Thread: Women helping women - win public office

Default Women helping women - win public office

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...45454?cmpid=sf

Kirsten Gillibrand, the junior senator from New York, had a great night Tuesday — in Texas.
    The Democrat went out on a limb in a state far from home — she endorsed or contributed to seven female candidates in contested congressional primaries from El Paso to Houston — and came out with an unblemished record.

Two of the women Gillibrand endorsed, Veronica Escobar and Sylvia Garcia, won their primaries outright and are poised to become the state’s first Latina representatives in Congress in their heavily Democratic districts.

The other five — Lillian Salerno, M.J .Hegar, Gina Ortiz Jones, Laura Moser and Elizabeth Fletcher — all advanced to May runoff elections by finishing either first or second in their primaries.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Women helping women - win public office

Women helping women is a great thing, not that men shouldn't be helping female candidates as well. A retired MP and MLA whom I know from board work and other professional connections recently partnered with a couple of colleagues from the other two big parties to start a Manitoba chapter of Equal Voice, a non-partisan non-profit dedicated to equal representation of women in Canadian political office; we ran into each other at a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago and had a good chat about it. I'm tempted to wonder whether the trend toward higher university graduation rates for women will help bring more women into politics; it seems to have done so for the civil service, at least in the departments with whom I work. Anyone know if it's the same in the US?

What are you doing about it?