Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap jointer/thicknesser combo - good idea or rubbish?

Default Re: Cheap jointer/thicknesser combo - good idea or rubbish?

That Jet doesn’t require the fence to be removed. The tables flip up and the dust hood flips from below to above the cutter head.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7q3lpw_XLM
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 10-27-2018 at 09:58 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I'm not a fan of flip-up jointer tables since I watched a guy (in the shop next door) piss around for a week, trying to get a MiniMax(junior SCM)aligned to his satisfaction.

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    I'm not a fan of flip-up jointer tables since I watched a guy (in the shop next door) piss around for a week, trying to get a MiniMax(junior SCM)aligned to his satisfaction.

R
    jerking around under the jointer bed would be a no go for me, plus all the ones that don't flip up have too short jointer tables imo

those minmax machines aren't cheap, there's no excuse for one to need that much setup work

hell that jet is is either $2500 or $4500 depending upon if you go with knives or helical cutter head

the decision for me wouldn't be based upon cost savings of two independent machines but rather one of making the most of limited shop space

i have a really well running older 8" x 72" Delta, but am seriously unhappy with my 'old ahrn Delta thicknesser' and am about ready to ****can it
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I'm pretty sure it was bent from improper transport and buddy was pretty OCD
    It also had an ungodly howl.

What's wrong with the Delta?
    IIRC we had a 15" with a canted head that made trapezoids.
    It got traded before I worked there.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I sold my really fine 12" longbed jointer and a 20" planer when I was able to purchase a used Felder 16" Jointer/Planer. Foremost was the floor space savings, but Felder is an Austrian company that builds really well engineered and executed machines. I had purchased a Felder Shaper and Bandsaw when the boat yard was in full swing, so when I saw this used unit becaome available I jumped at it.
    The fence has to be away from the back edge of the jointer table, and I have rigged the dust collection hose so it does not have to be disconnected when flipping the dust chute from jointer to planer mode, and the planer table has to be lowered to about 7" to flip the hood. The power up and down for the table really helps.
    All in all, I can switch modes in less than a minute. The savings in floor space and the incredible performance of this machine easily outweigh the time to switch modes.
    the only thing it did not have was a helical head, but the Tersa knives can be changed out very quickly with no need to adjust cutting height, this is a precision machine in every way, premium price but what a joy to use.