Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 68

Thread: Wicked stawm' comin'

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,897

    Default Wicked stawm' comin'

    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    90,734

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    18 to 24 inches

    holy ******* ****
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    15,559

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    18 to 24 inches

    holy ******* ****
    Welcome to Spring in New England.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,897

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    We are in the 'yellow' zone (8-12") but predictions like these are amorphous, so I don't put a lot of credence in the amounts... although I do believe the indicated severity.

    My biggest concern: the trees around my house. Hundreds fell around town last week in the extreme wind... and with more heavy winds, plus heavy wet snow, it's bound to be even worse. The trees around my house are mostly pines, not the strongest species.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    51,169

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    12-18" where I used to live in New Hampshire. Even the locals will be impressed with THAT dump. I miss the snow. Don't miss the shoveling. Or how long it takes to accomplish anything when all vehicles have to be dug out first, and there are places you can't even get to, and hauling tools anywhere (dock, boathouse, barn, home, shed) becomes an Olympic Event.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    90,734

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I'm a fast reader, so the title jumped out at me as "Wicked strawman comin."

    I thought how appropriate for the bilge, and wondered what it would be this time. Then I realized that I was mistaken.
    obviously norm is a casey afleck fan
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    51,169

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I'm a fast reader, so the title jumped out at me as "Wicked strawman comin."

    I thought how appropriate for the bilge, and wondered what it would be this time. Then I realized that I was mistaken.
    That was my first glance reaction as well. I started looking around for bbbbbybs <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    15,559

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    obviously norm is a casey afleck fan
    Well then, if Norm truly is a Casey Afleck fan, the big question is "Is Dunkin' open?"
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,897

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    obviously norm is a casey afleck fan
    Only the locals will get it

    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,897

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    The photo that started it all (and Dunkin' is ALWAYS open):

    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,897

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Even on the highway:

    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Too far inland.
    Posts
    8,934

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    I'm right on the edge of the 8-12" and 12-18" line, so I guess I'll get 8-18"

    The weight is the thing. All predictions I've read are calling for wet heavy snow, no fluffy powder on this one.
    Was it just last week that I was talking about the snowblower only being used twice this year?

    Norm my thinking on the trees goes the other way. The blow last weekend cleared out all the weak or exposed trees, leaving additional damage from this next one LESS likely, not more likely.

    Having said that, I'm still going to browbeat my dad into checking into a hotel. He just spent three days in a cold house nursing a 40 year old generator along, he does not need a repeat.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    15,559

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    The photo that started it all (and Dunkin' is ALWAYS open):
    We discovered that wasn't true a while back. There was a HUGE snowstorm and we were trying to feed customers who'd arrived from Southern New Mexico and literally nothing was open for us to feed them lunch. We figured we could at least get some sandwiches at Dunkin. Nope. Closed.

    Must be sorta like the Waffle House thing with Hurricanes - if Waffle House or Dunkin' is closed, it's gotta be bad out.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,897

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    We discovered that wasn't true a while back. There was a HUGE snowstorm and we were trying to feed customers who'd arrived from Southern New Mexico and literally nothing was open for us to feed them lunch. We figured we could at least get some sandwiches at Dunkin. Nope. Closed.

    Must be sorta like the Waffle House thing with Hurricanes - if Waffle House or Dunkin' is closed, it's gotta be bad out.
    Yeah, you're right... SOME DD's aren't open 24 hours... and many will close in a weather crisis.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    51,169

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Who wrote that? That chowdahead needs to toss it in da barrel, and book on down and get on the state.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    15,559

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Who wrote that? That chowdahead needs to toss it in da barrel, and book on down and get on the state.
    Another Old Boston favorite that I haven't heard in a while : chuckleheads.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    15,396

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    I had to pick up my hundred pounder and move into deeper water away from the beach...big swells reaching here from last weeks stawm. Dingy docks washed out, ( I don’t use em anyway),seas and sand on street, ferry service screwed up.
    The laughing gulls arrived yesterday, that is the first sign of spring here .

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulgong. Central west N.S.W. Australia
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    I was talking to a woman in the UK- Penrith area I believe- who managed to get out to the shops yesterday after being snowed in since Wednesday last week. Ten foot drifts and no food left in the house- the novelty had worn off Autumn has arrived at my place- ten degrees cooler than a week ago, the air is fresher, the light is different- and the days are way shorter- I'm back to getting up in pitch darkness again. JayInOz

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    11,210

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Up to 14" predicted here in Vermont. Good. The ski resorts could use it and I'd like to hit the slopes a couple more times before hanging up the skis for the year. Good snowshoeing, too.
    I'm cheating this year and hired a guy to plow my driveway, so life is good. Let it snow.
    Of course, as I'm typing this on one computer, my wife is on the other computer googling condos for sale in Florida! She's not so happy about this storm. She wants spring yesterday.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,611

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Hostile environment.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    10,839

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    3rd "once in a generation" storm this year.

    By "generation" are they referring to fruit flies?
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

  22. #22

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Firmly in the 18" zone here, the black berries had started getting ready to bud, so much for an early spring.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    in Orygun
    Posts
    2,688

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Meanwhile the winter daphne and daffodils that started blooming in early February have continued on after the brief cold snap late in the month. Sunny day, rain by Thursday.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitty Hawk, NC
    Posts
    7,413

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    It is Winter. When you get a forecast like that in the Summer, stay home from work.
    Life is complex.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Up to camp
    Posts
    8,021

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Daffodils and crocuses (crocii?) are blooming here in the mid-Chesapeake.
    Steve Martinsen

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    16,259

    Default Wicked stawm' comin'

    So, I am gifted this new to me snowblower today, just an hour ago.





    Lo and behold, I am on the rain only side of the line.



    Kevin


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    30,897

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,897

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    11,210

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Yes, the weather is rather nice out your way, but we here in New England don't have to worry about drought, wildfires and earthquakes!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    17,007

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Yes, the weather is rather nice out your way, but we here in New England don't have to worry about drought, wildfires and earthquakes!
    Yea, how loud’ll he be laughing after he falls into the Pacific Ocean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I have had that exact thing happen to me!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    51,968

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Autumn has arrived here, but no rain. ''Dry as a dead dingo's donger" as Shane used to say.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    6,610

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    __________________________________________________ ________________________

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    51,968

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Why hasn't anyone put their hand up for a restoration project?

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    N. Fal on Cape Cod
    Posts
    15,856

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    The Cape is cheated again. Sigh.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

    Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    23,762

    Default Re: Wicked stawm' comin'

    Restoration! That's rich. Good one Sku! Archeologists are likely in the offing. Hope so.

    As to the "stawm" and the one on its heels... ****e, I knew winter wasn't over quite yet, but it is March and "The lion shall lie down with the lamb."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •