Thread: The Deadliest Animals in The US Probably Aren't What You Think They Are

Default The Deadliest Animals in The US Probably Aren't What You Think They Are

/* For Aussie Barney */

The Deadliest Animals in The US Probably Aren't What You Think They Are (ARTICLE LINK)

Excerpt
    Bears. Is it bears? That's what many of you may be wondering right now. Or maybe sharks. Wolves. Venomous snakes that won't let go of your ankle.

When we think of deadly animals, it's easy to imagine that fearsome creatures in the wild pose the greatest danger to people, but a new analysis of human fatalities due to animals in the US shows the usual suspects aren't the dangers to society we dread them to be.

"Importantly, most deaths are not actually due to wild animals like mountain lions, wolves, bears, sharks, etc." says surgeon Jared A. Forrester from Stanford University, who led an investigation into fatalities due to animals in the period 20082015, based on data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

"So, while it is important that people recreating in the wilderness know what to do when they encounter a potentially dangerous animal, the actual risk of death is quite low."

But if wild animals with sharp teeth and claws aren't the biggest risk to people, what is?
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: The Deadliest Animals in The US Probably Aren't What You Think They Are

What ever it is.... it lives in Australia!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: The Deadliest Animals in The US Probably Aren't What You Think They Are

Americans are the deadliest animals in America. They kill around 30,000+ a year.

^good point!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Controlling urge to be snarkastic again but I just promised I wouldn't be in another thread not five minutes ago.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

We're just lucky that we aren't in the UK.

Oh there's no problem there, just fart in their general direction……………………..

Sub microscopic critters.

Bees: people dying from allergic reactions
    Elect a clown expect a circus

[IMG][/IMG]
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

I'm still not going to ride a bike in Oz.

That does it , next time I'm standing between a cow and a grizzly bar I'll run to the bear crying mamma.

I have not yet clicked on the link... I am guessing mosquitoes or ticks. Unless insects are not considered "animals."

OK. I guessed wrong. Evidently the authors of the article were considering immediate deaths (a pack of pit bulls or a grizzly bear tears you apart) rather than deaths as a result of disease transmitted by animals.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 03-06-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I would ‘ve guessed mosquitos .

Without clicking the link, people are the most dangerous animals in the US.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Clicked the link. A politically ''correct'' or at least politically cautious finding from the available data !
    Grateful Dead

I presume microorganisms don't count. It's not surprising, though; the number of human interactions with cattle and horses and dogs is VASTLY greater than with, say, bears or alligators. Lots more chances for things to go wrong.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Sharpie, I still reckon a cranky something that has more teeth than a chainsaw, who wakes up in a worse mood than my bride and weighs in at around 1900lbs is going to make me have nightmares.

We don't anything on that scale, all we have is a few snakes an a couple of spiders to worry about. At least they can't chase you up a tree, tear off your left leg and beat you to death with it.

It is a blowout to hear that farm animals cause so many fatalities.

The stats about small children and the family dog is just tragic

Bulls raised as pets are dangerous animals when they're adults. Sometimes they forget they're bulls and want to play, the farmer usually dies.
    Grateful Dead

In Aus…...
    Back in 2011, Australia’s National Coronial Information System (NCIS) released its most recent report into the trends and patterns surrounding animal-related deaths in Australia, covering the first decade of this century.
    Of the 254 confirmed and reported animal-related deaths during that 10-year period, horses, cows and dogs were the most frequent culprits, accounting for 137 deaths.