Thread: 1894 G L Watson Cutter

Default 1894 G L Watson Cutter

I love this boat, just missing that spare $400k!

[IMG]Gaff Cutter 1894 G L Watson by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1894 2 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]1894 3 by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

From the listing: "...this perfect Victorian cruiser racer offers a competent owner the opportunity to step back in time, into the shoes of her illustrious designer, who created her at the very peak of his career - the year after designing BRITANNIA for the Prince of Wales. Apart from her delightful clipper bow, her hull shape displays her as a miniature “Britannia”.

Default Re: 1894 G L Watson Cutter

Pretty. looks about the size of a 2 1/2 rater.
    We have a good fleet of similar boats here in NZ, Victorian and Edwardian boats of varying sizes.
    They have quite small value here because they can't leave ( historic artifacts) and therefore are limited to our market, which undervalues them tragically.
    I think that might be changing, but its slow.

Peggy Bawn is what just emerged from what remains of my memory bank.
    edit to edit. got sumpin right today anyway. a bit bigger than a 2 1/2 but with a 2 1/2 rig for cruising....

http://www.classicboat.co.uk/article...15-peggy-bawn/
    Last edited by John B; 03-07-2018 at 06:18 PM.

It's not that big.

Build it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    It's not that big.

Build it.
    Wow, am I ever tempted to dream up just such an endeavor.....perhaps naive enough to believe it possible. Thus far in my brief tenure in the hobby I have only worked from well thought-out plans by a still-living designer. How to even start? I was interested to find out that the G L Watson firm still exists, and (according to their website at https://www.glwatson.com/projects/to...s/#lightbox/0/ ) ""The G.L. Watson Archive includes hundreds of drawings of classic yacht designs which no longer exist but are available for re-building. Many of these are considered to be the most prestigious and admired designs of their era and are well suited to bere-built to join the expanding fleet of restored and rebuilt classic yachts.Our Archive Conservation Programme hasconsolidated, catalogued and digitised our collection of classic yacht designs, photographs,diaries, press cuttings anddocuments which have steadily amassed since the company’s founding in 1873. As well as G. L. Watson & Co. yacht designs,the archive also contains extensive and unique material by other designers including William Fife, Charles E. Nicholson andW. C. Storey. We also have unrivalled knowledge of material held in other collections."

Of course, they'd likely want to charge a princely sum to project manage and execute the build themselves, but I wonder....would they sell the plans to a naive dreamer with a sharp set of chisels, one boat (almost) under his belt, and a dream? It's a nice thought, but darn it I gotta finish the first boat first!

Ask them. They likely will. If they're still around, they likely don't make much money off old plans so what's the harm in asking? They'd likely be thrilled to sell a set to an amateur. A few bucks they never saw coming. I'd ask at the very least. My dream plans are purchased already, from the son of the designer who works as a designer himself. Now.... to finish the second boat so I can move on to the dream boat....
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-