Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Watches

Default Mechanical Watches

Who else here is a fan of mechanical/automatic watches? Amazing pieces of obsolete machinery. Kind of like some of our boats

I just got my second Orient watch. This one is mechanical, a hand winder. It's currently accurate to 5 seconds a day. My other Orient is an automatic, self winder. It's runs about 13 seconds a day fast. Not bad for $200 watches

Elect a clown expect a circus

Default Re: Mechanical Watches

Me.
    I wreck wrist watches, so I use one of these
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Me.
    I wreck wrist watches, so I use one of these
    What does something like that cost? I love the engine jeweling on the inside of the covers!
    PaulF

I carried cheap pocket watches for years. One of them broke when I was fishing (the hands spun like the blades of a fan and then moved no more.) I tossed in 50 fathom straight out from the entrance to the Yaquina River. I told my boss, "Now, I will always know where my watch is."

My other Orient, a bit dressier:

watches are cool works of art and mastery of machinery. but i can't stand wearing accessories. i don't even wear my wedding ring bc it drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    watches are cool works of art and mastery of machinery. but i can't stand wearing accessories. i don't even wear my wedding ring bc it drives me nuts.
    Same here... a watch and/or a ring irritates my skin.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    As an EE I've been shocked because of my ring, Have herd of folks burning their finger off because of one.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Same here... a watch and/or a ring irritates my skin.

add to that, i know 2 people personally that have lost their wedding ring fingers b/c the ring got caught on something and ripped it off.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    As an EE I've been shocked because of my ring, Have herd of folks burning their finger off because of one.
    Yup, that's another excellent reason. I don't know of any such episodes, personally, but it's one reason I'm glad I never wore any rings while working.

Still, I've been zapped MANY times... most recently, while working for ClearView Audio, on a 400 volt, 400KHz class D amplifier.... boy does that sting!
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Yup, that's another excellent reason. I don't know of any such episodes, personally, but it's one reason I'm glad I never wore any rings while working.

Still, I've been zapped MANY times... most recently, while working for ClearView Audio, on a 400 volt, 400KHz class D amplifier.... boy does that sting!
    400V at 400K...that will sting! Sonar systems have a good jolt as well!
    PaulF

What does something like that cost? I love the engine jeweling on the inside of the covers!
    Rotary Gents Half Hunter Mechanical Pocket Watch

Product Code: MP00712/01
    Item in Stock

• (FREE UK Delivery*)
    • RRP 189.00
    • |
    • Save 47.25 (25%)

from https://www.britishwatchcompany.com/...00712-01-p3750 one of many suppliers.

I have probably 30 of them and another dozen clocks. Worn a Rolex as an everyday watch since I was 14, the first one cost $65.00 bucks they went up from there.

Time is precious, regulate it with class.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Rotary Gents Half Hunter Mechanical Pocket Watch

Product Code: MP00712/01
    Item in Stock

• (FREE UK Delivery*)
    • RRP 189.00
    • |
    • Save 47.25 (25%)

from https://www.britishwatchcompany.com/...00712-01-p3750 one of many suppliers.
    That's not terribly expensive, but would hurt if you lost it.
    PaulF

That's not terribly expensive, but would hurt if you lost it.
    A nice small carabina on its chain clipped to a belt loop is as secure as I can manage.
    I have a silver Albert for formulas ware.

I once shorted the positive of a VW bug battery to the seat frame via my wedding ring. Burnt like bacon!
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

Quote Originally Posted by alanmc View Post
    add to that, i know 2 people personally that have lost their wedding ring fingers b/c the ring got caught on something and ripped it off.
    don't google "ring avulsion"! Pics ain't pretty.

Can't wear mechanical watches, I magnetise them. Grandfather couldn't even wear his fob watch. Consequently I got used to not wearing one and I do not own a watch now. I did have an Omega diving watch when I was working as a scuba diver, a long time ago now.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Taught early on... sailors do not wear jewelry. I had a buck knife on my rope belt when I got married .Wind up ships bell air guide on the boat .. bong bong . There is an add for wristwatches at the bottom of this page!!!!

Sku, go to a good watchman, they will demagnetise a watch and you will have no more problems, they do it with the better watches as part of any repair or service anyway.
    I used to think I couldn't wear wind up watches for the same reason until I startted to get interested in the better stuff and found a proper horologist. I now have maybe ten various mechanical watches from a curious BoCtok 24 hour russian job through various lesser Swiss marques to a 70s Breitling and a 1947 Rolex oyster, ..totally not bling, no flash bezel no date, bells and whistles, just a water resistant accurate to about two or three seconds a week as long as I wear it every day and wind it about once a day, not auto, and more accurate than any number of other digital jobs around the house, the clock on the cooker, the one in the car.....
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Don't need one now jonboy, and interestingly having started my career as an apprentice in the print industry I don't wear rings, ties, anything that dangles including lanyards, loose clothing around machinery. I later got involved in H&S long before any employer was vaguely interested.

I've had this cheap Stauer for ten years. It still keeps good time. I bought it for $99 dollars, I saw the ad in a National Geographic. Now it will set you back a whole $149 USD.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    I've had this cheap Stauer for ten years. It still keeps good time. I bought it for $99 dollars, I saw the ad in a National Geographic. Now it will set you back a whole $149 USD.

Nice watch, but I am not sure I need a watch to tell me the month...

point taken Stu... i'm sure I'm not alone but if I don't wear a watch at all for three or four weeks I know the time even if I wake in the middle of the night, to about ten or fifteen minutes... Haven't used an alarm clock since I don't remember when .... even important stuff like having to get up for an unusually early start to catch a flight, when 'er indoors sets the alarm , I wake about twenty seconds before her alarm goes off.

I like mechanical watches and clocks like I like motorcycles and cars with points and carburettors, and boats with cleats and hand winches.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

I have a wind-up pocket watch. Its cheap, but it was my grandfathers.

I don't carry that watch much, nor regularly wear any wristwatches. They snag on stuff, and, truthfully, the time is everywhere. Everywhere.

And in those rare places where time is not displayed, I have little use for a clock anyway.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

In some US Navy WW2 survival kits were 3 or 4 wind up watches intended to be traded with the islanders.The loud tik-tok was more important than any horogical accuracy. My ex bro-in-law found a cache of them at Clark AFB in the 60s. He gave one to my sis. She kept it tik-toking away for 12 years.

When you manage an operation that is time orientated a wrist clock is required. I suppose now a days you just reach into your pocket, press a button or two and tell whomever, it's not done yet. They probably will do the same and scurry back to where ever they were and enjoy the free wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    When you manage an operation that is time orientated a wrist clock is required. I suppose now a days you just reach into your pocket, press a button or two and tell whomever, it's not done yet. They probably will do the same and scurry back to where ever they were and enjoy the free wifi.
    i have at least 200 stopwatches at my kennel/lab
    plus at least an additional fifty countertop timers
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i have at least 200 stopwatches at my kennel/lab
    plus at least an additional fifty countertop timers
    but are they mechanical???

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    but are they mechanical???
    not a one, who could affordably rely on such?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    not a one, who could affordably rely on such?
    but, but, but that's not the point....

If I want accurate time, I wear my quartz watch

I once got 'bit' by 400 hertz / cycle power when I was pointing out a component in a military shipboard system using my little finger.... the charge apparently jumped a 2" air gap ---- that finger tingled for a couple hours

Rick

I wear a cheap Timex for an everyday watch. My life is full of banging things around and a nice watch wouldn't last long. I've got a half-decent mechanical watch for Sundays and special events.
    I also have a vintage Waltham pocket watch that's been passed down through the Jones generations. It's a really nice timepiece that spends 99.9% of it's time in my wife's jewelry case.
    My cheap Timex goes on my wrist right after I put on my eyeglasses in the morning. I'd go nuts without a watch on my wrist.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

When quartz watches first came out, everyone had to have one and I learned to respect that they were were far superior in accuracy when I needed that. I don't own a cell phone and still have need for accurate time. Now its difficult to find a decent digital watch that is not so large and heavy that it rivals the old pocket watches. Casio and Timex loaded with way too many unused functions seem to be about all that is offered since I am not the least interested in fashion or stylishness. I find it rather funny that people pay big bucks for a mechanical marvel that is inferior in accuracy or lifetime to the cheap one I wear.
    Tom L

I have one of these, A Citizen Eco Drive solar. It's not really mechanical though it looks like an old Seiko, but it never stops, doesn't need winding or batteries. I don't wear it much but when I do need an accurate watch this is good.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead