Thread: LYS Transom bolt holes

Default LYS Transom bolt holes

I am getting ready to drill the holes in my LYS transom for the motor bolts. Should I epoxy the insides of the holes? and then use a sealant ?...which type of sealant?....Its such an obvious spot for water intrusion....not sure what is the best approach.
    Comments please.
    Thanks

Default Re: LYS Transom bolt holes

For me, allowing epoxy to soak into the end grain inside the holes until it will take no more woul provide a sufficient way to inhibit water intrusion. Install the bolts with fender washers and generous application of sealant.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Some folks bore outsized holes, fill with thickened epoxy and then rebore the smaller correct size. Personally I like to put a few coats of neat epoxy in the hole and bed the whole works in your sealer of choice.

The safest method is to drill the holes oversize (like double diameter), then coat the edges with unthickened epoxy. Once that has at least partially cured, fill the holes with thickened epoxy and let cure. Drill for the fastener and you're good to go.

I'm not familiar with the details of the LYS design -- what exactly do you mean by "motor bolts"? Most of the photos seem to show outboards mounted by tightening their clamps on a wooden or metal plate attached to a notch in the transom.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Maybe make sure the engine is at a height that is best first. The difference of a paint stir stick up or down can change characteristics .

Thornes method is the way to go. Seal then endgrain with epoxy until it wont take any more and then fill with thickened epoxy. The epoxy will seal the endgrain and the thickened plug will act as a bushing and prevent the endgrain from crushing when the bolts shift around and work; which they will.
    I like chopped glass cloth for the thickener.

Thorne...Im hanging a new Yam 25 hp four stroke on it and it gets bolted on thru the transom as opposed to say an older 2 stroke clamp on.

Many thanks to all for the guidance.

I'll post finished pics in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog99 View Post
    Thorne...Im hanging a new Yam 25 hp four stroke on it and it gets bolted on thru the transom as opposed to say an older 2 stroke clamp on.
    How can that possibly work for trailering? I don't think those LYS boats are like the heavy commercial fiberglass boats that leave outboards attached during trailering, and it sure seems like it would tend to either break the frames or hog the bottom after a few bouncy trips...
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Your point about the boat is well taken; the transom needs to be well-tied into the boat. But a 25 weighs about 130 pounds, who could lift it on and off regularly anyway?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thorne...Thats an excellent question that I can't answer since this is my first build.
    My boat will be stored about 50 yards from the ramp so I'm not too concerned.
    Based on everything I've read both on the forum and off, the LYS is heavily built and quite durable.
    My skiff will have two transom braces with the 6 gal gas tank tank braced in between them.
    It would be great though if other LYS owners who trailer frequently could weigh in on this concern and let us know if they have had any issues.
    One of the main reasons I chose this motor other than reputation and availability of service, is that it's the lightest 25 hp 4 stroke available. It weighs a little more than say a 80's-90's vintage 2 stroke 25 hp, but not much.
    Per your point, for longer trips one of the many transom saver products would be a good idea.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

FWIW, my small lightweight boats with relatively big engines sit on the trailer and only touch at three points. Two at the transom itself, not just forward of the transom . The third is the bow eye to the winch, which lifts the bow UP , not down , this forcing the transom to press into the two bunks , and not dent the hull. The hull only sits on the bunks for the few moments of launch and haul out.
    Extra tie downs if I make a long trip , but the boat still only touches in three points.

My brother trailers a LYS every day 9 months of the year with a 40hp 4 stroke. Never had a problem with the transom. He is commercial fisherman and does not baby the skiff.

Great - it sounds like the LYS is built heavily enough to handle being trailered with the outboard attached, so no worries. I'd build or buy some sort of extra support for the trailer if it doesn't brace the transom firmly.

Hunky Dory, that is really good to hear regarding your brothers LYS...One less thing to worry about!

And once again, thanks to all for your interest and advice.

I have reinforced holes in a wood/epoxy structure by drilling oversize and then epoxy-gluing a piece of copper tubing of the proper ID into the hole. Made the tubing length just a hair shy of the wood thickness, to make sure it wouldn't stand proud. Cleaned and roughened the outside of the copper before gluing. This has worked well for me on holes seeing regular assembly/disassembly.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Seadog,

On my LYS I used the method Thorne described: drill oversize, fill with thickened epoxy, drill fastener hole after epoxy cures. I will be using a "transom saver" to brace the engine when on the trailer. Basically a bar that attaches at trailer and supports the raised lower unit of the motor.

I am still finishing and rigging, so no real world usage reports but this seems the best way to do it.

John

My own approach to sealing bolt holes is to use several applications of thin shellac. It penetrates well, drys fast and is inexpensive.
    Jay