Thread: She is laughing at you!

Default She is laughing at you!

Alexa's 'creepy' laugh fixed, says Amazon!

Amazon has taken action after users of its digital assistant Alexa reported it randomly laughing, leading some to feel "freaked out."Owners of Amazon Echo devices with the voice-enabled assistant had reported hearing it laugh at unexpected moments, with some calling the sound "really creepy."

@CaptHandlebar posted on Twitter: "So Alexa decided to laugh randomly while I was in the kitchen. Freaked @SnootyJuicer and I out. I thought a kid was laughing behind me."

In a statement, Amazon said: "In rare circumstances, Alexa can mistakenly hear the phrase 'Alexa, laugh.' We are changing that phrase to be 'Alexa, can you laugh?' which is less likely to have false positives, and we are disabling the short utterance 'Alexa, laugh.'"

"We are also changing Alexa's response from simply laughter to 'Sure, I can laugh' followed by laughter," it added. The company says the fix has already been rolled out.

Like Apple's Siri, Alexa is a responsive digital assistant built into several Amazon devices. It is activated by saying the word "Alexa" or "Amazon," then a command like "play music." But some users reported that the laughter occurred without Alexa being prompted to wake.

@kylefitzy8 summed up many users' response, posting: "WHY DID MY ALEXA JUST LAUGH OUT OF THE BLUE?!?!?!?

Like Apple's Siri, Alexa is a responsive digital assistant built into several Amazon devices. It is activated by saying the word "Alexa" or "Amazon", then a command like "play music".

But some users reported that the laughter occurred without Alexa being prompted to wake.
    Having an office conversation about pretty confidential stuff and Alexa just laughed. Anybody else ever have that?

It didn't chime as if we had accidentally triggered her to wake. She simply just laughed. It was really creepy.

David Woodland (@DavidSven) March 1, 2018
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: She is laughing at you!

I am quite enjoying being somewhat of a Luddite these days. I no not see a need for Siri, Alexa, Cortana or any other digital nag.
    Steve Martinsen

Alexa has never laughed at me.

I con only conclude that those who she laughed at... deserved to be laughed at. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Alexa has never laughed at me.

I con only conclude that those who she laughed at... deserved to be laughed at. <G>
    She only laughs when aroused.. sorry Dave.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    She only laughs when aroused.. sorry Dave.
    No... she 'giggles' when aroused. Errrr... or so I've heard.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    No... she 'giggles' when aroused. Errrr... or so I've heard.
    ALEXA!!!..open the bathroom door!!!! I can't do that Dave...it threatens the mission...hehehehe.
    PaulF