Thread: Car insurance

Default Car insurance

It often comes to my attention that a LOT of people are driving without insurance. Many without licenses.

I had the thought that liability insurance might be paid in the form of a gas tax. If one buys gas, one is contributing to a liability insurance fund

This would eliminate the 'uninsured motorist' who runs the light and damages your car. Collision and other insurance you'd have to buy from All State et al.

Thoughts?
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: Car insurance

In MA, you can't register a car without insurance, so you can't get plates. Obviously, there will be people who allow their insurance to lapse, just as there are people who might be driving on an expired or suspended license... I think they're called 'criminals'

I see that you're a NJ resident, right? I don't know how old you are, but when I was a teenager living in NJ, you didn't have to actually buy insurance, but in lieu of insurance, you were obligated to pay a fee ($80, as I recall) as an uninsured motorist... I guess it's not dissimilar to what you're suggesting. I haven't lived in NJ for 47 years, so I don't know how long that arrangement lasted.

I suspect that, if such an idea were adopted, the 'tax' on gas would be way larger than would be tolerated by the voters... and would be a huge penalty to out-of-state drivers, paying for coverage that, in their home states, they already pay for. By rough calculation, my auto insurance costs just about as much, as my annual cost of gasoline... the tax would have to be pretty severe, to cover the liabilities.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Mandatory in GA to register the car. Can’t get tags (plates) without it. That said a lot of people do let it lapse, but the cops have tag readers in their cars that’ll flag an uninsured motorist.

Better have uninsured motorist if you drive anything worth any $$.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I'm glad I live in a place where both drivers and vehicles have to be insured. We do get uninsured drivers stealing vehicles and joyriding, but the police are pretty good at identifying and stopping them, and both they and the judges tend to take a dim view of such shenanigans.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Mandatory in GA to register the car. Can’t get tags (plates) without it. That said a lot of people do let it lapse, but the cops have tag readers in their cars that’ll flag an uninsured motorist.
    Here in MA, many cop cars (by virtue of some government grant) have automated tag readers, and patrol the parking lots of the malls and shopping centers.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Pretty much like Massachusetts here you need to show proof of insurance to register your vehicle here, if your insurance gets cancelled the insurance company reports that to the state. It's not 100% perfect but it works pretty well.

We found out the unpleasant way that not all US states require car insurance. A young woman with her child in the back seat ran a stop sign and crashed into the side of my wife’s minivan. She lived in NH and her car was not insured. Our insurance did pay for the repair eventually. Then I guess they went after the driver to get the money from her. Her car was pretty smashed up, too.

I found that out unpleasantly too. A couple of years ago, I was waiting to turn left and a fellow rear-ended me at about 35 MPH, pushing my car into oncoming traffic, eventually involving five cars. I was fine, fortunately; the car, not so much. So we were all milling around in the dark waiting for the police to show up, and we suddenly noticed that the driver that caused it all had vanished; apparently into the woods. No license, no insurance (MN requires it), the car wasn't registered in his name, and I'd bet a fair amount he was either drunk or otherwise impaired. The owner of the car had a court hearing at which she didn't show up. Fine upstanding citizens, definitely.

My insurance paid with no problems, I replaced the car, and my rates didn't increase since it wasn't at all my fault - but I guarantee that cost is built into everybody's insurance rates; a de facto tax on those who pay for insurance as the law requires.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Thoughts?
    If you are concerned, buy insurance to cover your losses. It is rather inexpensive.
    Life is complex.

Thoughts?
    a gas tax wouldn't account for one's driving record or type of car or age of driver which are all factors in assessing risk
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Michigan is a no fault state and my employer self insures "The Great Pumpkin."
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Michigan's answer is called "no-fault" insurance, which means that you pay for damages to you and your car whether it is your fault or the other guy's. Means that you don't have to worry about anyone without insurance, since it wouldn't do you any good anyway. Insurance costs are about on par with buying a new car. Driving without insurance can get you fined, but it's still cheaper. You get plates by getting an insurance policy that lasts a month. Still cheap.

To register the car one needs insurance. Then it lapses, and no one knows until the driver is stopped.

We got hit in the back a couple of years ago. Driver gave officer proof of insurance. It turned out his insurance was NOT valid. Due to the events as they led to learning this, it was 6 months and 4 days before we all learned the card he showed was not valid. In NJ, there is a 6 month limitation on writing a summons for no insurance.

I have collision, but I have a deductible. I also, as I'm sure most do, pay a premium for 'uninsured motorist". In this case there was no claim, as there was no damage to the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Michigan's answer is called "no-fault" insurance, which means that you pay for damages to you and your car whether it is your fault or the other guy's. Means that you don't have to worry about anyone without insurance, since it wouldn't do you any good anyway. Insurance costs are about on par with buying a new car. Driving without insurance can get you fined, but it's still cheaper. You get plates by getting an insurance policy that lasts a month. Still cheap.
    I like that idea. NJ has 'now fault" in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    I like that idea. NJ has 'now fault" in name only.
    it makes for the most expensive car insurance in the nation
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Might also note that estimates of uninsured drivers are 20-30% of the drivers on the road in Michigan.