Thread: Dory build

Default Dory build

Fitting out my dory and have a question concerning Anchor attachment spot and chocks. I have four nice bronze chocks that came off another boat and since I'm trying to use only bronze on this dory, thought I might use them, however, I'm not sure I need them. I have a bronze plate at the bow for the jib and figured I could just attach the anchor line there. Does anyone use chocks or cleats for the fenders? I also have a small bronze bollard that I could use for the anchor but, figured it was overkill. Opinions appreciated

Default Re: Dory build

Photos would help.

I hang fenders from a lanyard attached to the seat stringer.

If you run the anchor line thru a bow eye then thru a thimble on a lanyard you can deploy and retrieve the anchor from midshps which is a much more stable position to work from. If you do that you can tie off the anchor/sea anchor line at the seat stringer.

Just haul the anchor line back to midships with the lanyard then haul in the anchor while tossing the line back over the side to avoid snarls. Once the anchor is in the bilge haul the anchor line in thru the bow eye and store it in a bucket.

You can avoid the lanyard if you carry a boat hook, or just use an oar to scull yourself around to where you can reach over the side to grab the anchor line (provided it's a floating line), but the lanyard is much easier, especially when it's bumpy.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 03-07-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Peerie Maa has a bow chock and a pin through a timber to belay the rode.
    finished 006.jpgstraps 026.jpg

A variation on Gib's method is to have a painter attached to the stem that reaches back to amidships. You pay out as much anchor rode as the depth requires, then tie off the painter to the rode. A rolling hitch would be favourite. You then pay out more rode until she is riding to the painter. Recovery us simply hauling in the anchor rode until you can cast off the painter. You then continue to recover everything in to the boat. The benefit is no bow chock and no chafe.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote...

"A variation on Gib's method is to have a painter attached to the stem that reaches back to amidships. You pay out as much anchor rode as the depth requires, then tie off the painter to the rode. A rolling hitch would be favourite. You then pay out more rode until she is riding to the painter. Recovery us simply hauling in the anchor rode until you can cast off the painter. You then continue to recover everything in to the boat. The benefit is no bow chock and no chafe.[/QUOTE]"

Hey, I LIKE that! Thanks Nick.

Simpler is better.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 03-07-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Hey, I LIKE that! Thanks Nick.

Simpler is better.
    A refinement is a cleat to hold the anchor rode whilst you make off or untie the rolling hitch.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The bow chocks are a great idea, and I have them on my dory skiff. Don't like excess cleats or chocks as they can snag lines and sheets, so exercise restraint and don't install it just because you have it (and I've been there, done that).

Here you can see the bowline lead aft through the starboard chock -
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.