Thread: Long Island Maritime Museum.

Default Long Island Maritime Museum.

Iíve been wanting to visit this place for a while, but never had a long enough NY layover. Well this month I have 2, on the 22nd and again on the 29th.
    I plan on riding LIRR from Penn Station out to Sayville, and ubering over to the museum. Any reccomendstions on places for a late lunch or early dinner nearby?

Iíve heard itís a great venue for a catboat fan like myself.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Long Island Maritime Museum.

Ahh, ...Mark: I think you need to look up "Holzbt" (Roger Holzmacher) here. I believe he is very familar with the museum.

The museum is about a mile from the middle of town, with several good restaurants.

I've spent many happy hours at that museum! It is catboat heaven for a guy like you.
    The West Sayville Country Club (a public course operated by Suffolk County) is right next door and the club house is only a one minute walk from the museum. They have a restaurant there. It's where my son's wedding was held last June. Nice place.
    Enjoy!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hi Mark

I am scheduled to be away that week. If my plans change, maybe we could connect. I haven't been to the museum in a number of years.

As for restaurants, Main Street ( Montauk Highway) in Sayville has loads of places to eat from a diner to high-end restaurants. Cafe Joelle is pretty good for a " nice lunch."

Kevin

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hoping it’ll be open Friday and that the trains will be running. Somebody didn’t get the memo that it’s now spring.

Trains will be running Friday. There may be a few hours of suspended service tonight, but they'll run on Friday.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

PM me if you want me to pick you up at the station. Ronkonkoma works as well and might have more trains. I have a boat you might be interested in if you have the time.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    PM me if you want me to pick you up at the station. Ronkonkoma works as well and might have more trains. I have a boat you might be interested in if you have the time.

Jim
    Thanks Jim, I’d love to see it.
    Ill send you a PM once I’m on the train. First things first, gotta make it into EWR tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post

Jim
    Jim,

PM sent.

Had a great visit with Jim Ledger today and saw his incredible catboat project. I’m even more inspired to get to work on Catnapper.
    We also took a trip over to the LIMM. Great little collection and some beautiful,Great South Bay catboats.

One thing I do love about my job is getting to get to know forum members and see their projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Had a great visit with Jim Ledger today and saw his incredible catboat project. Iím even more inspired to get to work on Catnapper.
    We also took a trip over to the LIMM. Great little collection and some beautiful,Great South Bay catboats.

One thing I do love about my job is getting to get to know forum members and see their projects.

We'll have to do this again next time you get a layover in NYC, Mark. It was a pleasure to spend a day someone with so many shared interests. And the Norwegian stave church...thanks for that, I'd driven past it a hundred times with little more than a glance.

Jim

Glad you got together and made it there. I’ve thought it looks like an interesting place to visit. I think they have a couple of Verity skiffs, which would also interest me.