I have just discovered a new cheese merchant, with a stall in our town market on Thursdays, who carries some seriously nice Cheddar. I was never an enthusiast for Cheddar, before, but I think I am being converted.
    I love, and have an ecumenical approach to, cheese. But if I had to pick just one to eat exclusively for my whole life... it'd be cheddar. Hopefully, I wouldn't be limited to one level of aging... as I like everything from medium to extra sharp - depending upon the application.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Umm. Yes. So have I. I am generally inclined to think that there are no bad cheeses, just some very boring ones and some very smelly ones. But I think that I might now be persuaded to agree about Cheddar.

But I am also starting to discover Stilton.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Umm. Yes. So have I. I am generally inclined to think that there are no bad cheeses, just some very boring ones and some very smelly ones. But I think that I might now be persuaded to agree about Cheddar.

If you can track down the Irish extra-old cheddar known as "The Craic", you will probably find it worth your while. I'm not a fan of blue cheeses, but white Stilton can be delicious - we had a white Stilton with mangos and ginger a couple of weeks ago that was smashing.

Mmmmmmm... Stilton...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    It's beyond good. But quite spendy... so I've only treated myself a few times.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

You guys gotta stop this. I'm thinking of a nice slice of a local cheese and a pork and apple pie from the market with a pint of ale and I'm nowhere near close enough to the sources.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

My family has settled into an evening ritual which involves one (only!) of the following:

A pint of good beer from a Victorian pewter mug

A mug of extremely good cocoa, with rum, drunk through thick cream in the manner of an Irish Coffee

A glass of port, biscuits and a good cheese.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I used to eat Humbolt Fog (or any good Blue cheese) with a spoon, a baquette and a glass of Port wine. Until they were gone...

Today the Doc says it's not so good for me (actual words were No - you can't eat that!) and I miss it!

" Each serving of blue cheese also contains 8.2 grams of fat, including 5.3 grams of saturated fat. This type of harmful fat negatively affects your cholesterol levels, and following a diet rich in saturated fat threatens your cardiovascular health"

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I used to eat Humbolt Fog (or any good Blue cheese) with a spoon, a baquette and a glass of Port wine. Until they were gone...

Today the Doc says it's not so good for me (actual words were No - you can't eat that!) and I miss it!

" Each serving of blue cheese also contains 8.2 grams of fat, including 5.3 grams of saturated fat. This type of harmful fat negatively affects your cholesterol levels, and following a diet rich in saturated fat threatens your cardiovascular health"
    Yeah, well. That. Uhm.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward