Thread: This Toad Was Found Hopping Around With No Face And We're Freaking Out

Default This Toad Was Found Hopping Around With No Face And We're Freaking Out

This Toad Was Found Hopping Around With No Face And We're Freaking Out (ARTICLE LINK)

IMAGE: Jill Fleming/Twitter

Excerpt
    Here's another one to chalk up to "nature, you freaky" - an adult toad found in a forest in Connecticut gave researchers a shock when they realised it was crawling about with no face.

Yep. No eyes, no nostrils, no jaw, and no tongue.

Just a faceless toad, bumbling into things, including the researchers' feet, according to University of Massachusetts herpetologist Jill Fleming, who found the toad in 2016.

She recently took to Twitter for an explanation of how the toad might have obtained such a bizarre injury.

Still puzzled by this find from 2016! An apparently "faceless" toad. Kept hopping into things. Had a small mouth hole- maybe esphogus/glottis (no maxilla or mandible, I think)? It was early spring so I think it must have come out of brumation like this. Any thoughts herp Twitter? pic.twitter.com/bFSLlakhs1

Jill Fleming (@salamander_jill) February 27, 2018

There were no signs of an open wound, but the American toad's (Anaxyrus americanus) facelessness had to have been acquired, since it lacked the mouthparts for feeding, and there is no way (that we know of) that it could have survived to adulthood in that condition.

"My initial thought, which I still believe is a likely explanation, was that the extensive injury was inflicted by one of the toad's many natural predators during hibernation (for example, garter snakes or American mink)," Fleming told National Geographic.

"For whatever reason, the predator did not finish the job and the toad was able to become active again on that early spring day - amphibians are incredibly resilient."
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: This Toad Was Found Hopping Around With No Face And We're Freaking Out

Weird !

There were no signs of an open wound, but the American toad's (Anaxyrus americanus) facelessness had to have been acquired, since it lacked the mouthparts for feeding, and there is no way (that we know of) that it could have survived to adulthood in that condition.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: This Toad Was Found Hopping Around With No Face And We're Freaking Out

I doubt it was a garter snake. A mink maybe chewed it off and it healed over the winter.

My guess would be edge of a spade. I remember talking to American knappers years ago who reckoned they'd seen rocks broken open to reveal live frogs living in a small pocket in the middle of the stone, with no visible fracture or crevice or any other way they could have got in there. There was lively debate about it being a hoax, but some fairly well respected people claimed it was true. I'd forgotten about it- should look into again I reckon. JayInOz

I will never hibernate the same way again.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Were they reliable, adult knappers or just kid knappers?
    Last edited by David W Pratt; 03-08-2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Autocorrect

Plagues of bumbling faceless toads.

One of the potential signs of the Apocalypse which is genuinely horrifying in concept, but which didn't play out too well in the beta-testing.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    What in the hell is an American knapper. It sounds like you can't believe a word they say. Unless, it really is the end times.
    The colonial version of the English trade that makes gunflints and so on from flint.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The colonial version of the English trade that makes gunflints and so on from flint.
    Giving us the term "flinty eyed", no doubt.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    What in the hell is an American knapper. It sounds like you can't believe a word they say. Unless, it really is the end times.
    Please have a look at these pictures. Outstanding examples of knapping- much of it done by Americans. The sort of stuff I've been doing for the past twenty years. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1343&bih=614 JayInOz
    Last edited by JayInOz; 03-08-2018 at 09:23 PM.

And here's some historical cases of live amphibians in stone- https://www.thoughtco.com/animals-se...-stone-2593892 JayInOz