Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wicked stawm' comin'

Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Yes, the weather is rather nice out your way, but we here in New England don't have to worry about drought, wildfires and earthquakes!
    Neither do I. The last wildfire or mudslide was 4 hrs away the equivalent of you talking about a fire in New Jersey. We've had about 500 earthquakes since we moved here haven't been woken up yet. As far as a drought I've not missed a shower or been thirsty
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

1, week's worth of firewood in the house Check
    2, kindling Check
    3, gas for the tractor and generator Check
    4, groceries Check
    5, extra bottle of propane Check
    6, beer and wine Check
    7, new book Check
    8, handle of beam check

damn I forgot propane!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Why is beer and wine way down at #6 on the list? A couple of bottles of Merlot was #1 on mine!
    As soon as I'm plowed out tomorrow morning, I'm going skiing! It's gonna be great. The wine will taste extra good, sitting in front of the woodstove after a day of skiing. Sure hope my wife keeps the fire burning all day...
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Still waiting on the snow. It's falling, but nothing has accumulated - too warm for the moment.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Wind has been howling here, but very little precip. It's sleeting now, but lightly.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    1, week's worth of firewood in the house Check
    2, kindling Check
    3, gas for the tractor and generator Check
    4, groceries Check
    5, extra bottle of propane Check
    6, beer and wine Check
    7, new book Check
    8, handle of beam check
    Chris, I was with you thru #7, can you give more detail on #8 - perhaps I am 'slow on the uptake' today

Rick

Big storm at night is something less than optimum. Hope all are well!

weather guessers here can't make up their minds. One forecast says 8-18, another 1-3 and the third one no snow accumulation. They should have it figured out by Friday. I put the plow on the truck just in case. No matter what happens I have to drive across the island tomorrow morning since I have a 9:30 appointment in the cancer clinic at the hospital.

It took a while to crank up, but it's coming down at a rate of 2" per hour right now. Nice fluffy stuff, too.

I keep a weather log each winter to track temperatures and snowfall. Interesting fact: last year, one week from today, we got an 18" snowfall. Wonder if we'll beat that with this storm.
    It seems that we never get really dumped on up here. We just don't get storms that exceed 18" and even that is rare. We get plenty of snow, but in 6"-8" increments. Not like the freak coastal storms that will dump 24" or more on Long Island, Boston and even Washington, D.C.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Maybe it will dig up another ship, or bury this on again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c041f42fce73

Attachment 12177

A "Revolutionary War era sloop"??? wow more FAKE NEWS from the WP.

PS all rain here so far, plenty of wind.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Chris, I was with you thru #7, can you give more detail on #8 - perhaps I am 'slow on the uptake' today

Rick
    #8 is a big glass bottle with handle of Jim Beam, yup mildly hungover this morning.

14" so far with another 4" or so predicted. Guy came to plow my driveway at 2 a.m. He'll make another pass later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    14" so far with another 4" or so predicted. Guy came to plow my driveway at 2 a.m. He'll make another pass later today.
    Had maybe 4-5" with some flurries still coming down. No new accumulation expected here. Was pretty much a bust from what they were predicting.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Nawmin? A'ye'r all well theah?

Two of my trees fell on my neighbor's new fence....damn. I hate when that happens.
    Last edited by Fitz; 03-08-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

1, Board Shorts Check
    2, Flip Flops Check
    3, Gas for the Vespa Check
    4, BBQ Check
    5, Extra bottle of chilled white Check
    6, Beach Chairs Check
    7, Beach Towels Check
    8, Just another SoCal day in the mid 70's Check

Yannow, Joe, I like you an' all, but being able to predict that you're gonna show up to crow about how good you got it when others are sufferin' is gettin' a bit old, buddy. Kinda like kicking a guy when he's down, yannow?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I just got in from using the snowblower.... or, more properly, TRYING to use the snowblower. What fell overnight, has the consistency of wet concrete.... and the auger blades of the snowblower merely compacted what was there, into a soggy wet icy mess. The basic function of the snowblower was to serve as a sort of inferior plow.

Worse, the new, 'advanced' airless tires are a bust.... no lateral grip whatsoever, and the lateral treads merely accumulated saturated ice and snow, reducing traction to virtually nothing. I don't know why Troy-Built switched to these tire types.... the pneumatic tires on my last Troy-Built were just fine.
    Last edited by Norman Bernstein; 03-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Worse, the new, 'advanced' airless tires are a bust.... no lateral grip whatsoever, and the lateral treads merely accumulated saturated ice and snow, reducing traction to virtually nothing. I don't know why Troy-Built switched to these tire types.... the pneumatic tires on my last Troy-Built were just fine.
    That sucks. You can buy knobby pneumatic tires in a variety of sizes at any hardware store. (Just saying)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    That sucks. You can buy knobby pneumatic tires in a variety of sizes at any hardware store. (Just saying)
    I'm not sure the axles would be compatible... but I'll probably look into it. I completely fail to see the advantage of these new tires.... I never had any problems with pneumatic tires that had aggressive treads, and they certainly provided better traction.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    1, Board Shorts Check
    2, Flip Flops Check
    3, Gas for the Vespa Check
    4, BBQ Check
    5, Extra bottle of chilled white Check
    6, Beach Chairs Check
    7, Beach Towels Check
    8, Just another SoCal day in the mid 70's Check
    Ten or fifteen years of that I'd probably get board.

At first light we had a foot.
    When I got out with the snowblower at 7, it had compacted/melted to about 8" of wet concrete.... my Husqvarna is better than your troybilt

A few of the maples shed some substantial limbs, but nothing requiring immediate attention.

1 mile north is a whole other story. 16" of wet concrete, large trees down, power down for a few days probably.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I just got in from using the snowblower.... or, more properly, TRYING to use the snowblower. What fell overnight, has the consistency of wet concrete.... and the auger blades of the snowblower merely compacted hat was there, into a soggy wet icy mess. The basic function of the snowblower was to serve as a sort of inferior plow.

Norman, I probably don't have to say this -- but, do not try to clear the discharge chute by hand... Also, you may want to buy some tire chains and wheel weights (similar to those on a small yard tractor) to give better traction.. At my farm in Minnesota, I had 900' of gravel driveway to clear, and before I fitted my 8 hp snowblower with chains and longer skid plates, I could only clear downhill, then fight it back up the hill. Just a suggestion

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Norman, I probably don't have to say this -- but, do not try to clear the discharge chute by hand... Also, you may want to buy some tire chains and wheel weights (similar to those on a small yard tractor) to give better traction.. At my farm in Minnesota, I had 900' of gravel driveway to clear, and before I fitted my 8 hp snowblower with chains and longer skid plates, I could only clear downhill, then fight it back up the hill. Just a suggestion
    Chains might not be a bad idea... never needed them with regular pneumatic tires, but these airless ones are hopeless.

BTW, TroyBilt does not support the changing of tires on my model... I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Chains might not be a bad idea... never needed them with regular pneumatic tires, but these airless ones are hopeless.

BTW, TroyBilt does not support the changing of tires on my model... I asked.
    Take a look at the website for 'Northern Tool' - (no affiliation) - they may have wheel/tire assemblies which could interchange with the ones on your snowblower --- only a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Yannow, Joe, I like you an' all, but being able to predict that you're gonna show up to crow about how good you got it when others are sufferin' is gettin' a bit old, buddy. Kinda like kicking a guy when he's down, yannow?
    T'was mid 70's today I suffered because it was a bit overcast.

We got 15" but across the state and south some places got 30"+
    Supposed to be flurries the next few days
    Worst thing was the Jiffy Mart never got the Times

12" of wet snow here. It was hard plowing because it was very sticky and tended to pile up in front of the plow without sliding off. On top of that there were two trees down on my road. One across the road and one on the power lines. Yup, lost power at 7:30 AM and got it back at 4 PM. Plow guy also managed to slide off the road and got stuck for an hour. Way too much digging to get him out.

Classy, Joe.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Two feet of snow