Thread: wood-structured rigid-inflatable cruising sschooner

Default wood-structured rigid-inflatable cruising sschooner

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: wood-structured rigid-inflatable cruising sschooner

Mr. Kurzman's point was what? Did he happen to have a thirty-three foot inflatable pontoon without a rigid structure and so decided to build a schooner on it? He spends eight years building all of a thirty-three foot schooner except its topsides, because several thousand years worth of refining the basic structure of on-the-water craft wasn't enough to dissuade him from believing his hybrid would be an improvement? Can he not make a wooden topsides to go with the rigid bottom and the rest of the wooden yacht with enough bouyancy? Is it because he used way more expoxy and glass than than a boat without an inflatable pontoon can provide? It seems like it's putting another set of doors and a back seat in a Miata. We compensate for the added weight by swapping the one-point-six liter four banger for a more powerful cast iron V-eight.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I used to see this fellow and his boat in Olympia.
    I tell you that is one wacky boat, Ja bless him for building it .

I just want to know what a "sschooner" is; possibly a twin-masted boat designed by a person with a drunken slur? <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It recalls the aphorism -- 'Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.'

Perhaps a conversation and a sail would dispel such cool thoughts...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

a sailing RIB?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I think I remember that guy up in Designs/Plans a few years ago. He only had a six foot wide shed to build in and wanted a family cruiser possibly for circumnavigation. He wanted something he and his six year old son could build together but his wife was nervous about sailing so it had to be something that wouldn't 'tip over' or whatever the right word for that is.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

but his wife was nervous
    There it is. Asked and answered.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

Like a Walker Bay dinghy on steroids.

Butt uglier.

I just had coffee with George this morning, and I've helped launch and haul Bella Darya a few times.

a sailing RIB?
    Yes, exactly.

I think I remember that guy up in Designs/Plans a few years ago. He only had a six foot wide shed to build in and wanted a family cruiser possibly for circumnavigation. He wanted something he and his six year old son could build together but his wife was nervous about sailing so it had to be something that wouldn't 'tip over' or whatever the right word for that is.
    Nope. George just built her as an experiment, so far as I know --he even learned the fabric construction techniques and built the tubes himself. At the very least, I can promise he has no wife and kid, that would make that story fit!

A couple years ago, however, he pulled the tubes off and built new hard sides, for lots of reasons. And she's now sloop rigged, too. She's still not conventional by any stretch of the imagination, but she's a lot less radical than she was. I thought I had some newer photos of her, from a time last year when Bella Darya and Bucephalus were sailing in company, but I can't find them.

George is one of those people who will give darn near anything a try, and so he's an excellent resource to those of us who wonder, "I wonder what would happen if...", because there's a good chance he's already experimented with it, or something like it. To his credit, he's also a very good traditional boatbuilder. Right at the moment he's about to start working on the tug Parthia --planks and cabin house, I think-- and he mentioned this morning he might be hired to do some replanking on the tug Sandman.

Alex

I had a chat with him when he had the boat in Lake Union years ago. The boat didn't look bad at all and aroused a lot of interest. You have to give him credit for his experiment.