Thread: Hinges for Butterfly Skylight/Hatch...

Default Hinges for Butterfly Skylight/Hatch...

Hi!

(My very first post at WoodenBoat, I tried to search the topic first.)

I own a 1931 Stephens Brothers motor yacht. I started renovating the butterfly skylight/hatch. It used a "piano hinge" that was mounted external on top, not inside, this was very functional, but not a great look. Please see photo.

Now I am looking for alternatives. Simplest would be to use a piano hinge inside, between the frame and the window. I have seen this in some threads in this forum.

I want to ask if there are other traditional hinges that I should be looking at?

Thanks,
    per
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Hinges for Butterfly Skylight/Hatch...

There are butterfly hatch hinges designed for that task. Google them, but they'll be a bit pricy. Piano hinges are not usually made of material that will weather the seas so I'd advise against using them. Plus, they look "off" as you noted. Here's an image of one stolen from the net.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Pete Langly at the Port Townsend Foundry makes them.
    Jay

While I agree proper hinges are nicer looking, the hatch would pretty much have to be built around the dimensions of the hinge. Piano hinges remove that complication, and are available with S.S. 'hinge pins' or wire, which is the typical downfall of the 'wrong' ones.

Agreed, one reason why I have yet to build any hatches, I don't have the hinges yet. Once I find 3 sets of hinges, I can buy them and start on some hatches.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

You're looking in the $100/hinge range if that's what you're looking for. Saw them for about $90 just now online. google around and you'll find something you like. They come bronze as well as chromed if that's what you prefer.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    While I agree proper hinges are nicer looking, the hatch would pretty much have to be built around the dimensions of the hinge. Piano hinges remove that complication, and are available with S.S. 'hinge pins' or wire, which is the typical downfall of the 'wrong' ones.
    They're also available in full brass, or full bronze. And yes... beware the 'marine' hardware that includes mild steel hinge pins, etc.

I can understand the urge to change, but really, unless leakiness inspires a rebuild... I probably wouldn't bother. But aesthetics are personal.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Jay
    +1 re: PTF
    Chuck Hancock

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Jay
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

oooooh! ^

Thanks for all replies.

Those traditional hinges are beautiful. In my case I believe they would interfere with the “bar frames”.

i think I am limited to 2-3” on the window side.

Yeah, looks like the hatch needs to be designed with the particular hinges to be used in mind from the beginning. I'd say find some bronze piano hinge and make sure there whole thing is bronze.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I did this thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=hatch

back in 2007. The miserable bastards at SONY closed down Imagestation and killed the images. I replaced them with, ha ha, Photobucket images. They are due to disappear this month or next. I'll put them in SMUGMUG and keep my fingers crossed.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

It took a while for the images to upload... but here's how I did it

I couldn't source pipe in bronze, so it had to be brass for the gutters. It's still fine 11 years later - but I probably should have chromed it, like the frames covering the glass inlays

The ventilation screen is replaceable with a solid insert

The design I used was in Woodenboat some years ago.... as detailed in the thread I linked. The glass is 1/2" tempered glass, IIRC.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Clever drain arrangement.

Where did you find quality piano hinges?

Thanks,
    per

the piano hinge on the inside really improves the look !

Quote Originally Posted by per_hammarlund View Post
    Clever drain arrangement.

Where did you find quality piano hinges?

Thanks,
    per
    I bought them from a local marine supplier. They are reasonable, but not brilliant quality. $10 a foot, available in three widths, all 1800mm long. Punched holes - 304 SS.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/hinge-piano-28mmx915

Mine have piano hinges, on the inner edges. Theyve always seemed a bit flimsy to me. I wonder why not use normal hinges?

Work is progressing. I am soon at the point of needing to “seat” the glass. Is there a definite reference thread on the best way to seat the glass in a hatch?

Pictures or it didn't happen.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

From my online perusing butyl tape seems to be the best sealant for most things. Whatever you do not use silicon.

That is a damn nice looking hatch.

OK, here are a few pictures, after first coat of penetrating epoxy.

The restoration approach I have taken is that everything that can be reused, will be reused, and so far so good.

Bar frames and trim cleaned up well, only a few pieces need to be glued together.

I have mended 87 years of screw holes from different kinds of hinges, I believe there has been at least 4 different kinds. I chose to use bungs, color/grain match is not perfect, but I still liked that better than sawing a rabbet and putting in a longer piece of wood along the line of screw holes.

I am putting on a few coats of penetrating epoxy before varnish. There are still some areas of wood discoloration, but as long as the wood is good, I rather live with the discoloration than losing the crispness of the shape. There are a few areas of over zealous sanding that have turned square edges round, I am leaving there as is.

Now some glorious sanding and varnishing.

pebr /> IMG_2453.jpg.IMG_2454.jpgIMG_2442.jpg