Thread: IF , a big IF

Default IF , a big IF

IF were to get another yacht , I'm trying to look for what I would buy.
    I'm guessing whatever I buy I'll need crew.
    So if I were to buy a yacht , and moor her near some of our kids , maybe that would be a start ?.
    I like this https://www.boatsalestas.com.au/sail...salind/210998/ , but I'd really like a gaffer.
    I'll be trolling , and that looks very possible from this boat.
    Any other issues I haven't seen ?.
    The only other thing I can see is fish scales on the sole , and in the cabin.
    Rob J.

Default Re: IF , a big IF

Didn't you have a neat little motorsailer in mind to have built Rob ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes I did Peter , except the designer wouldn't sell me the plans.
    Rob J.

I'd hang about in that cockpit a bit before getting too serious. Does that helm seat undeploy easily enough that you can stand at the helm? Are the side seats wide enough to sit on? She does look easily singlehanded even assuming some advancing mobility and strength issues and the accomodation fits that notion. I find cleaning fish easier to do standing and with that in mind it would be easy to make a table that hangs on the rail and is fiddled or guttered on three sides so it only dumps overboard. Maybe invest a couple bucks in one of those hand pump garden sprayers to direct just enough water when working on the fish.

That prop doesn't seem to have much clearance in the aperture.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Looks like a stretched Tahiti. Lovely timber selection. Dunno about the shag pile carpet though. Not exactly a cockpit for lounging in. Its a lot of tankage for what looks like a dayboat. Didnt seem to be much in the way of sea going berths......or maybe thats why the sole has comfy carpet?

Very nice looking boat. Cockpit looks small for having good space for many crew aboard. To me, it looks tiny with very little lounging space for having a drink with the crew at the end of the day.
    Tom L

She is certainly handsome. Bulwarks and lifelines for safe footing.

I'd put a meaningful sill on that companionway.

That does seem like a tiny cockpit for so much boat.

Then there is this:

What's up with all those exposed bolts in the knee? Ouch!
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Thanks gentlemen , I appreciate all of your comments.
    Regards Rob J.

This would be nice , I know. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/0b...fc0aa6d2a8.jpg
    It is just like my Grey seal , only beamier.
    And a very long way away.
    Rob J.

Handsome was the word I thought of too Rob. The cockpit is small and the outside helm a bit cramped, I get the feeling it was not designed for a lot of use.

And then there is this , the other end of the spectrum https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...y-belle/154260 .
    I've been following her for years.
    I'd love to be able to take her to someone like Garry Stewart , and just say "Fix it Garry , as a Gaff Ketch".
    Of course , that is never going to happen.
    And I probably wouldn't sail it much anyway , I'd be happy just listening to that 4L3.
    Rob J.

The cockpit and cabin on the Swedish boat are about the same as HS , hopefully the seating is better.
    Less chance of cracking your head on the boom.
    But what amazes me is how beamy she is , and how easy it would be to walk around her , compared to HS.
    The big thing would be a dunny.
    It would have to have a dunny , particularly if there are going to be women aboard.
    She would be nice to sail .
    Very familiar , but better in lots of ways.
    I believe these boats are derived from traditional open Swedish fishing boats.
    Regards Rob J.

That Elly is a beauty. Too bad she's on the other side of the world. You'll find something great, closer to you. I spent two years searching for Wandering Star, visiting boats from Maryland to Maine, and calling about one in California. I routinely checked ebay, craigslist and yachtworld. Good luck.
    You might visit that first boat before ruling her out.

Yes , when the rains come , we will visit Tassie , and I most certainly will be doing the rounds of the boat yards and marinas.
    Regards Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Handsome was the word I thought of too Rob. The cockpit is small and the outside helm a bit cramped, I get the feeling it was not designed for a lot of use.
    Or......maybe designed for use in an area completely different from yours?

Yes , very true.
    Tell us please , more about that style of boat , its history.
    Regards Rob J.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Or......maybe designed for use in an area completely different from yours?

Years ago I was on a Swedish wooden boat site.
    For a while I tried Google , but apparently some of the supposed translations were quite obscene.
    I tried posting in English , and even though most spoke good English , it didn't go so well either.
    Which I understand.
    But some of the boats I saw on that site were just stunningly beautiful.
    I'd like to know the history of boats like Elly , if I could , please.
    Regards Rob J.

Nearly $80k for a trad wood boat? Struth! Only wooden boats I see for sale on the west coast just sit on the market with no takers even when the price is reduced to almost zero (couta boats an exception since they're so fashionable). I would think for that kind of budget there would be a lot of choice available to the buyer.

Well , maybe.
    I'm looking !.
    We have just been over to WA , stayed at Freo , don't think I saw a wooden boat at all.
    Saw lots of hideous crap I wouldn't even step on to.
    Oh , we did see a little ketch gaffer on a trailer , it looked very very nice.
    Couta boats yes , are very trendy.
    And all modern racing trendy at that.
    I had the good fortune to sail on 3 fair dinkum 'couta boats , that had fished and crayed for many years.
    Not a tiller extension among 'em !.
    I'm still looking , a trip to Tassie might be the go.
    Regards Rob J.
    Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Nearly $80k for a trad wood boat? Struth! Only wooden boats I see for sale on the west coast just sit on the market with no takers even when the price is reduced to almost zero (couta boats an exception since they're so fashionable). I would think for that kind of budget there would be a lot of choice available to the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Well , maybe.
    I'm looking !.
    We have just been over to WA , stayed at Freo , don't think I saw a wooden boat at all.
    I had the good fortune to sail on 3 fair dinkum 'couta boats , that had fished and crayed for many years.
    Regards Rob J.
    A trip to Tassie is always good thing in my limited opinion. I've only been there twice and both times I came back full of life and wishing I could move there. I could spend a very long time just looking at boats in Tassie.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Yes , we will get to chill out (pun intended) in Tassie Bruce , when we no longer need to water here.
    And I'll be looking at the boats.
    Especially the "for sale" boats.
    I remember going there for a bullock driving event at Easter , turn of the century.
    A lot of people froze in tents.
    I had hired a small campervan , but I was ungraded to a motorhome , with a big window in the lounge , in the back.
    So , in the setting sun , I was behind glass , having a nice cold beer.
    In the morning , the first thing I did was turn the bus around , so I had full sun behind glass , for breakfast , while the others struggled in their tents in the frost .
    We will do similar this time too , I think.
    Regards Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Well , maybe.
    I'm looking !.
    Regards Rob J.
    Freo isn't what it used to be. Famous boat yards Marko's and also Kailis bros have both closed, but when they were there then lots of traditional sailing boats were being worked on right there in the heart of Freo. I used to be seen there from Dawn till dusk for a week or two every year (working on my, ahem... plastic boat). Also in the B shed down at the wharf there was boat building taking place, but... alas that too seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

jealous of your couta experience. I occasionally crew on a mate's IOR racer cruiser on the river... often see the couta fleet out there racing near us and have plenty of opportunities to see them point higher and go faster than the plastic fantastic boats covered in shiny go fast bling. Makes me laugh every time.

Yes , we too were really disappointed in what Freo has become.
    I crewed on a small 23 ft 'couta boat , just the skipper and I , and when we were really on , yes we would really take it up to the bigger TS boats.
    But to me , it was a lot more fun on the 'couta boat , they have so much character.
    I'm trying to think of the name of the boat style on the trailer at Freo.
    It is another classic , and would be awesome on the river.
    It wouldn't have to race , to be a winner.
    Rob J.

J.