Thread: Lapstrake Runabout

Default Lapstrake Runabout

Hello,

I've searched the forum looking for info about lapstrake runabouts. I'm looking to buy one and found a Cruisers Inc. Seafarer which is ~16 ft LOA. It seems to be solid and the hull is nice and straight, no hog in the bottom. The hull needs to be stripped and repainted, and maybe some fasteners tightened. I'm not sure if this boat is big enough for my intended use which is family fun on a relatively protected bay on Lake Huron but hopefully a few excursions out to Mackinac, Round, and Bois Blanc Islands and also expeditions to various inland lakes.
    It would mostly be myself, wife, and two kids plus maybe a couple extra passengers.
    What are your thoughts on this hull design? Can it handle some rough water if the weather changes quickly? Or should I wait until I can find something a bit bigger? I looked at a Thompson 17' Sea Lancer which seemed considerably bigger, I really liked it but the hull was severely hogged from being unsupported on the trailer, this is more of a project than I want to take on at this time.

Thanks everyone!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Lapstrake Runabout

I think you have answered your own question .
    A bigger boat in better shape for six people .

Bigger. Take a look at all the small runabout photos, rarely do you see them with more than 2 adults 2 kids except at Fun Meets. And even rare is to see them in choppy water, aka rough water. With a 16 foot boat you can have family fun on mostly flat water, lots of smiles then. This opinion from our experience with our 15 foot Sorg Runabout WILLOW on our bay, 6 miles across. We can take some chop when the wind picks up but we have to go real slow and it is a roller coaster ride, usually not fun for passengers. I'd look for some 22 Utilities. And look at what other folks are using to go to the places you mentioned. Good luck!

WILLOW Thread

FMI: Small Boat Restoration WILLOW Log

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

I think I know the waters that you are thinking of cruising in up in MI. We spend time in the Les Cheneaux Islands. Family up there has a nice Lyman lapstrake since it was purchased in the '60's.
    Lots of older lapstrakes up there still in use today. Their inboard '20(ish) lyman used to do at least an annual trip over to Mackinac Island. 6 people no problem. The '16 Seafarer might be a bit small for your plans. However, we have learned it is the prudent pilot that really determines success in those waters. As you know it can kick up pretty fast and I wouldn't want to be out there in even the bigger Lyman then.
    That being said, I think it would make a great bay boat and do well in protected waters, just not out on the big lake. IMHO

That's good insight everyone, I've never been in a lapstrake runabout so I'm thinking of just waiting for something bigger to come along or build one if I don't find the right one. The primary use will be in Tawas Bay but I don't want to be limited.

Cruisers Inc. was a spin off that came out of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co., therefore the design and construction of each line is very similar. These designs are very seaworthy. I grew up with an 18 ft. T & T Boats, Inc. (another Thompson spin-off) which we used on Lake Michigan's Green Bay.

A 16 ft. Cruisers, Inc. Seafarer might be small for three adults and two kids. In fact it will be kinda freaky deaky on Lake Huron inmany conditions in my opinion. Cruisers, Inc. had larger models.

There is a constant stream of these types of boats on craigslist and eBay

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg Co and Thompson Boat Co of NY also had models larger than 16 ft. I have a 1957 Thompson Bros. of Peshtigo 16'-7" Sea Lancer that I have used on Green Bay and also Lake Superior in the Apostle Islands.

There are at least two facebook pages devoted to Thompson et.al. and www.thompsondockside.com plus the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally, Inc. which has an instagram presence

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
    President
    Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally, Inc., a non-profit corporation

Thanks Andreas, that confirms my suspicion that it would be too small.