Thread: Hacker MISS APBA

Default Hacker MISS APBA

First I would like to thank all of you out there for the collective knowledge, long time reader. I have never posted before but I have read many of your journeys in boat building. Oh and Wooden Boat magazine thanks, for my whole life I have found inspiration and knowledge from your pages. I have a project that you all might find interesting. I am a life long woodworker from the first time I was taught to sharpen edge tools I knew I had found my passion. Creating woodwork has been a rewarding, challenging and humbling effort. My philosophy building has always been to accept ever more demanding projects and learn constantly from each endeavor, and to evolve as a woodworker. From a sign maker to a cabinet maker to a furniture designer/maker and now as a boatbuilder. I am truly grateful for the opportunity to make ever more complicated shapes out of wood. Lately I have been restoring all types of runabouts Chris Crafts , Hackers , Grevvette's , Dodge's etc. There is lots still to learn.
    In 1922 John Hacker published in Motor Boating Build A Boat series MISS APBA and this is what I'm going to build I've lowered the sheer a bit and changed the front deck but essentially the same boat. Here are some preliminary sketches. I admire this man immensely he is credited with bringing into the world the semi displacement hull, designed for most of the manufacturers of his day and in my mind a genus. With great respect I go forward hopefully bringing something John Hacker would be proud of.
    First things first loft full size, I have always been a bit intimidated by lofting but after reading up and refreshing the old gray matter I dove in and it really was a rewarding and informative task. During the process I mocked up the power I will be installing and ensured it would fit in the lower deck. It does get a bit busy though. A strong back was built and stringers offered up. Lots of frames, and a bent lamination for the transom. I decided to laminate the stem as well, from restoration work all the short grain in the water with a stem gripe arrangement is a week and rot prone area i'd like to avoid. Hind sight it was a lot of work but I'm happy with the results and look forward to see how it ages. Laid in the keel and lately I've been working on the chines this is where I am today working on fitting the starboard inner chine.
    Now to figure out how to post photos have I mentioned I'm a bit of a Luddite ...
    28516471_181464042633001_4799763316828703934_o.jpg
    Last edited by Seth K; 03-09-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Default Re: Hacker MISS APBA

And this is where I'm at ...
    IMG_6423.jpg
    IMG_6296.jpg

Well, this certainly looks like a potentially very-cool thread. Thanks for posting, Seth. I will follow along as you post your progress.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thank you for sharing your project, looking forward to seeing your progress on this beautiful boat! Subscribed. Pete.

Looks like beautiful work so far! Doug

glad to see the Japanese chisel, looks like a cool project!

Coollll!!!!!!! I will second what Mike said (MMD). Looking forward to seeing her progress.

Nice start, looking forward to seeing more!
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I love the flare of the bow, looking forward to every update of the project.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Good luck along the way.

A couple more photos because.
    .image1.jpg
    image1-1.jpg
    image3.jpg

Beautiful work, nice clean shop...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone... Olad I was taught early that if you were scratching your head you mind as we'll be cleaning up. Skegemob I've had that chisel for ever it's a favorite..
    Ok so I have been looking into a strut so I can put some short frames in where they need to be and I'm coming into a bit of a pickle I have tried Buck Algonquin and Glenwood and neither have an appropriate sized strut. Does anyone out there have any suggestions. Also pro's and con's of a manufactured stainless [welded] strut vs. a poured bronze. Thanks again...
    APBA Screenshot.jpg
    algonquin strut base 2.jpg

Other than the appearance (not vintage looking) I canít think of any reason not to go with fabricated S.S. Strut. It will be stronger and less likely to bend with the HP. Lots of raceboats run welded S.S. Struts.

Here is an example of what a welded strut can look like (you can sort of see it), and that abuse they can take.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nedL; 03-20-2018 at 06:31 PM.