Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there differences between races of humans?

Default Re: Are there differences between races of humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    religion seems to be one of the most important markers of an advanced species, and appears to have great advantages for the individual and larger social groups... advantages, chief of which is communing with the creator of all that is, the creator of evolution.
    Some of the bloodiest wars in history have been over religion. There are a number of conflicts going on at the moment because of religious differences. The Middle East, birthplace of three major religions...ethnic cleansing, murder and mayhem.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

religion seems to be one of the most important markers of an advanced species
    Does it, now. Just what do you mean by "advanced", exactly? And how many "advanced" species have you checked for religion?

What are you doing about it?

religion seems to be one of the most important markers of an advanced species, and appears to have great advantages for the individual and larger social groups... advantages, chief of which is communing with the creator of all that is, the creator of evolution.
    So some people actually believe that ? WOW !

"Advanced" species ?
    Great advantages for individuals ? If you can convince yourself , maybe.
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

For Daniel ....

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes
    What is with this "Advanced" species?
    If as is likely Homo naledi was using dark, remote places to cache its dead, then they had religion of some sort.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Well, you can make rats superstitious. So if you consider religion and superstition are along the same continuum (and some do, I believe) then perhaps religion is not such a reliable marker of evolutionary "advancement"

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Well, you can make rats superstitious. So if you consider religion and superstition are along the same continuum (and some do, I believe) then perhaps religion is not such a reliable marker of evolutionary "advancement"
    Rats are as evolutionarily "advanced" as any other species. Just sayin'.

What are you doing about it?

Well, Daniel sure managed to derail the thread with his silliness about religion. There's a whole pile of things that Homo sapiens does that no other species on this planet does (not to quibble about our closest relatives), from cooking food to wearing shoes to brushing our teeth to arguing about religion. Does an intelligent species have to do these things? Who the hell knows? We have a sample size of one.

Personally, I'm beginning to suspect that the reason things are getting weird is that we haven't sacrificed even a single person to Huitzilopochtli in near 500 years, and the 'creators of all that is' are angry at us.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

A Facebook meme claims that elephant brains react to seeing humans like human brains react when we see puppies. They think we look cute. . And wild dolphins tend to try to protect divers from sharks, I'm told.

I figure either thing is a better indicator of an advanced species than what we have tended to do to them. Maybe their religions are more effective.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    The ongoing brou ha ha about this is ridiculous from my perspective. I think there are differences that we ought to welcome, embrace, rather than pit one against another in political riffs.

I'm a bit of a strange Christian who believes we are all God's children. A person ought to be who they are most fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Well, Daniel sure managed to derail the thread with his silliness about religion. There's a whole pile of things that Homo sapiens does that no other species on this planet does (not to quibble about our closest relatives), from cooking food to wearing shoes to brushing our teeth to arguing about religion. Does an intelligent species have to do these things? Who the hell knows? We have a sample size of one.

Personally, I'm beginning to suspect that the reason things are getting weird is that we haven't sacrificed even a single person to Huitzilopochtli in near 500 years, and the 'creators of all that is' are angry at us.
    Not a lot to get our teeth into in the OP. Might as well extract as much humour from Da Noise as we can instead.
    Jack's problem was to call differences in culture "race".
    That opens up another can of worms though as there are many cultural behaviours that should not be embraced.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.